Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Acrylic Paints....

:icondragonnerd445:
Dragonnerd445 Dec 30, 2012   Digital Artist
I recently got some acrylic paints for Christmas. Anyone have any good tips/tutorials on how to use them? Preferably blending colours. Thanks.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
There are many different ways to blend with acrylics. Here's the most common
1. Use Water
2. Work thick
3. Work slow and in small areas working your outward
4. If all else fails be lazy and use a slow drying medium
:icon290pika:
290Pika Dec 31, 2012  Student Filmographer
Acrylics clean up loads easier than oil paints, that's for sure! And they dry pretty quickly so it's easier to layer them.

But the bad thing is, they dry pretty quickly so it can be a pain if you don't work quickly enough. You might want to invest in some retardant. :nod: As for mixing the colors themselves, it just takes some practice getting used to the particular paints you bought. Depending on the pigment quality of the paint, you might get different results. I'd recommend maybe making a color wheel out of your paints and see how they mix.
:iconblackvragor:
blackvragor Dec 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Also, some people feel acrylics can become a muddy mess when blending. This is entirely untrue unless you abuse black. Black can quickly become your worst enemy.
Oh yes, you definitely want to steer FAR away from solid black...and white. Try to keep at least a hint of colour in them. *nods*
White is ultimately the most essential I've found actually, haha. Can't get a darn highlight to save your life without it. As for black, it's definitely a totally different story. :nod:
Lols, Yeh, white's excellent for highlights, but you gotta be careful with it, too. XD
I suppose. :)
Don't know so much about the "not blending" bit, haha. Mine blend perfectly fine on the palette or the format, though it does make for a longer process when working up a piece any larger than 18x24". I switched to acrylics a few years back, and I focus on an extremely restrictive palette. Keeping with tones similar to the conventional red, blue, and yellow and backing away from distant pre-mixed colors is a good approach. Everyone has a different approach to painting with acrylic, but if you want to knock out a painting pretty quick, mixing directly on the canvas has worked wonders for me. It forces you to work faster, and you can get a lot done within an hour if your paint dries fairly quickly. I personally work with 3 brushes, a large brush for an under layer plane, and then I jump on top of that with a mid-range brush once that's dried, and then maybe later tighten up things with a tiny little brush. Not to mention you can define planes of color however you feel that you left behind before as you go along with a piece.

Very little of that made sense, lol.
:iconsmoppet:
You may want to get some retarder gel if you want to be able to blend the colors.
They don't blend very well otherwise.
*wince* Hm....this is the first I've heard of this. I was told they were easier to work with then regular watercolours. Is there any specific brand I should look for?
Add a Comment: