Closed to new replies
January 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

A Support Group Outside of Deviant Art?

:iconsketch0469:
Sketch0469 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional General Artist
I haven't been having much success with deviant art. I don't know if it's my art in general, or i am tagging everything wrong. I don't know. But i do ok on Facebook. Mostly because most that support me or oblivious to Deviant Art or are more familiar/comfortable with Facebook. But the main issue is this, i have learned over the years that an artist is only as good as his reputation. Regardless how talented i am, if no one knows about me, it simply doesn't matter. I am looking for like minded people that would like to support each other outside of Deviant Art by joining/subscribing/liking each others Facebook pages. We can share fans and art on each others page. I am not big on Facebook groups however. Simply fan pages.

P.S. sorry if i posted this in the wrong thread. I never use forums. :/

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
The problem I have with Facebook is that only logged in FB users can see your stuff and it's even harder to get people to follow you since you personally have to approve people.

I don't see an online presence being in just one place though. There are lots of people on the internet.
You can see myself without being a member and i don't have to approve anyone. But mine is a fan page. Not a group. So that might be the difference.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   Digital Artist
Oh. Well, I've never figured out Facebook. Weird its called "fan page" though. It would feel weird starting one for yourself.
i think it's called something else now. I think they changed it from fan page to simply just "page". Mostly for that reason i would assume. But i started it to show off my art and to see how many followers i could get. Then that turned into a business. Then that turned into me pulling my hair out. Which turned into me to stop drawing for others and just do it for fun. But still....i like to see my likes go up. Makes me feel special ha ha
:iconclaralieu:
claralieu Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
My Facebook page is [link], check it out!
Your page has been liked my friend. :)
Thank you!
Your welcome. Please check out my work. Tell me what you think. I like your work. I have never seen anything like it before. Very unique. Where did you learn to do all of that?
Thank for the comments on my work! Can you tell me a little bit more about what you're aspiring towards with your work to provide me a little more context to critique it?

If you want to know more about my background, this page has a number of interviews I've done in the past. [link]
Honestly..i just learned how to draw a few years ago. Learned from some books at Barnes and Noble. At first it was just for a hobby. Then it turned into a bit of attention seeking. I liked the recognition i got for it. Then that turned into making money. And then i lost my love for it. So i went on a break for awhile and just recently started back up. Not drawing for people anymore. Just myself. Wanting to love art again. I am struggling to find my own style. I am also struggling to figure out if i am mediocre or at least above average. I know i am not any where near professional yet. one day...one day
That's great that you're drawing for yourself! I think that's one of the best places to be. I took a look at your gallery and it looks like you're jumping around, trying out all different kinds of styles. I would stay away from trying to rate yourself, as you'll be constantly changing and progressing, and I'm not sure it's productive to label yourself as above or below average. Are you drawing from direct observation at all? It seems to me like you would benefit from more life drawing. Hope that's useful!
Sketch0469 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
Actually no, it's all out of my head, except the portraits. Mostly because portraits take too long, so most of my work is cartoony. I never had a chance to go to school for art, so everything i know is self taught. Whether it be from books or youtube.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
You don't interact here. That's why you aren't getting any attention. You need to look at and comment on deviations, hang out on the forums, join groups, etc.
Yeah that's what i am hearing. I didn't know any of this. Makes sense.
:iconyukih:
YukiH Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
I'm always skeptical of that advice... I just think people here have their preferences because I see a lot of people who do post on the boards and comment on pages and they don't get nearly as much recognition because it's not like there's an algorithm developed so that people automatically see other people's (best) work when they post... so I guess it's like an extra step that a lot of people don't feel like taking.

I've commented on people's stuff and I wouldn't say that it pays for itself like that... One thing that does help a little is by writing meaningful comments. It works well for me when someone gets a DD, more often than not they will reply back, but it doesn't mean that they look at my work. That being said, yes I notice if I post something on the boards or comment on someone's work I've seen the trend of them only replying back... if I'm lucky.

Not only that, but what happens if someone doesn't like the message board vibe here? They shouldn't force themselves to do something that they honestly don't find worthwhile.

One thing someone has told me is that there is a key to uploading. You want to upload during certain times of the day, or certain days (where more people are online) and a certain frequency so that your current watchers won't get too comfortable with you not posting but not too overwhelmed by the amount of submissions.
But it makes sense. I can't expect me to like my work, if i don't at least comment or favorite on theirs. Though i like to think my art work is decent enough for people to like it. I am still quite skeptical of my skill. On one hand i think i am pretty rad. Then there are days i think i am just wasting my time. So that's why i thought i wasn't getting anywhere on here. Figured my work was just not good enough. This at least gives me a glimmer of hope that i don't utterly suck. ha ha
No, it's not you and don't let this site make you think any other way. I see so many tripped out work here that doesn't get any recognition at all. When I mean tripped out, some have that great old school quality that you just don't see anymore.

On the flip side, the reason why I'm skeptical is because I've seen some people post only 1 thing in their gallery, it gets a DD because it has been on the popular section for weeks, they never commented on anything in the first place. I see that trend with a lot of popular artists on this site, too... many of them aren't that good.

Your gallery/profile is your domain, so making people feel welcome in that domain can add to your appeal too.
MMMM...than i am really confused. So it's all by chance? Yeah this is why i normally stick with Facebook. I will keep trying at it. But still, i already have 259 people that follow my work and comment regularly on my art. I barely have anyone blink an eye at my stuff on here.
I don't know what it is either. That's probably why popular people don't post, they don't want anyone else in on the secret. I think a lot of people here are still in high school or below, so they like certain things and dislike others. It has no bearing on your skill.

In a way, facebook does something right when it comes to graphics because once you subscribe to someone or add someone as a friend whatever picture is there will come up on your feed whether the poster likes it or not.

I have noticed that if I post during holidays it will take longer for the people who are watching me to get a chance to look. I see this trend with general comments and faves. I have heard that posting around the time when work/school ends is good too because people are more active.

I totally get what you mean. I had more success on now defunct message boards in terms of respect.
Well then i guess it's settled. Anyone still want to carry a support group outside of deviant art? ha ha ha
:iconrogue-knyte:
Rogue-Knyte Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's a great idea! However the reason why you may not be getting much publicity on here is because you may not be that active on here. The more you show your face the more likely people will remember you and will be inclined to interact with you, thus gaining more watchers/fans. I'm doing TERRIBLE on Facebook, and okay on here. So it pretty much depends on how active you are. I actually deactivated my facebook because of my lack of followers on my facebook page. I just might reactivate it to try this out. Really need more followers to get more recognition.
Well if you decide to reactivate it, let me know. We can help each other out. And thanks. I didn't know it had anything to do with your activity.I thought it had to do with how popular your art is. Feel a bit retarded now. lol So do you have any pointers how i can become more active other than logging in and constantly uploading?
Well for starters what you're doing now is a great way to get more exposure. You know the first thing I did before replying to your thread? I viewed your gallery. Even if you don't get a lot of watchers you'll be generating traffic to your profile which will gain you some watchers in the end.

Comment a lot and fave artwork. You can't expect support from others if you aren't giving support to other artist on here. Oh, and frequent the forums. We've been on here for the same amount of time, but I have almost double the amount of views because well... I became obsessed with DA early last year and was on here every day. But I cooled down a bit after some personal things coming up.

I probably would have a lot lot more viewers if my visits to DA were consistent. You kind of have to be on here A LOT and be heavily active on here in order to gain a large audience.
Your completely right. That's awesome advice. Can't get, if you don't give. In fact i took your advice and went and started liking the work i thought was awesome, and liking the ones i thought were epic. I will also take a look at your profile. :)
Great, don't give up and if you really want to gain a large audience. Have special events where you give out free art or subscriptions to a whomever sees a certain amount of views on your page. They call them Kiribans.
how do you host special events??? I know these might sound like stupid questions, but i am really new at all of this. I always thought it was as simple as uploading your art. If it was good enough you get recognition. So this is all new to me.
It's pretty much the same concept as when you want everyone at school to come to your party. You send invites through email, text. Have your friend's friends invite people...etc. You just gotta advertise it a lot. I would suggest making some kind of poster type drawing stating a 2k, 3k...etc. Kiriban and stating what the prize might be. That's what mostly everyone on here does. Especially those that are extremely popular. They do things like that all of the time.
wait...what is the 2k, 3k thing? Are those the points everyone keeps talking about? And i tried giving away free designs just for a facebook like...and i got no where. I stopped drawing for about 5 months because of that.
(1 Reply)
Oh...forgot to add....Facebook.com/TheSketchArt is my page. That way you can check it out and see if your interested or not.
Add a Comment: