Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Who are your favorite manga artists, or manga art styles?

:iconknoire:
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mine include the art from Masayuki Taguchi (he drew Battle Royale, UNF), Junji Ito (king of manga horror), and Kaori Yuki
I've always been one to like a more mature look to the manga style.

What are your guys' thoughts on different styles of manga?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Nise Midi Doronkai -- he's done various dojins. His girls are all very beautiful.
:iconstrangemass:
Strangemass Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Katsuhiro Otomo, Junji Ito and Shintaro Kago.
:icondoodlemancy:
doodlemancy Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was gonna say Junji Ito but you already said Junji Ito so. We got that covered.

I like CLAMP's style too... even though it can be a bit samey. Also Hiroyuki Takei, who drew Shaman King, which gets very silly and cartoony a lot. I just love it. :la: and Naoki Urasawa, who drew Monster. His characters' faces are all so distinct.

I also love Naoko Takeuchi (Sailor Moon!!) and her flowing lines and soft, dreamy colors.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   Digital Artist
The mangakas of Vagabond and 21st century boys :D
:iconknoire:
Knoire Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
asdfghjk I completely agree! Some of my favorites! : D
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013   Digital Artist
Ikr. I've liked those styles more than the usual anime style which does the usual huge-eye-small nose and mouth cute look. The more realistic styles seem very good at showing a ton of understanding of anatomy which is much more believable than the usual manga style, and often times does not make characters horribly ugly when trying to stretch anatomy.

Now that I think about it, drawing plainer-looking people seems totally underrated. While I don't bother with manga/anime art style very often nowadays (lolponies), I've already seen some good artists who develop a sort of same-face syndrome from trying to draw too many pretty-looking people.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I have a list of favorites that I like to share.  They include:
  • Yoshikazu Yasuhiko: Character designer for the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam anime series, who has also branched out into manga with series such as Venus Wars, Star Of the Kurds, Joan, and Gundam: the Origin

• Hirohito Mikimoto: Character designer for the Macross anime series (part of the "Robotech" series) and the original Megazone 23 OVA, whose manga credits include a series titled Marionette Generation

• Katsuhiro Otomo: Manga creator best known for his Akira epic

• Kenichi Sonoda: Creator of the original Bubblegum Crisis characters, as well as Gunsmith Cats and Cannon God Exxaxion

• Masashi Kishimoto: Creator of the manga Naruto

As you might see from my list, my preference is for a generally more realistic aspect in the art, with just some of the tropes we see for manga (i.e., big eyes, exaggerated expressions, etc.).  I'm lukewarm on more cartoonish manga artists, provided their storytelling is good and I find the story itself entertaining.  However, I can't stand artists whose work is so distorted that it looks amateurish and detracts from what might be a good story.
:iconxxevilblondiexx:
xxEvilBlondiexx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't really like cute or realistic. I guess if I had to categorize what I like it would be sort of stylistic aesthetic (or something like that...) Like the type with super model tall, slim characters with unrealistically long legs and beautiful features (but not usually like big shoujo style eyes). The type of style commonly used in BL stuff I guess.

Some of my favorite manga artists are...

Clamp (Tsubasa, xxxholic, a lot of others, but I like the style of those two more)

Botan Yamada (Let's Draw Manga Yaoi (I assume she'd have drawn for something else, but that's all I know her art from))

Kaili Sorano (Monochrome Factor)

Ryo Saenagi (Psychic Power Nanaki, Sequence, Satisfaction Guaranteed)

Yun Kouga (Loveless)

Temari Matsumoto (Kyo Kara Maoh!, Uwasa no Futari, Just My Luck, Sensei no Jijou)

Yana Toboso (Kuroshitsuji)

Shungiku Nakamura (Junjou Romantica)
:iconatelierjordan:
AtelierJordan Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm a real fan of cute, pastelly styles so Mel Kishida is a favourite. I also love the traditional shoujo look of Karuho Shiina's work, Kimi ni Todoke and such.
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My fave manga:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OHSHC.
Pokémon Adventures
Naruto.
Sand Chronicles.
Death Note.
Ultimo.
And that's all that have come to mind so far, can't think of the other titles that are on the fave list right now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fave manga artist:
Bisco Hatori. By far.
Fave manga styles: Shojo, Shonen, and whatever the hell the Pokémon mangas would count as.
:iconaki-rain:
Aki-rain Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
I haven't explored very many different manga, so I don't have very many artists to select from in my mind, but I am quite fond of the art of Kazuya Minekura, who wrote/drew Saiyuki and Wild Adapter. I like how she has a realistic style, and yet it's still also a manga style. I also like how strange and poetic her art feels sometimes outside of her manga (such as in her art books), and sometimes she adds some words to go with a drawing to give the viewer so much to think about.
:iconbabynoodlez:
babynoodlez Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like Manga styles that looks cute/pretty and have a cartoony twist.

My favourite manga artists are
Peach Pit (they made Shugo Chara and Zombie Loan)
Higuchi Tachibana (she made Gakuen Alice)
Naoko Takeuchi, Atsushi Okubo(soul eater), Eiichiro Oda(One Piece),
Panty and Stocking Style and Umakoshi Yoshihiko (Ojamajo Doremi)
:iconcameron-hurd:
Cameron-Hurd Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Mark Crilley!!!! [link]
:icontriunfo84:
triunfo84 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Traditional Artist
None. I have no favorites at all.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Digital Artist
I love more realistic type manga rather than the cute type. This is my favourite art in a manga [link] Beck by Harold Sakuishi. :D
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
This is what makes anime or manga soo hard to define if you go to specifics. Like you can even consider tokidoki as an anime, and yet its neither anime or japanese. Its done by Simone Legno, an italian artist inspired by japanese.

And just also be careful, that anime is not drawn the same way as the manga, so only mangas I say.

Though I would consider Takashi Murakami one of my favorites, since he makes a comment on popculture which is baiscally anime and manga.

I like Tite's style, he has a good fashion sense and design. They have such long bodies. There is something that makes you stare at it for awhile.

Ok, well there are more anime stuff I like, such as pale cocoon, mushishi, Kunchuu buranko, etc.
I love makoto shinkai's works.
:iconjakkrobbit:
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Although I love FMA, that's more for the story that the artwork and style. It's been a while since I've looked at manga artists. Let's see...manga artists who I love for their art and not just the story... Takeshi Obata comes to mind first, more for Death Note than Bakuman. Ookubo Atsushi's ink work in Soul Eater is another thing I remember admiring a lot. And I also like Samura Hiroaki's work in Blade of the Immortal even though I have yet to actually read that series (it's on my list of things to read). And I like Eiichiro Oda's drawing, too. Part of me has always wanted to read One Piece because of his style, but a bigger part of me is like "lol fuck no" when I see how many chapters it is.
:icongyr633:
Gyr633 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I like a more realistic approach to manga, with a bit of style.

My favorites artists are--

Takeshi Obata(Death Note, Bakuman)

Tite Kubo(Bleach)

Hiroaki Simura(Blade of the Immortal)

Hitoshi Iwaaki(Parasyte)

And finally

Eiichiro Oda(One Piece) I know his art isn't the most realistic, but there is much to be appreciated from his style and the way he tells a story.
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
my favourite artist is :iconredjuice999:. I believe he is one of the most popular/well known artist right now. His style can be categorized as stylish. He is getting more and more involved in anime and game production. so I'm excited =w=

as for favourite style of manga. I like semi realistic manga. or the ones that captures the human body really well, and some wil emphasize in detail.
Yabuki Kentarou (Black cat, To Love Ru) is one of my current favourites in the manga world. Others include:
Mori Kaoru (Otoyomegatari). The details!
Azuma Kiyohiko (Yotsubato!). I wonder how he's doing since he's pretty slow.
Yagi Norihiro (Claymore). The monster/character designs!
Akatsuki Akira (Medaka Box). the art is so good!

I have a lot more favourites but naming them all would be taxing XD
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
BUT WAIT! i thought all manga art looks the same... that's what i keep hearing :dummy: no okay i'll answer the question now.

i love pretty and cute styles <3 talking about my favorite artists excites me so much!! but i'll keep my post short, i won't ramble on too much.

haha jk that's not true at all :heart: you have been warned...

~arina tanemura!! (full moon, gentlemen's alliance, sakura hime, and many others) i admire her so much! she draws pretty faces and beautiful clothes as well. and her art has so much emotion in it and it's so expressive, that's the only way i can describe it. also, in her manga, she talks a lot about her own work, more than any other manga-ka i've seen. i really like that. if she were on da, she'd write long artist's comments <333 she's sincere about her work and thinks carefully about every detail. she's my favorite manga artist. =)

~yuki kure!! (la corda d'oro) her art is sharp and clear and so pretty (yes i keep saying the same word over and over sorry). it's not really "mature" but still classy <3 and cute at the same time. her girls and guys both have nice faces.

~kairi yura!! (the story of saiunkoku) wow i totally fell in love with her art!! it's wonderful! so many amazing details, gorgeous clothes, smooth colors... but my favorite thing is the way she draws guys. i swear she draws the most attractive bishonen ever :yum: she is such a super talented artist that it kind of intimidates me *sob* (actually so do arina and yuki) saiunkoku is a manga that is written by sai yukino and kairi yura is the illustrator. in volume one, sai yukino writes a hearfelt message going on and on about how kairi's art brought the story to life. her message really warmed my heart (cliche i know) and makes me feel so happy that i am currently working with artists to create mangas, working on manga with a partner can be a wonderful thing!! ^__^

~matsuri hino!! (vampire knight) i like her slightly less than the top three but she has a nice doll-like style and her eye shape is cute. i think she's good at goth-loli <3 she influences many amateur artists and sometimes they copy her >__< but that just shows that she is good at what she does and many people like her. :aww:

~wataru yoshizumi!! (ultra maniac) i read ultra maniac and i was really impressed by how incredibly neat and clean the art was. i read it and i could tell that she's been doing manga for a long time. this is her 30th manga, she says in her sidenotes. the characters look good, the panels were easy to read and she does lots of funny facial expressions. but again, the best part was how neat her art is!

~ayuko!! (the earl and the fairy) she has soft, pretty, classy elegant art with smooth coloring. but it's still cute, as well. very nice work, it inspires me a lot. =)

~hiromi matsuo!! (uhh just google image search her) i don't know much about her, i randomly found her on tumblr. <333 but her art is lovely. she does a lot of vintage art and i really like that because i LOVE elegant vintage photos. you have to see her art, it's classy and distinct. it's beautiful and doll-like. it's girly and romantic. i wish i knew more about her, sorry.

~takeshi obata!! (hikaru no go, death note, bakuman) not even shojo but i LOVE his art. not cute and leans closer to realism than other manga artists i like, yet his art is still a lot of fun for me because it's so interesting and dramatic, even scary at times. he and tsugumi ohba worked on death note as artist and author respectively, and in death note 13, the guidebook, i read a lot about how they worked together and also about how takeshi obata draws. that was very fascinating to me. his talent is through the roof, i adore his art even though it's different from what i'm used to.

~gotta give quick shoutouts to masashi kishimoto, hiro mashima, eiichiro oda... (naruto, fairy tail, one piece) i love shojo art but i can't ignore these talented artists. ^__^

~anime artists on deviantart!! not all of them have actually made manga pages but still, i get A LOT of inspiration from many of the artists on da. and some of them are going to be famous manga artists in the future, so i'm glad i already know them now lol

that's all. if anyone actually read all that then i appreciate it XDDD i just posted all this stuff because i have to give credit to people who inspire me. (but i probably forgot people *shot*) i don't care whether you all like these artists or not. i love them all and i look up to them. they inspire me to keep trying. :happycry:
Add a Comment: