Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Chances of getting into the School of Visual Arts?

:iconwiccimm:
wiccimm Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a senior in high school, and applying to VCUarts and SVA. I'm not too worried about being rejected from VCU, but acceptance into the School of Visual Arts vexes me. I'm paranoid I won't be accepted. I sent in the application not long ago, and my Slideroom portfolio is still in progress (what I have so far can be seen here: [link] ). What worries me about my work is that I don't really have any drawings/paintings made from direct observation yet, which is something I know SVA stresses.
As for academics, I have a 3.7 GPA and my super scored SAT score is 1670.

If any SVA students/alumni/applicants etc. could give me their two cents, I'd be very appreciative.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkerahmel:
Kerahmel Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
From what I've heard SVA accepts 75% of students who apply. Which is, a lot. At least, that's what my teacher informed me. So you're probably a shoe-in. :D And art schools don't stress scores as much as other colleges do. They mainly look at your portfolio and academic application.

I have the opposite problem as you. My portfolio is chock full of observational drawings but seriously lacking in conceptual stuff. My concept pieces aren't looking all too good right now. @__@;;

But I wish you luck in your endeavors! :):hug:

P.S. I never would've guessed you were my age. You seem so mature. ;A;
wiccimm Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks a lot for the info :hug: If I get in, I'll be sure to post about it :love:
:iconkerahmel:
Kerahmel Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You're welcome. I hope it was of help to you. :D And I can't wait for your next journal. :excited:
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i got in (but ended up attending a different college) a few years ago!! you are better than i was when i got in. (but idk what type of art you are pursuing. i told them in my essay that i wanted to study cartooning. not sure what art you want to pursue) although, i did have a higher SAT than you have. i had a 2000. but maybe that won't matter for you- you have a lot of talent! i think you'll get in.

yeah try adding some observation drawings. i didn't add enough of those at first, they had to call me and ask me to put more observation in. can't remember how many i did but maybe like 8 or 9? that's a guess though, i can't remember!
Thanks for the info!
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I dunno about art school's SAT requirements but for a normal college then 1670 is rather low. But I guess portfolio matters more than SAT.
Yeah, it's a fairly average score. But as far as academics go, I'm fine for both SVA and VCU, I just hope my portfolio is to their liking.
:iconarvalis:
arvalis Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Holy shit, you're still in high school? You'll be fine.
Thanks for the input :)
:iconanyie:
anyie Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Artist
I'm not SVA student/alumni/applicant but I think they should accept you, you are pretty good
Add a Comment: