Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Right handed, problems with left side

:iconmorriganblue:
MorriganBlue Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Oh hey. So I am curious if anyone else has this problem or I'm just broken like that. :))

So I am right handed, meaning ofc I draw using my right hand. But I always had a very big problem lining and sketching things that were on the left side... of the page, or just the left side of the drawing.... it's like I cannot visualize the lines too well if they are to the left. So when I use a pencil I end up having to erase and redo it a lot.

This problem was completely solved when I got my tablet. Drawing in SAI or PS was easy with the mirroring and switching of canvas. But I do prefere pencils for sketching.

Does this happen to everyone? Will it go away in time, with practice? Is there a way to get over it faster ?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sounds like something related to hemispatial neglect [link]
Does it happen when you ink a finished sketch? Or when rotating the paper?
MorriganBlue Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
It happens when i'm trying to sketch :P inking isn't really a problem because i can ink following an already made line... but the lines are devilish. You know, when you sketch something and usually your hand follows the line you imagine that should be there... and eventually you line it and yuo look at it and think "yep this is ok"... well I can do it like this on the right side, but on the left... the lines i trace are nothing like what they should be. And sometimes I'm really thiking...

For example with a circle. I can trace the right side perfectly, as a perfect half of a cercle. The left one will definitely be not curved enough, or the curve will be too accentuated on the upper or the lower side xD like a beerbelly. And this affects everything i do. Sure enough, after few mistakes i manage to do it at least to a satisfactory level, inking covers these kind of mistakes even better.
:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wonder if it's related to the size of drawing or the ability to move your hand/arm while drawing. I had more problems drawing the right side because right hand kind of blocks it :p
MorriganBlue Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I have no clue to what it is related, the right hand blocking is actually a valid argument, except i also have this problem while drawing using the tablet, in which case my hand isn't blocking anything
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Someone with hemispatial neglect would leave the left side totally blank :lol:
:iconbrooksle:
BROOKSlE Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Digital Artist
i have to agree - practice makes perfect. as far as trying to get over it faster.. i'm not positive, but you could try tracing over other people's drawings to figure out how symmetric anatomy is supposed to feel. you could also google reference images and do the same thing. i actually do it a lot and it helps with symmetry, anatomy and posing problems.
I tried the tracing. guess that really need practicing. It feels like there's no "confidence" in the lines I trace on the left either... like eating with my left hand or smth. except it's not the left hand
it's funny actually.... I totally fit that saying... of having two left hands. or more like 1 left hand and a half :/
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Practice? Draw a lot of major things on the left, like faces and stuff. :shrug: When you're done, you could flip the page upside down or flip it over and hold it up to the light.
MorriganBlue Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
yea with faces I have the biggest problem. Because it's vital that the face sides are symmetric. I used to begin with the right side and never could mirror it for the left side exactly, so then I tried to start with the left side then "copy" it in the right side. But it doesn't always work, whatever is at left is bad. So most of the time I end up drawing different poses, not frontals because of this...
Add a Comment: