Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Trying to practice the Fundamentals, but where to start?

:iconsydney3711:
Sydney3711 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been doing digital art for a while, and finally switched back to traditional (I got Copics). I realized that I just keep drawing and I don't really think about practicing things like anatomy, perspective, etc. I know the stuff generally, but I don't think I practice it enough. I've started reading Andrew Loomis' "Creative Illustration" book (in PDF form), because I heard that his books were must reads for artists. But in general, I'm not sure on where to start with learning the fundamentals again.

Anyone have any tips?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
If you have not already done so, I would start simpler than the Loomis books. Basic geometric shapes. Draw and shade spheres, cubes and cylanders. Everything is made up of geometric shapes, and it is easier to start with the basics, then move to more complex items, like still life's of flowers and things, then go large, and do things like buildings, cars and street scenes and then move on to people. And always use a refrence. Something right in front of you is best, but a photo is better than nothing.
:iconarmonah:
Armonah Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Do life drawings. Other than that, you're already taking the right steps: Loomis is a great jumping-off point.
:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just keep trying different things and the fundamentals will improve.
For perspective you have to learn the basics. It's kind of hard for one to come up with it by oneself.
:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Start small with the basics (anatomy, value, perspective and shapes.) Draw everyday even if it's just a doodle and watch what you're doing. Take as long as you need to to get it right and refrence is okay dispite of what some people will tell you.
Add a Comment: