Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

Indirect skill boosting

:iconrabbit-eye:
Rabbit-EYE Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Okie-dokie. Here's my idea. Are there any ways to increase one's drawing abilities through non-drawing activities? Drawing requires great hand-to-eye coordination, for one. SO- what would one do to level-grind their Hand-to-Eye co-ordination, then? You see where I am going with this. Any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblue-like-the-sky:
Blue-like-the-Sky Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Well origami folding helped me with being more precise, patient and detail oriented :)
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmm... I have an injury which makes me unable to draw a lot.
In order to train at least my brain in seeing and remembering stuff, I read a lot of art books and tutorials on art/anatomy/perspective/color theory. So I can use the limited time that I can draw to do actually something useful. It's another way of approaching art, by analyzing art and training insight, and it takes considerable self discipline, but for me it does the trick. I even improved in the times that I couldn't draw.
:iconmunkiic:
MunkiiC Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Studies show that even when you stop physically practicing something, your brain continues to practice. I have heard that if u force yourself to keep going, it actually hurts more than helps. Take a break, u will be rusty but after u dust off the cobwebs u will notice u are sharper than ever! Works for me every time:)
Rabbit-EYE Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I guess.
Nice icon, btw.
:)
MunkiiC Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
thanks.
No prob.
Tell me if you find the article.
:)
MunkiiC Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
[link]

muscle memory! its alot to read through, but its interesting.
Thanks, man. Here, have this-
[link]
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
ya when im not physically drawing, im still drawing and painting in my mind lol.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Circle your left hand clockwise, your right hand counterclockwise (while snapping), tap your left toe to the rhythm of the Canadian anthem, and bounce in your seat in intervals sixteen.
Wow. You sir, deserve a medal for your sheer, sublime wit.
Gods shall sing at your humorous response, and the tale shall be told to children along with stories of Guy Fawkes and Marvin Heemeyer...

-__-
Do I get a medal?
No, you get your limbs pulled off, have to suffer through chinese water torture, and you have to watch Generation 3.5 of my little pony over and over.

And then you get a medal.
But I still get a medal.
It's a medal that's Made Out Of Babies, but a medal no less.
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'll hang it up on my wall.
You don't have limbs, remember?
Plus prolonged doses of Gen 3.5 MLP causes brain damage.
Good luck.
(1 Reply)
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I often see people with unusual faces on the bus, or a hat I wish to recreate. Not wanting to seem like a creep who takes pictures of strange people with their cellphone, I set about observing all the details I can for recreation later. Not great at it, but it really helps with observation skills when actually drawing from life.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
You can start observing things around you more carefully. This can help you remember details better, see how things interact with other things and how they move in space. This will help you draw things better since you can "see" them in your head more clearly.
Hmm...
I think that woman from avatar says it best:
"No one can teach you to see."

I guess I can try.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student General Artist
Take brakes after a while. That's what I do. :D

Everyone learns at a different pace though, lol. So I'm not sure if it works for everyone.
Ah. Alright, then.
:iconkakashi-girlfriend:
KaKashi-GirlFriend Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hm....well...sports can help hand-eye coordination. My hand-eye coordination sucks and so does my art-but I try!
Hey, kakashi. Sports is out of the question for me.
-__-

I'll be honest, your art... it is kind of bad. But, then again, I have a way's to go myself. Though that eagle is badass, and well done. Though velvet, on the other hand...
Not so much. Sorry for being a criticy jerk, btw.
:iconkakashi-girlfriend:
KaKashi-GirlFriend Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh it's ok. I know I'm a pretty much art fail. I'm working on it. So far the drawing I'm working on isn't too bad but the little girl's head is looking towards the father and I can't draw faces from the side. So that poor little girl's face looks a little odd. And with Velvet...I drew that all with markers and I can't draw ANYTHING with markers :) The eagle was a present and my grandpa loved it. :) So ya, and I need the criticism. So thanks!
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
But if you just DRAW, you're practicing everything at once! Wouldn't anything else just be making the process longer?

Few activities require the spatial hand-eye coordination that drawing does (with video games, for instance, timing is important but your fingers barely move). Maybe some hobby that required you to repeatedly visualize 3-dimensional images.. I can't think of one. Carpentry, perhaps.
It's just a theory. Drawing away from drawing, if you will.
Besides, if I cannot draw, or if I have spending a large amount of time drawing, and wish to do something else (say, I have been drawing for approx. five hours straight.).
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
If you're taking a break, take a break!
very well.
Add a Comment: