Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Looking to make extra money through my art. Is my art sell-able?

:iconrogue-knyte:
Rogue-Knyte Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My family and friends have always told me I should sell my art but I was never really sure if I could or whether my art is even at that level where someone will buy it from me. So Yes or no? If so what are some basic steps I need to take to get things started?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Selling art is a sales job. Are you good at talking people into buying things? Can you build value? Are you outgoing, or able to fake it? How do you handle rejection? Selling art is not about how good it is, it is about how well it is marketed. I think Picasso was the master of this, he did the African masks painting, and people loved them, so he did more cubism, and more. He made what people liked and bought, not whatever he wanted. DaVinci had finacial problems most of his life. Often unpaid because he left off a project he was commissioned to do to persue and idea of his own, and missing deadlines. Making art, and selling art are two very different jobs.
I see. I can definitely sell! I work as a telecom Agent at my job and I constantly have to have put on an upbeat/likable personality. It's required in order for me to keep my job. So its definitely something I can apply here as well.
:iconankh-ascendant:
Ankh-Ascendant Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I manage to sell some commissions at anime conventions, so I'm sure you could (especially drawing nekkid girls :P) It's pretty feasible, especially if you find someone to share a table with to cut the cost of it. If you want to sells prints that would be the biggest cost, but I've heard that Staples or independent printing places are good for that. If you don't want to go to anime conventions, you can still advertise on DA, but the site is kind of flooded with people offering commissions so I don't know how successful that would be unless you're absurdly cheap.

Sorry I can't really say if your art is at the level people would buy, but I don't really know. People are fickle. I kind of feel like there aren't enough examples in your gallery for me to really get a good feel of it, too. It wouldn't hurt to try, anyway.
Rogue-Knyte Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh, okay. Well did you see my gallery folders to the right? I have several drawings posted. They are just arranged in my folders to the right. They are set up in categories. A lot of people seem to miss them when viewing my gallery...
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Selling art is more about your business skills than your art skills. So the first thing you ought to ask yourself is whether you want to be an entrepreneur, and if so then you should look up resources for starting a small or hobby business wherever you live. You may need permits, there may be tax stuff involved, you'll need to keep records and such.
First I'd like to say thank you for your feed back. It's much appreciated. I have already started looking into that information, though. So I am already well informed on the requirements and guidelines in my state as far as a small personal businesses goes. So My next issue is if someone is going to buy my art. If they feel my art is not worth their money they will not be interested in commissioning me. So I just would like some constructive criticism in regards to that if whether my art is good enough to sell or not.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
There's a few things here:

#1: There are no guarantees. Every artist faces rejection, even the really good ones. Either you can deal with that, in which case go off and get started, or you are plagued by self-doubt and the experience of people ignoring your commission threads or table at the art fair is going to be very trying for you. Most people I contact don't even bother to note me back and I know that I can sell stuff because I DO sell stuff.

#2: Don't bother listening much to people who aren't in the process of opening their wallets for you. The only people who really count are people who will actually be buying your work. Everybody else has no stake in the game, so everything they say has to be taken with a grain of salt. This includes both the "OMG! You should totally sell things!" crowd and the "you suck, go home" crowd. This means that you should go and find your target audience and ask THEM whether they want to buy your stuff.
Well, I well definitely take this to heart and apply this to myself when the time comes. I'm still getting things together. I guess in all honesty its really whether or not I am confident in myself to do the best that I can when the time comes that some one does commission my work.
Also here is a link to my gallery. My folders are on the right hand side of my gallery: [link]
Add a Comment: