Closed to new replies
December 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Oil painting newbie!

:icondoofiesaurus:
Doofiesaurus Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, hey guys. I've never used the forum on here before.

I really enjoy drawing and taking photos, but I wanna expand my knowledge of medias so I received some oil paints for Christmas. I have a really really vague idea of how to use them, but I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips & tricks for an oil paint noob like me?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you didn't even open them up and you're already asking for advice?

jesus.
:iconmaxspider72:
maxspider72 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Traditional Artist
Congratulations! I did the same thing last year. Check out some books, websites, other Deviant artists' work... Anything you can learn from. But mostly, just start painting. Experiment with colors, try a couple different mediums, different canvases, etc. Don't get discouraged if your first couple don't come out as well as you'd like. My first couple paintings pretty well sucked. Good luck and have fun with it! :spidey:
Doofiesaurus Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Cheers mate, much appreciated. Do you have any suggested Deviants I can look at?
:iconmaxspider72:
maxspider72 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Traditional Artist
Not specifically. There are a great many really good oil artists on DA, but there are a couple oil painting clubs you could check out. There's some general painting clubs as well. Oil, acrylic, watercolor... Good luck! :spidey:
Alright, thank you! ^.^
:iconclaralieu:
claralieu Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Don't use turpentine, the fumes are toxic and you can achieve the same thing with Gamsol, [link] a solvent made by the Gamblin company that is very low odor and not as harmful. Always paint with proper ventilation. Get a "silicoil brush cleaning tank", [link] one of the best tools I ever purchased for cleaning your brushes. (fill it with Gamsol) Wear latex gloves to keep the paint off your skin. If you have more questions, ask away.
Okay. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated :)Do you have any tips on adding shade with oils?
:iconclaralieu:
claralieu Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I would just say be careful of your colors getting too muddy. A lot of people think that using black or grey to made shadows is good, but in reality it just makes the shadows muddy. Try deep purples and blues instead.
:icon5minalone:
5minalone Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Traditional Artist
Yea sure you need some turpintine and some good paint thiner. Make sure you clean your brushes work in thin glazes then build up slowly. be prepared for long drying times. You are going to need brushes that can deal with oil paint. be carefull oil paint and solutions can be harmful dont inhale fumes or leave on skin to long. you may want to get a walter foster book they are great for people just starting out. if you need anymore info just ask.
Add a Comment: