Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 31, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 107

Why do people have to hate on you for things?

:iconalzang676:
alzang676 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I draw huge boobs, I know people might not like that, but I wish people wouldn't hate on me for it. I have crappy skill, I know that, but can you at least hate on people that have like a million plus views or 1000 plus watchers.

I've been on this site for a good 8 years now and I have about 2k pageviews and about 10 watchers. I know I'm terrible and I'm trying to get better, but you getting mad at someone who can't draw well is just stupid. It'd be like someone expecting you to win a basketball game on his own against an NBA team.

I don't mind critique, that's fine, although I'm not good, so any critique beyond "Practice more/ learn anatomy" isn't going to help.

Wasn't sure where to post this though, so move it if need be.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjazzlizard:
JazzLizard Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Well, I think some people might hate on you because it seems like the main focus of your drawings are the breasts. Many of my characters are very well endowed, but that's just one small element in the overall image. Try adding some more character to your characters, maybe tone it back a bit into the realm of believability. Maybe focus more on anatomy, get their basic forms down, then play around with their bust sizes. You'll appeal to a greater audience and people who think "big boobs are bad!" will leave you alone.
:icon1sidedownand2up:
1sidedownand2up Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It would help if you toned down the breast sizes in your work, I see that you draw in a cartoon style but its still possible to go too far and over exaggerate things. If anything breasts the size of space hoppers deforms your subjects to the point it disturbs people in the same way a zombie would by being human yet having something not so human about them.

Also like some have already mentioned, learn human anatomy and realism, it opens so many doors. Its how I started doing anthros.

Try and add more detail and maybe some well added colours (not bucket filled), that way your art will more attention. If you only have a mouse then get something free like GIMP (or photoshop if you have the money) and use the paths tool to make paths then stroke them.

If you want more pageviews and watchers do quality over quantity with your art. Also interact with the community more, most of my views come from being on the forum a lot.
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There's going to be haters in your life, no way to avoid them, so the best thing to do is to just ignore the haters.
:iconmikesblender:
mikesblender Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Lot of comments here, so I'm not sure if someone said this already or not. Stop using a mouse to draw! Try pencils and paper first, then when you're ready, move to a tablet (if you want to do digital stuff).
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah, its been said already.
i have no paper though, i don't really write things down anymore that isn't sticky notes and I don't print anything.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Having no paper is no excuse; just buy some, it's incredibly cheap. 
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Didn't say I wasn't getting any, did I?
It's just I have none ON HAND at the moment...
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
So you've not had any on hand since joining dA?
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I only looked at art my first bunch of years on DA.
I drew a bit between 2004-2006, but other than that I just restarted drawing again in late 2011. I had a drawing pad before, but water damage ruined it.
(an example of my old art [link] )

I got rid of my printer because I was never using it.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
You don't need anything fancy for art, especially when practicing, just a positive and constructive attitude, and some basic materials like printer/office paper and a biro, pencil and rubber. A printer isn't needed, but a scanner us useful if you plan on sharing your work.

The most important thing if you want to get better is to concentrate on actually practicing instead of using art as a simple fantasy fulfillment vehicle.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What you really need to improve on is your trolling. I'll admit, you had me almost fooled, so the deception part you're good at. But you need to work on the humor part. The best trolls are the funny ones. The ones whose galleries aren't just bad, but ridiculous, so that you're *laughing* as you're trying to figure out, "is this real or not?!" Prozaix had that down pretty well, back when she was new here.
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i'll try harder next time.
:iconyukih:
YukiH Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
No, you have a point... critiques should be constructive... people always say crap about anatomy and whatever but they don't know themselves. IMO when I hear anatomy and proportion critiques without giving a more specific solution (I'm thinking in terms of "what can this person fix in a short term sense, what specific things can I pinpoint that might make their work look better overall?), I see it as a lazy way out for the person critiquing. Anyway, DA isn't a place for crits b/c few people give decent ones. I have seen that those who draw pregnant chicks and girls with a lot of 'front' tend to have a hard time too... I guess it's too different for people to see as tasteful, you know?
:iconcnids:
Cnids Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's probably because your work just looks like throwaway fap-fodder. There's no love or effort shown in it; it's just some crudely drawn gigantic, disembodied boobs on a page. Like, when you look at your gallery it just gives off this creepy, uncomfortable vibe because you know some dude's sitting there drawing it with a boner.

It's likely similar to why the Twilight books get so much hate. They're poorly written and you just get the sense you're reading through someone's poorly fleshed out (pardon the pun) sexual fantasies.
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No way, I can't find what I draw that way. THAT is creepy as hell.
It's as much effort as I have the skill. I could totally put a lot more effort into it, but I would spend another few hours on something that would look at most 5% better and that's just not worth it right now.
:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
I'm sorry that you have been getting some less then flattering responses to your artwork, but I would say that you just need to perceiver, and keep at it, because really the only way to get better is to be like Nike and just do it. My advice for you would be to look for some good human references, study the work of other artists, continue drawing the stuff that you enjoy to draw, and above all else to ignore the downright hateful feedback and just focus on the actual criticism that can help you improve. Best of luck :D
:iconhatreda:
Hatreda Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
Just ignore the asshats. Draw what ya like. If you want critique or learn more about anatomy or whatever, there are quite a few tutorials hangin' around here. :D
:iconrowanf:
RowanF Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Art is something personal so you should draw what you want to. At the same time when you post your work online, people have the right to say how they feel about it, good or bad. There are many angry people deviantart so don't it this discourage you. xD

In terms of anotomy, I really recommend this site: [link] There are hundreds of 3d models with different poses and body types to help practice. I find it very useful when drawing figures.

Good luck, keep at it!
:iconjuturn-al:
Juturn-AL Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
I've already posted this in another post but i'll post it here for you to see my blog. I want my drawings to be good so bad I did something about it. I hope this inspires you, it shows a couple of crappy drawings I did and if you compare it to what I have now (4-5 months) you'll see a huge improvement in my skill. If you want it that bad just go for it!

[link]
:iconapricots-from-nara:
Apricots-from-Nara Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
How about you learn what boobs that big would look like? No wonder no one likes your huge boobs. They look disgusting.
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
holy crap! a helpful nazi!?
Not a nazi. if I was, I would have a swastika in my icon.
:iconnadeemh93:
NadeemH93 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new on this and it would be kind if you could check out my work! Thanks (:
:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
This kind of stuff doesn't work, just sayin'. Especially if it's unrelated tot he thread.
Try the "Welcome" thing instead [link]
:iconmapper3:
mapper3 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Hey now. I wonder where you got the idea to post that.
:iconmapper3:
mapper3 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
Oh, not from you, mister Eraser - Head baby.
:iconsronivera:
SROnivera Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Seriously, that's your problem there. Improve your fucking anatomy BECAUSE you are terrible at it. A lot of people here that do criticize, do so because they're tired of shitty content. What you're doing is not art at all. It's if anything, emulation or a crappy attempt to being popular. That's now an artist goes about. Art is an action, a communication, an expression. These aren't expressions. This is just crap.

If you want to make good art instead of this inflation shit, then be my guest. Go look up art appreciation, learn a bit about these forms and the like. Take their example. Look for things to jot up your thinking. Be creative as you are becoming curious.
alzang676 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
duly noted.
also, I know. anatomy, etc etc needs work.
:iconriceballs4me:
RiceBalls4Me Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well, some people might find big breasts repulsive... but there are some things you should improve on which may help gain watchers/etc.

-The brush is far too choppy; if you don't have proper software, try drawing pencil on paper
-Work on facial and body proportions

I recommend that you draw a normally proportionate body with a flat chest or a typical breast size. Then go back and make them as big as you can XD

And you should start taking the negative comments positively because they do contain some hints and clues to help you improve on ^^

Hope that helps and good luck!
I sometimes do on a few of my drawings, I tried doing the body in parts and THEN adding boobs.
I gotta get my priorities straight though and I have a whole year to do it XD
:iconriceballs4me:
RiceBalls4Me Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Take a look at stock photos for references ^^
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013   General Artist
This will sound like a tangent, but stick with me.

Something that is interesting is to look at the symbols cildren first learn to draw with, and the ways they prioritise elements of their drawing through size and level of detail. Mummy is usually a big smiling face and two giant arms to hold you. That is what is important to the child about the person they are drawing. I don't think we ever stop reading images that way to some extent, even when we get to the stage when we can represent the world with perfect realism.

Now with that in mind, think about what your image says to your audience about what is important to you about women. In your personal universe the woman is a walking set of mammaries, all of her other attributes of personality, intelligence, etc are both metaphorically and literally eclipsed by her bosoms. I think the perception that this is how you veiw women and sexuality is where the creep factor comes from.

Another childlike parallel I can draw is the way that when kids discover penis symbolism they start emblazoning all over their school desks and other common locations for grafitti. There's an element of that juvenile "hur hur [x body part]" coming through in your work, because of the lack of observation and consideration for the real body part.

I'm not saying you've done anything wrong, I'm just discussing the perceptions of your audience. Everyone likes boobs and there is certainly no need to stop drawing them. It's very normal.

If you want to get better then there's no need to stop drawing boobs or pinups or erotic comics or whatever in your free time. But there'll need to be a whole lot more study in other areas too. You can't sustain yourself on tits alone, and I think that's what youre just now discovering with your frustration at your slow improvement.

Draw real women. Draw real breasts, observe how they really fall and interact with the woman and the world around her. See how they fall differently depending on what she's wearing. Learn to draw some other stuff too, just for the sake of improving your drawing skills.

And try not to be defensive when people express an opinion or criticise your work in a way you don't like. Ultimately the audience responses are there for your benefit, and if someone knows what they are talking about then the fact they may not like your subject matter is really neither here nor there. Sometimes people who do not like your work will have very valid points to make that are worth listening to.

There are a few people who make comments that are deliberately antagonistic and the best way to deal with those is not to rise to it. Either ignore them or just continue to be polite. They want you to get angry for their kicks and if you kick up a fuss they will mark you for a "lolcow" and keep coming back.
Thanks for your input too =D
This WHOLE THING started because someone said the boobs looked like a bag of beans, i simply replied "that's why i'm practicing" and it exploded in the worst way. Any sort of constructive criticism is FINE, but I know that I have to work on basics and anatomy for starters. I do have some bios written for some of the things I draw, I just wanted to wait until I could put together a proper ref sheet to post anything.

If anything, I wasn't expecting someone to rag on me due to the fact that my art isn't good yet. It'd be like someone getting angry and mad at a 5 year old for not drawing a triangle perfectly...
:iconyukih:
YukiH Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
kafine gave you some great insight... Some of these people get mad because they just want to. Here's a story, I had someone (not on this site) get mad at me because they didn't like my work. I think some people get mad because they expect you to be rude at some point towards them.... It's like this assumption that 'not so great artists' are egotistical and don't want to improve. When you kill these things with kindness sometimes you can make them feel like a real donkey.

I agree, maybe do some 'breast studies' and even look at some real pinup and have those ideas at the back of your mind first. In fact, try drawing a combination of (as suggested) real women because honestly, large breasts can distort the concept behind the human body in terms of how it moves and its limitations. Have you seen reiq's work? He loves breasts too...
:iconhkepoetry:
hkepoetry Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I can tell you why I don't like your drawings, just from looking real quick on your profile: those boobs aren't physically possible and the anatomy needs to get better. I also highly suggest trying to draw with colors, even if you think you can't. I also couldn't draw with colors two years ago, but I practised and got better.

I will also add that I don't hate you for drawing huge boobs that aren't physically possible.... I just dislike the art. But I don't hate you. :meow:

Last but not least, I will also give the advice to try to think more positive about yourself and your art. if you yourself think negatively about you and your art, other will too. :meow: Just saying.
See, that's constructive. Your giving me a GOOD reason why, not just blind "OMG, I don't like this, let me tell them why".
I've been working on it, it's slow, but sure. Is it the subject matter you dislike or just that my art sucks from lack of basics?
:iconhkepoetry:
hkepoetry Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd have to say it's the subject matter (I just don't like boobs looking like that, I guess). It looks almost as if you're making fun of boobs when you're making them so huge, and people might feel offended by it. I don't, but I still think they are ridiculously too big. :XD: It also seems like you're only making these as a joke and not serious art, if you get what I mean.
Other than that, I don't have any problem at all with your art. :) Your art doesn't suck, but as you said yourself: you need practise. Like we all do. :D
:iconschnitty:
Schnitty Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist
The only major critiques I can give you after looking at your gallery is to practice more and learn anatomy. You really need it.
I'm not going to tell you to stop drawing really large breasts, because you draw what you want. But anatomy and practice are things you really need to do, if you're looking to get better.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
hi, i'm back on this thread to say something else. i know my other comments were negative. so i am going to give a few more tips to try to help you...

-what i said earlier about coloring, anatomy, backgrounds, etc, is still something you should try to work on. i'm not saying that you have to be professional quality. improvement takes a long time. you don't have to be perfect but at least try, even if it doesn't come out amazingly.
-you said you draw with mouse and don't have a way to scan. well still, i STRONGLY recommend doing lots of sketches on paper. even if you can't scan them, the sketches will help you grow as an artist. not too many people are really good with a mouse. most people use paper or a tablet but i recommend paper. get a sketchbook and fill it up.
-maybe you can take a few pics with a camera and upload the sketches to show people on the internet, and ask people questions about tips to make your art better. "look at my sketch here, anything you think i should improve on?" or, just show your sketches to a person in real life.
-try to shade and color. you can use pencil to shade, or by cheap colored pencils (or watercolors) from Crayola or something. i'm not saying that in order to be a good artist, you MUST have TONS of expensive supplies. buy cheap supplies and just experiment with them. as you improve, you can upgrade and invest in more expensive supplies if you choose.
-i constantly repeat that artists should look at the artist they admire. look at great artists and learn from them.
-if you're able to get a tablet, you can try that too although i still recommend paperlpencil sketching as well. i don't support illegally downloading drawing programs. i support free programs like mypaint [link] or pixlr [link] if you have money and you want to buy photoshop or paint too SAI or something, do that if you want
-expect people to dislike your work. you do fetish work and that won't appeal to lots and lots of people. your style is unexpected and unusual to many people, and sexual in nature. all that makes some people uncomfortable. so just be prepared if people are surprised by your work, like i was.
-but maybe you could one time sketch a few women with more realistic proportions? at least to try it out, i'm not saying you have to only draw that way. but who knows, maybe you'll like it.

so the point is, TRY HARD. and this is the new year, a perfect time to make resolutions. make a resolution to try harder on your art than you have been. kick yourself and get to work. you aren't going to be an amazing artist overnight. but just do what you can, okay?
:iconvanibun:
VaniBun Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm not going to bash your art. You honestly have potential, and have interesting concepts. However, some of your advice is terrible. Namely the part where you say to look at artists they admire and learn from them.

Copying is a start, and a terrible start. You copy, your anatomy will suffer. Especially copying from cartoons and anime. Why is that? Because they know the rules, and they know how to break it. Most likely a person copying from these artists do not know the rules, and will still break them, and fail trying to do so.

For example, your art. I see that one of your major influences is Arina Tanemura, and I understand that, seeing your large eyes. Arina's eyes are extremely expressive, and her anatomy works. It is heavily stylized yes, but it still is recognizable as a human, and shows style, not glaring human anatomy problems. Her girls look like they can move and function as human beings. You used to draw huge eyes (you still do, but they have either moved down the face or gotten smaller) that used to muck up your anatomy to a point where your characters didn't seem human. That was because you drew them too high up, and their eyes took up too much cranial space, giving your characters no forehead, no space for a brain, and a flat head. You took a basic shoujo feature, applied to your own art, and ended up have glaring anatomical errors when drawing the head. Is drawing large eyes a bad thing? No, it is a legitimate style, but it is a style you have to know the rules before you break them, otherwise you will end up misplacing them. I used to do the same thing, with oversized eyes that ended up literately sliding off a girl's face. At least now you have recognized that mistake, and gave them some more room for a brain.

You should take your own advice and draw realistically time to time. Don't just look at other artists. They maybe inspirational to you, but your best option is to draw from life then stylize. Copying a style outright with a very basic idea of anatomy will doom you.

I honestly hope you don't take this as an attack on your art. You have potential and I hope you improve more, and faster.
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Finding inspiration from other artists =/= copying other artists.

It's perfectly fine to draw inspiration from other artists. People do master copies so they could learn techniques of old masters. And whether you think so or not, you are inspired by other artists' works. Does that mean you copy their style? Nope. Does that mean copy their anatomy/perspective/composition mistakes? No. The point of studying other artist's work is pick up technique, not style or mistakes. People study under other artists (usually masters) who teach them their technique so that they can apply what they learned to help them develop their own technique. Good art teachers also show students other works of art to show them how certain artists do certain things. Art history for artists, after all, is just not so the students to sit there looking at fascinating pieces of art.

As as she goes, you are right. She doesn't need to draw inspiration from other artists at the moment; she needs to draw from life and study how people, places, and objects work in real life. And for the most part I agree with you telling her to step away from her style. Of course, seeing her response, she isn't going to listen. However, I just thought I'd put my input on studying other artists. There's a right way to study artists and there is a wrong way.
VaniBun Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't know how she is studying from her favorite artists, that's the thing. For the most part it seems like she picks and chooses her favorite features from some styles and sort of mashes together. She may do it differently, but looking at her art, it doesn't seem that way.

I find it confusing that most of the advice she offers up, she refuses to do it with her own art, especially drawing from life. She says draw realistically but refuses all the time to do it herself.
The way she does it is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Studying artists is studying medium technique, not actual style. Usually study is for color and light; she uses in an inaccurate way.

And if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure I've had the same exact conversation with her a year ago about realism and such.
It's her own issue that she has to deal with eventually, because as I recall she has said she wanted to go professional as a mangaka or something.

Did she refuse to try drawing from life back then as well?
I think, although I can't remember (could be thinking about the wrong person but the style is similar to the person I was talking to), that she or someone was saying realism is boring and I was explaining that there's a difference between going for absolute realism and studying from life to get accuracy so that doing stylized work would be better.

Also, thank you for the fav. I always appreciate when someone likes my work
I remember an artist with a similar style to her and had the same response to realism as she does, so it could be her. But I think she has said in one of her deviations that realism doesn't interest her.

You're welcome :) You draw faces very beautifully. I like her expression and your markmaking. Thank you for the fave as well.
(1 Reply)
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ahahaa nope arina is not where i got my style from. i got it from POKEMON and i modified it over a long period of time. it does kindasorta look like arina and i LOVE her and she does influence me some but that's not where it originally came from.

and wow i never said "copy someone else." i said look at MANY DIFFERENT ARTISTS. i didn't say "only copy one person." you misunderstood what i said. look at many influences and gather everything together and add your own personal tastes.

yes i made some facial mistakes in the past but was it because i was looking at all my admired anime artists? no, that wasn't the cause of my problem!! the cause was that i was just building up my skill level!! of COURSE i am going to make lots of mistakes. i make fewer mistakes now than then. i will make fewer mistakes in the future than now. i made certain facial mistakes back then simply because, that was my skill level at the time. my skill level was lower before, now it got higher. it's that simple.

and you know what? here's something very important that may surprise you. i almost never draw realistic faces, but i still improved my facial style. you know what two things helped me improve my faces?
1. practicing my own style over and over again.
2. looking at many other anime artists. looking at them was what made me start to realize the problems with my faces.

looking at the artists i admire is a HUGE help to me. they make amazing art, i want to make amazing art, they know how to make amazing art, what's the problem? they know what they're doing, they are much better than i am, so that's why looking at their art a lot is very helpful to me. the fact that you said my advice was terrible when it's actually something that helped me a lot is just sad.

thanks for the kind words though! <3333
VaniBun Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I saw your meme, and Arina was one of the larger boxes, so I assumed most of your style was based off of her art, and other shoujo artists who drew very large eyes. My apologies.

However, looking at artists still is detrimental advise. Artists have many flaws in their work, and taking inspiration for their pieces leads to problems in other people's work. The reason why -good- art teachers like to beat into their students heads to work from life and actual humans and reality and not other artists is to prevent this from happening.

You have improved. But I find it odd that you give someone advise to draw realistically time to time and yet refuses (adamantly as well) to draw realistically time to time. I have not said you should STOP in your current style, in fact, I'm all for stylization, but practicing realistic from time to time, once in a while, really won't hurt. I'm not saying don't draw in your style and draw only realistically for a while, you can definitely do two at the same time. Hell, don't even draw realistically, at least study the human face. It's pretty cool because then you can see the differences in humans that make all of us unique in physique.

Also, I didn't said all of your advise was terrible, I meant that one portion was terrible. English is not my first language, so I don't always phrase things the way I'd like to.
Add a Comment: