Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Who are your favorite manga artists, or manga art styles?

:iconknoire:
Mine include the art from Masayuki Taguchi (he drew Battle Royale, UNF), Junji Ito (king of manga horror), and Kaori Yuki
I've always been one to like a more mature look to the manga style.

What are your guys' thoughts on different styles of manga?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmondu:
Nise Midi Doronkai -- he's done various dojins. His girls are all very beautiful.
:iconstrangemass:
Strangemass Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Katsuhiro Otomo, Junji Ito and Shintaro Kago.
:icondoodlemancy:
I was gonna say Junji Ito but you already said Junji Ito so. We got that covered.

I like CLAMP's style too... even though it can be a bit samey. Also Hiroyuki Takei, who drew Shaman King, which gets very silly and cartoony a lot. I just love it. :la: and Naoki Urasawa, who drew Monster. His characters' faces are all so distinct.

I also love Naoko Takeuchi (Sailor Moon!!) and her flowing lines and soft, dreamy colors.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Jan 6, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
The mangakas of Vagabond and 21st century boys :D
:iconknoire:
asdfghjk I completely agree! Some of my favorites! : D
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Jan 6, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Ikr. I've liked those styles more than the usual anime style which does the usual huge-eye-small nose and mouth cute look. The more realistic styles seem very good at showing a ton of understanding of anatomy which is much more believable than the usual manga style, and often times does not make characters horribly ugly when trying to stretch anatomy.

Now that I think about it, drawing plainer-looking people seems totally underrated. While I don't bother with manga/anime art style very often nowadays (lolponies), I've already seen some good artists who develop a sort of same-face syndrome from trying to draw too many pretty-looking people.
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I have a list of favorites that I like to share.  They include:
  • Yoshikazu Yasuhiko: Character designer for the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam anime series, who has also branched out into manga with series such as Venus Wars, Star Of the Kurds, Joan, and Gundam: the Origin

• Hirohito Mikimoto: Character designer for the Macross anime series (part of the "Robotech" series) and the original Megazone 23 OVA, whose manga credits include a series titled Marionette Generation

• Katsuhiro Otomo: Manga creator best known for his Akira epic

• Kenichi Sonoda: Creator of the original Bubblegum Crisis characters, as well as Gunsmith Cats and Cannon God Exxaxion

• Masashi Kishimoto: Creator of the manga Naruto

As you might see from my list, my preference is for a generally more realistic aspect in the art, with just some of the tropes we see for manga (i.e., big eyes, exaggerated expressions, etc.).  I'm lukewarm on more cartoonish manga artists, provided their storytelling is good and I find the story itself entertaining.  However, I can't stand artists whose work is so distorted that it looks amateurish and detracts from what might be a good story.
:iconxxevilblondiexx:
xxEvilBlondiexx Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't really like cute or realistic. I guess if I had to categorize what I like it would be sort of stylistic aesthetic (or something like that...) Like the type with super model tall, slim characters with unrealistically long legs and beautiful features (but not usually like big shoujo style eyes). The type of style commonly used in BL stuff I guess.

Some of my favorite manga artists are...

Clamp (Tsubasa, xxxholic, a lot of others, but I like the style of those two more)

Botan Yamada (Let's Draw Manga Yaoi (I assume she'd have drawn for something else, but that's all I know her art from))

Kaili Sorano (Monochrome Factor)

Ryo Saenagi (Psychic Power Nanaki, Sequence, Satisfaction Guaranteed)

Yun Kouga (Loveless)

Temari Matsumoto (Kyo Kara Maoh!, Uwasa no Futari, Just My Luck, Sensei no Jijou)

Yana Toboso (Kuroshitsuji)

Shungiku Nakamura (Junjou Romantica)
:iconatelierjordan:
AtelierJordan Jan 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm a real fan of cute, pastelly styles so Mel Kishida is a favourite. I also love the traditional shoujo look of Karuho Shiina's work, Kimi ni Todoke and such.
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My fave manga:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OHSHC.
Pokémon Adventures
Naruto.
Sand Chronicles.
Death Note.
Ultimo.
And that's all that have come to mind so far, can't think of the other titles that are on the fave list right now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fave manga artist:
Bisco Hatori. By far.
Fave manga styles: Shojo, Shonen, and whatever the hell the Pokémon mangas would count as.
Add a Comment: