Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 68

What makes a good art teacher?

:iconclaralieu:
claralieu Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I've written this journal entry titled "How to be a good art teacher" [link] What do you think makes a good art teacher? What do you want to see your art teachers do?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvashneo28:
vashneo28 Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist
Hi im new here at devianart you can visit my gallery at [link] much appreciate if you have fav and comments thank you dear...
:icontokkitogepi:
Tokkitogepi Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think emphasis on one's individual perspective and enhancing their own style is important. While letting people be unique, I think it's still important to understand basics such as structure, shading, quality, etc. that can be seen in any style of art.
I'm completely a self-taught artist, and have fed off of the critique/comments I've received throughout my life. A lot of it comes down to finally having that 'click' when something just makes sense and looks right ^u^ sometimes that comes fast for people, and for others it's much slower. I think patience with art is the most important
claralieu Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more.
:iconyukih:
YukiH Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
To add on, I read both that post and the one directed towards students.

Since I've been in college (not studying art) a lot of the things mentioned on both sides are relevant to any teacher.
One thing that seems more specific to visual art (and maybe writing...) more than any other field in terms of teaching seems to be being able to see the way a student sees and tailor to their specific concerns and figure out their concerns before they even arise in the first place! I see that concept more with people who have completed schooling and are now are working with developing a product for clients.
Thanks for reading! I'm actually working on a book that addresses how closely related the student experience is to the teacher experience. Thanks for reaffirming!
:iconchronos-kun:
Chronos-Kun Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student Digital Artist
The top teachers I have gotten the most out of are the humble, wise, extremely knowledgeable/experienced in the field, and super fun, but still lead with a stern hand. These are also teachers whom do not judge or argue against a student's thought process, but simply guide them through it and help the student the best way that is possible in regards to fulfilling the student's vision. These teachers/professors have also unloaded a double barrel too the head, and given harsh but extremely beneficial and motivating advice during critique, and most of all, wisdom that has usually been about their experiences in the professional field and what to expect/ is required of you. which in turn lead to cool life stories and a healthy dosage of informative growth as an art student. ^_^

It's a happy medium so to say, and it is rare to find such people, but it is something that comes with growing life experience and good people skills. With that said, let those whom seek advice/to learn from you, be welcomed, always, with a smile, open arms, and a truck load of advice/wisdom that the student might crave ever so much from a teacher.
Beautifully said!
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
An impressively decent level of artistic talent is a must I think; it's all well and good having all the teaching qualifications, but they mean little if one is not highly proficient in the subject being taught. Especially for an art teacher, I think being able to lead by example is a must. 

I'm sure I could say a lot more, but I'm sure it's already been said here. =p
claralieu Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I think that's very true, there's nothing more discouraging than seeing your teacher's work and thinking it's not very good.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Indeed. I had three main tutors at college, and although their styles weren't the kind of thing I favor, it was obvious that they were good, and that they knew what they were doing. :nod:
Add a Comment: