Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

When you are in one of those times that you just don't want to do art..

:iconsydney3711:
Sydney3711 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
... Do you force yourself to do it or wait until you want to do it?

For instance, say you have a lot of requests to do. Try as you might, but you just get so bored because you're always working on them. Do you give up for a while until you feel like doing it, or just keep doing it? (feeling sick about it, and maybe not putting your best effort into it [it seems that way whenever I do it...])

I've heard it both ways: Doing it NOW even though you don't feel like doing it is what can really help you get good later (but in my opinion would make me even more stressed), and doing it later when you feel like doing it helps you do your best, in a way.

I'm sorry if that was confusing :/ Anyways, do you force yourself to do art if you don't feel like doing it, or wait until you feel that urge to finish your piece? And what would be better in the long run in your opinion?

Thanks! :aww:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I don't like to force myself. My work quality goes down.

I usually switch mediums. I haven't drawn anything decent in almost a year, but I've been doing sculpture and glass work and stuff (and not been organized enough to photo and post them).

But if I have something that I've been paid for, then I'll do it. Whether I want to or not. That's the 'work' part right there.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,
I set clear deadlines for all of my client art. I keep a list of a reasonable number of achievable goals for each day and I force myself to meet those deadlines. Beyond that, I squeeze in little projects that are fun when I feel like doing them. Unfortunately my personal projects don't get much attention, but at least the paying work always gets finished! =)
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I can't be bothered in doing art when it's like 40 degrees Celsius
:iconinguyen95:
iNguyen95 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've been in the same position where i just wasn't motivated enough to draw but i guess i force myself to start and then what do you know? 2 hours pass by. ;P I would say do whatever is most comfortable for you. Art is supposed to be fun not stressful. :)
Exactly. :) Also, traditional art, in my opinion, is more exciting for me, and the hours REALLY tick by. When I'm doing digital, I constantly look at the clock since it's there. And then my mind starts wandering, and then I think about how bored I am lol! But I guess that's just all part of the process. :)
:iconochanotsuki:
ochanotsuki Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, if someone is waiting on a piece I generally find a way to inspire me. I'm constantly experimenting with color, technique, composition, and that really excites me. I know, art-nerd lol. But I take the request and bend it so that I can always try something new with it. I actually find that sort of process to be far better for me and the requester than anything else.

But Rovanna is right. If you're making yourself anxious or frustrated over requests, then maybe it's time to take a break. Instead of doing requests maybe do some contest entries. You get more freedom with them, but you still have a goal, which is good.

Anyways, good luck ^_^
You're right, I probably should have tried something new with it. I think part of my problem is I always do pretty much the same thing. :) Thank you! Gosh, doing a contest entry sounds so good right now! ^-^ When I finish my last request I'll probably do one. :)
:iconochanotsuki:
ochanotsuki Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
no problem :D I'm glad I could help ^_^
:hug: ^^
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I usually do something productive, either art theory or play piano or do something else.
Add a Comment: