People who ask for critiques, but don't really want them! I mean, come on, I KNOW how to use the sandwich effect, I'm not going to destroy you. A lot of people seem to only see the negative chunk in the middle and none of the compliments. I work very hard to give fair words!
Funny, I just did a journal entry similar to this. After being on Deniant Art for two years now ad being exposed to the art of others, I've formed a few "pet peeves". I could go into big detail on each one, but I'll narrow down my list and simplify my reasons for disliking something.
(In no particular order)
1: Unoriginality. People that just create poorly done "OC's" based off of some fandom or a concept that has been done millions of times before.
2: Ponies. MLP. Their target audience is little girls. Not people that are teenagers or anyone else who's age is in the double digits.
3: The Sonic Fandom. Sure, I have played a few games back in the day, but I'm not a huge Sonic fan. Seeing them everywhere on DA... I'm sick of them.
4: People that produce nothing but terrible art over and over and complain by saying "I wish I could draw better" ,"Draw like so and so." etc. If you want to get better, stop being lazy, get a sketchbook and PRACTICE. You will get better over time. Don't be afraid to try new subjects and mediums. Don't be afraid to make mistakes - you learn from them.
5: Bad and Exaggerated anatomy. I can understand with beginning artists, good anatomy of ANYTHING cannot be learned overnight. Get a sketchbook , an artist doll, a model to pose for you, or go to a figure drawing class. Over time, you can improve. However, people with a bad sense of anatomy and no desire to practice - will never get anywhere. I also dislike exaggerated anatomy which goes for what I like to call "boulder boobs" and extremely thin waists. This also includes any form of unnatural body enlargements - inflation or others weird fetishes . Just Noooooo.
6: Porn. I could go on and on about this one - but that would be beating a dead horse so I'll just list the basics. Nudity doesn't really bother me - I've taken a few figure drawing classes for my illustration major that consist of drawing the nude male and female form. However, you will NEVER see a model bent over with their legs spread apart to show their insides. It's a bit sickening to see photos( mostly poor quality) of a nude girl in a sexual position revealing every part of her lady bits and labeling the photo as "artistic nude." NO. Just NO. This also goes for complete sex pictures.
7: Badly shaded art. Or unshaded. No sense of establishing form or a light source. People that use black and white to shade and make highlights. That's a no no.
That's just some. I saw this topic in the forums and I couldn't resist.
I think if you want photorealistic or hyperrealistic paintings or drawings or digital whatever you'd most likely need a reference photo to take from. I have yet to see someone who has achieved a hyperrealistic or photorealistic artwork without some picture similar to their final piece.
"Doll bases". I can't stand these. They're so common and unoriginal. Plus, you're not doing any work. You're just drawing over them.
As for graphite drawing, ihate when people use tissues to smudge the graphite to create a shaded effect too often. Especially thoughout the whole picture. A little bit is fine, but not the whole damn thing. To me it looks bad, and its insanely obvious that you did it. i find too much of this technique makes the picture look washed out.
I haven't seen this, but I understand how that can be frustrating. If someone is going to say something like that, why not just leave a comment instead?
I don't know why so many people like sonic. Maybe it's the age group? Personally, I never really liked sonic, even when it had it's Tv show an the whole nine yards. I liked Mario and Kirby more when I was younger.
I know exactly what you mean. I don't understand why there are so many half assed sonic oc's out there getting so much praise from the fandom. I mean, i love sonic and i grew up with him, but c'mon, just because you like sonic doesn't mean that it's still "bad" art!
I just assume these people are 'sick' in some way and don't have any means to get any treatment. The age group I'm referring towards is ages 17 and up. Anything earlier than that and I assume they're just being retarded children. The same premise falls for anime and furries with there odd fetishes. This isn't evolution, these obsessions, its regression.
Well I hate to see brutal art or art which includes ugly things. What hunts me in my dreams... really, before month I saw deviation which includes the Death with hood and while I was sleeping I suddenly realised that it is watching me infront of my window and I just had myself paralised on the floor... I woke up immediately and my head was directed to the same window, where this thing was starring at me... it was the scariest thing I've ever dreamed...
People that post a dozen stamps "Comment before you fav!!!!11!!!" in the description has got to be my biggest turn-off. I mean, if I have something to say about an artwork I'll say it. And there's nothing you can do to force me. In fact, it will make me not favorite any of your stuff and click that back button.
Another huge irritation is Pokemon, Sonic, My Little Pony etc. and their horrible spin-off "original" characters. Every piece of art, no matter how horribly drawn, how impossibly bad the anatomy and how expressionless the faces, because of the huge fan-base will get more attention than original work. Plus that same fan-base is made up of childish, touchy kids who mistake critiques for ass-pats
Well, let's see. This mainly applies to stuff that I have seen on deviantart, but it can apply to works posted outside of this site as well.
1. One of my biggest pet peeve are flat digital art drawings. What do I mean by this? Drawings that have no depth to them, no indication of space and art there fore, flat. Don't get me wrong, I like digital drawings, but I believe that there are good and bad ways to make a digital drawing. I get that people will not always be perfect, but if I look through your file and you have been a deviant for over a year, and yet all of your drawings look flat, you should be using more time and effort to improve.
2. Males that are feminized/ When people draw men/male characters that look feminine. This one gets to me a lot, especially when I see my favorite male characters drawn like women. If so much effort is going into posting these images, then why not spend as much effort LEARNING the correct human anatomy. This also brings me to three.
3. Incorrect anatomy, impossible/not realistic poses. Both beginners and professionals have both had incorrect anatomy in their drawing. The EscherGirls tumblr is a good example of bad anatomy in the professional art world. And these people are getting paid millions too!
4. The fact that digital art gets looked at more than traditional art. This is really sad. I think there are many talented traditional artists in this community who are amazing, yet their art is overlooked by digital artworks.
5. Seeing people post "Please read and rate, please like, please comment so I can post more images" or anything of this variety under their artwork. This crap makes me mad to no end and when I see posts like this, it makes me think that the person is craving attention or is an approval addict. Oh, and most likely, I may not comment either. I leave that up to the idiots who aren't above brown-nosing or sucking up to artists they admire. This also leads me to number 6.
6. Idolizing artists/artwork. Ok, so I get that this artist produces great work, but it's annoying to see a flood of comments going "OMG! Your art is great!" or something along the lines of that. That's annoying to see when you get dozens of other comment like that. Also, artists are just people.
7. Creating a fan-club for OCs. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't seen a heap of examples, but I have seen some. Those Ocs aren't well known enough to merit a club. Even from good artists. And if the creator themselves creates a fanclub for an OC that has gotten a lot of attention, I am apt to think that they love those OCs a little too much. And just think of all the clubs we would have to keep up if EVERY oc in existence had a fan club. My goodness!
8. Last one. Seeing too much anime or work that is anime inspired. I love anime, but I get sick when that's all I see. There are other forms of art too. If too many people are creating anime-related work, then anime will cease to be unique before long.
First thing that came to mind but... When someone draws their characters with so little...expression! I see so many characters who have the same blank expression all the time and it gets so repetitive and boring. I mean, if this blank expression has something to do with the character as a person thats fine...But not all the time. Everyone has different expressions, and no one just has a blank face all the time. Expressions breath life into a character, and it's a shame when there is a character that just doesn't seem to have any life in them.
I hate to see general pictures of 'My little pony-friendship is magic' being littered on the front page, as the only reason they are is 'fandom'. It's like all you need to do to get to the frontpage is redraw a screenshot from te series.
I agree. And I know how to pick out the nude pictures from the ones meant to be pornographic. The ones that are nude for art's sake tend to be higher quality, whereas the ones that are not tend to have poorer photo quality. And the expressions on the face say it too.