Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Escaping the internet

:iconkenspectre:
KenSpectre Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have the tendency to look on internet for references and such.
Yet, in the end it either keeps me looking at pictures all day long or my eyes start to hurt from looking from paper to screen continuously.

How do most of you deal with the presence of internet and the sorts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcoldblackraven:
ColdBlackRaven Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I tempt other people in my house into using the internet so I won't get distracted :D always works
:iconrookieowl:
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm used to search all the references I may need on the week (first the What I am going to draw? What do I need?) I put the images in my PSP (or in your case cell phone/iPad etc.) and there I go :D
KenSpectre Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Isn't the screen of a psp or phone too small?
:iconrookieowl:
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
not to me :shrug:
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
First you might want to get the Flux app if your eyes are hurting. It's done wonders for my eyes.

Also, there's some programs that will shut off the internet for a certain amount of time that can be useful.

Honestly, I'd draw a picture first and look through refs to help fix mistakes.
The problem is not so much the screen but I'm also a programmer; so I'm almost constantly on the computer this way
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Turn of the computer ;) And/or get books to use as references instead.

Kinda lame advice :XD:
No, not lame. Actually a good idea ;)
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student General Artist
:)
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Wow! GUILTY!!!!! I do the same thing...makes me wonder if you're doing to yourself what I do. I look for references/inspiration. Collect it. Organize it. Even have glimpses in my imagination of what to do with all the cool shit I've gathered...but what I've ended up doing is satisfying the creative urge. My art style is pretty much collage, actual or drawing, calling upon multiple references to create an image. Collecting all those multiple references...in my head I've done the work. The paper on my drawing paper is horribly blank.
:iconcnids:
Cnids Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have to ban myself from the internet when I'm in the middle of a piece. I find that a lot of the time if I start browsing dA I do the whole "OH GOD I SUCK ASS AT PAINTING" thing and can't finish the piece for a while while I convince myself that I'm not complete rubbish.

Something I've also found helpful is to save a reference folder (categorized, of course) of interesting and useful things you come across while browsing the internet. That way you have some references of neat stuff for when you need some inspiration, but you're not going to get sucked into the black hole that is the rest of the world's art.
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
The Pomodoro Technique has helped me in the past.

Currently my brain hack is that I stop working at 5pm, that creates a nice sense of urgency and helps keep me from going down Internet rabbit holes.

Also there's the option of going away from the net. Me, my laptop, and my Wacom tablet are a pretty regular sight at some of the local coffee shops. Sure, they have wifi, and my laptop knows the passwords... but I also know that I'm out here to Get Some Drawing Done.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i almost never escape it =(
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Oh yes, the Internet. I have to work pretty hard to stay off it.

What I do is set an amount of time each day that I want to spend drawing and not gaming or on the Internet. I set a timer going, usually for 45-60 minutes and during that time I draw. After that I take a break and come back again for another round a bit later. When making a picture I usually rough things out from my head, and look for specific reference in between drawing sessions. Or I load up my own photos on the laptop and draw or paint from those. Often the last half hour of my day is just sitting in bed, sketching stuff from my head, far away from the computer. Reference is important, but so is imagination.

I also go out to draw from life. I go to figure drawing about twice a month and out for sketchcrawl with a group of artists once a month. Plus all the random times when I'm waiting for the bus or train to show up and sketch people at the station.
The problem with a timer and going out to draw from life is that I have to take care of my 6 month old daughter. She tends to not stick to a timer :p waking up and wanting to play at various times :)

Will try it though :)
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
If you're short on time, don't bother with the timer, because your daughter will regularly interrupt what you're doing anyway. I used to draw in between clients at work, so I'm pretty used to working with frequent interruptions. If someone/something interrupts you regularly, the best thing to do is quick sketches, either from life (as in, whatever is hanging around in front of you) or from your head. Use the interruption to get you away from the Internet if you're stuck on it. It's hard to get anything finished done, but this does make you great at sketching.

You'll probably have to save the longer drawing sessions for when you can get someone to babysit. :)
Good idea :)
Will try it out ;)
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I find inspiration on and offline. It's just a case of knowing where to look.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Get somewhere away from the computer when drawing
I know, hard to do that. How to handle the reference part then? Might be able to print, but as I said before that's a lot of printing
:iconninjatertel:
NinjaTertel Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why not look at the people around you?
Or better yet, get a mirror? :)
Good solution, drawing from life :)
I often use a laptop without internet or take pictures with my phone and take them with me. So I do have referenced, but I don't have internet.
Phone has internet :p The laptop is a good idea though
But internetting on an iPhone is just crap XD
Internet yes, but not the games :p
I get distracted way too fast :(
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
you need to narrow your searches down a bit. I can usually find a reference in 20 minutes tops
It's not about finding the right reference, it is more about looking at fascinating art pieces thinking 'I wish I could do this' instead of practicing.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
oh...well yeah that's a problem then.
:iconhawkbit:
Hawkbit Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I print some good references and draw something out of it in my room. Usually that works well...
Sounds good, but don't you print a lot then? :p
:iconhawkbit:
Hawkbit Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I do but as long as this is the best way for me itīs no problem I couldnīt draw in front of a screen =O
You got to do what works for you :)
Add a Comment: