Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

How does one "Practice everyday"?

:iconsamichan0:
SamiChan0 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist
To begin, I know the literal meaning is to simply practice, for example, at least one hour a day to improve your skills and whatnot.

I'm sorta asking for a different response, though, and also hope to get some insight from people who have overcome my current feelings. I have searched around this board for quite some time, and I have not found someone with a similar problem (or I just didn't look hard enough). Rambling aside, my problem with trying to practicing everyday is I can't seem to bring myself to do it, for lack of motivation. I really want to get better, and I really love to draw to let out my imagination instead of letting it be trapped in my head forever. But I have no mojo to do so. I have read advice before that even if you don't want to draw, do it anyway. I have tried this before, but I don't like it.

The feeling of forcing yourself to do something just doesn't sit right for me, and if anything it gives me even less motivation. Some might come by and say just scribble crudely to get out your bad thoughts or something, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of wanting to practice in the first place? I've tried even that method, and that doesn't work. I can't exactly go anywhere whenever I want to get inspiration since I don't have a car, and that leaves me cooped up in my house the majority of my time, and my neighborhood is kinda dangerous to be out there alone. Sometimes, I do get a spark once in a while and try to draw after listening to some music or playing one of my games, but it goes away as soon as it comes, before I can even unpack my tablet again. I'm aware about my worry of something not looking good, or how other people are way better than me, and I try not to think about that. I can tell what a good piece of art is, since I have taken art classes that specifically train my mind to think outside the box, and to pick out even the tiniest of details. That training has made me more aware of my own art, and is beginning to discourage me. My best drawing comes from that class. My motivation then was a good grade, and praise from local classmates back then, but my drawing now are really only for me, so I tell myself that they won't be very important for me in the future, so that also makes me push off any kind of drawing. I show my friends of today my drawings whenever I get the time, but that doesn't seem like it's enough. No matter what I do, though, nothing seems to work to get me drawing again. It seems only about once a month I can muster up a sketch or two, but I don't want to do that; I want to draw everyday, but again the lack of motivation is holding me back.

Whatever advice you might have to fix any of my problems I've listed, anything can help at this point. I would really appreciate it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I can relate to you since sometimes I simply don't know what to draw. The feeling mostly occurs when I'm tired from work or around in a noisy, active enviroment like my mum's house during Christmas. Try and use this moments as doodle dump. Just doodle small stick figures in varying poses or just draw basic shapes. You don't need to be perfect every day, every hour. The important part is to keep your skills in check.

Also, if you aren't feeling like drawing, maybe you could spend those moments on studying? Surf around DeviantArt, dive in books, look at real life photos.

When you start seeing progress, you'll want to draw more. This has happened with myself. Art fealt horribly straining when all my weekdays were filled with work and I only managed to draw these tired out, crooked sketches. Now during the holidays I really took some time for myself and practiced practiced practiced.

As a semi-neurotic and perfectionist person I also set goles for myself. I aim to color all the old lineart lying around in my profile and once that is done, I'll focus more on drawing again so I can create more pieces to color. And so on.
:icontylon:
Tylon Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Artist
I actually started to work with different mediums when I felt something was forced which I disliked. Years ago I used to love comics and making them. Now I cannot stand looking back at my older work, and over those years I just lost interest in making and liking comics. I don't know if this was because I wanted to please people, and as a result I stopped enjoying it or if it was just something I enjoyed at that point in my life. Learning new mediums and trying new things really helped me feel re-inspired and boost up my creativity. When I stopped making comics, I started to do graphic design. I then went to college, graduated with a 4 year degree- and now here I am sewing, making jewelry and doing metal art because I often find for me- I have to switch things up or else I will feel less motivated and often bored. I don't draw much anymore because I feel currently my interests lie elsewhere (instead I will draft up plush animal patterns), but once in a great while I will have an idea pop into my head and I will draw it. To me, my drawing is more of a hobby fun thing. Apparently people at my former college beg to differ since I was known for my illustrations and cartoons very well- but I guess I felt I wanted to be more well rounded in what I do, not just focusing on one thing- illustration or drawing. So I stopped it and tried new things, which as an end result really enhanced what I do for a living and helped me become more well rounded in my career.

If you look at it the way I do- in many ways everything can intertwine. You can take a photograph and then illustrate it or paint it, enhancing not only your drawing skills but also giving you a new skill- photography. You can take a flat object and make it 3D through sewing or various other forms of crafting like bead work or clay sculpture. I often draw up an illustrate a character and then convert that illustration to a plush form. I have now added metal art to that list as well. You can write down a scene from a description then draw it as the words describe. You can sketch out abstract backgrounds, shapes and ideas- then convert them digitally and give it your own skin and render. I do this often for logo work- I will sketch out concepts then draw it up digitally. There are just so many ways to maintain your creativity. I could not constantly draw every day and practice as strictly as many people do. I would get bored and then put myself in a rut doing so, that method just does not work for me, personally. Yet I have friends who do that- who feel if they draw every moment they can they will improve- and it seems to work for them. I find what works best for me is doing a variety of things- so I won't ever get bored or uninspired if I have all these different creative outlets I can work with.

Anyways- that's what works for me. Granted these days I don't focus much on drawing or illustration- but since I have been working with all these different outlets and mediums going well over two years- I haven't had much of any art or creative block, I'm in no rut and I'm constantly learning and trying new things to do- expanding my portfolio and skill set. Perhaps by trying out something different, you might not only find a new form of inspiration- but also a new love for a different medium as well.
:iconbirfdaykakes:
Birfdaykakes Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Although people might tell you to draw when you don't want to, that kind of thing is only possible if you are motivated to try and reach a professional state. For the casual artist, just go out and look at other art until something inspires you, then work on that until your motivation is exhausted, then repeat.
:iconninosatori:
NinoSatori Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student Digital Artist
In my experience I've found that what I like to do if I want to practice is find something I don't like about my drawings and practice something different, such as poses, anatomy, ect. Put it something you just love with a passion and works that you can be proud of eventually rise. I look back and see my old works are way different but they do change. Just keep drawing honestly, even if you don't want to. Doodle, sketch, watch people draw if you see a livestream. sometime that gives you the boost you need to say, "oh! I could totally draw this!"

Hope This helps a bit Sami-Chan! :huggle:
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It sounds like you just don't like drawing. You're going to have a very hard time forcing yourself to do what you don't like. You used to do it because you got some rewards for it, like good grades and comments from friends, but when the rewards stopped so did you.

I doodle whenever I'm not doing anything else. It's the idle state for my brain. If you sit me down in a room without books or TV or Internet or entertainment devices for an hour I will pick up the nearest writing implement and make marks on paper. A musician will probably sing or drum on the table. A martial artist will do katas and a photographer will arrange still lifes and take pictures of them. What will you do to prevent boredom? That is what you probably enjoy doing and will be motivated to do. If you want to test this out, go someplace safe that has nothing for you to be passively entertained by. Bring only things that you can create stuff with. See what you end up doing for an hour.

I don't mean this to be discouraging. But somewhere out there there is a creative thing that you can do that you will actually like doing, and concentrating too much on a thing that you would like to like might be keeping you from finding what it is. There's lots of ways to get ideas out of your head. You could write, or act, or sew, or do photomanipulation, or photography, or mosaics, or any of a thousand other creative things. One of them is going to be the thing you love doing so much that you won't need to go out and be inspired to do it. Maybe you haven't had the chance to try doing this thing yet. But it's out there, and your job is to find out what it is so you can do it and be happy.
:icontaurick:
Taurick Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Student General Artist
You don't have to "*practice*" everyday, secondly I see and hear the same bull---t over and over... Force yourself to draw, draw what you don't like, read tutorials, yak yak yak.

What you need to do is to start enjoying the process of creating, for *yourself*. (you don't want to live a life of should)
You need to detach yourself- creatively, technically and egotistically from your creations. Otherwise you will be blinded in one way or another. You don't have to show people anything or everything. You don't need "inspiration or motivation" to draw or create for that matter. Don't simply draw to draw or practice for practice... CREATE- anything you want really, or can imagine.

Advice:
Keep a personal sketchbook, just for your eyes. (don't make this an excuse to doodle or be abstract, nor seek perfection)

There's more to creating than drawing, with so many mediums and tools it's impossible to lose interest.
Painting, Sculpting, animation, 3D, Writing, etc... (along with genres, styles, movements and communities)

If you want to improve you need to think critically about everything and be honest with yourself. Don't get lost in your own head and be self deceiving. Relying on crutches will only hinder your progress or worst... it's okay to have a comfort zone just don't stay there.

Get rid of the negative influences in your life and surround yourself with positive influences in any way you can. Solve the issues that get in the way of creating, external and internal.

Tips: Keep it simple, make tools more accessible, avoid expensive things or things you don't need. Clear a space for creating only and take care of yourself. Don't blindly listen to every advice you get or take it as the cold hard truth (including mine).

Lastly if you want a jump-start on art, shoot me a note or pm.
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Take the bus. Leave your smartphone behind. But bring your sketchbook.
:iconalumx:
Alumx Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Draw stuff you hate , get out of your comfort zone, change media, watch lot of tutorials, study the basics, always carry basic art material with you (pens and sketchbook)

That should help I guess ._.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
There is a resource and stock photo gallery, with inspiration from all over the world. However, if you do not have the desire to improve, then you won't. And forcing yourself to draw, is not going help you improve. To improve you need to work on improving, that is not just doing whatever drawing you feel like for an hour a day, that is working actively on what you know you have problems with and trying to imrpove. If you have a problem drawing hands, this means drawing hands, but you have to have the motivation to improve, and if you are unwilling to draw thru the poor quality stuff, look at it, review it, and see how you could improve it, an hour of just doodling what you like will reduce improvement to such a snails pace that it will be barely noticeable.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I'm actually working on something in this realm this year. I make youtube videos and I'm going to be doing anatomy studies this year. In order to keep motivation I'll be doing videos for each study. So my suggestion to you is to find a way to make the work unique. Do it for a friend, do it for a journal experience, something that you can keep a record of and use as a reason to do the practice. If you have a self made deadline you can be more motivated to get stuff done.
Add a Comment: