Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

GOOD PENCIL CRAYONS/CRAYON BRAND?

:iconmayvi:
Mayvi Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I would like to get some nice coloured pencil crayons for personal work and school.
I'm going to college next year and would like some decent ones that arent too pricey, and are good quality.
I need ones that
-Are strong, resist breakage
-Good blendability
-Good colour/pigments
-Nice variety of colours
-Decently priced

I have tried:
-Crayola. Not bad colour, but they break extremely often and get short very quickly
-Prismacolour Scholar. I found the colours very ugly, they didn't blend well either.

I do not want to try :
Prismacolor pencils. I hear they are nice, but they are too expensive for me.

Has anyone tried Faber Castell coloured pencils? I hear alot of artists use them. Are they any good? What's so great about them anyways? I might try them.

I've tried Derwent water coloured pencils. I think they are okay (dont have anything to relate it to :/), do they come in regular pencil crayons? Are they good?

Thanks so much!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxephalia:
Xephalia Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I can't help at all sorry but I'm interested in the same thing you asked - need some cheap colored pencils.
What are you willing to dish out though? Around what price range.
mmmm $30?
:iconsprocket07:
sprocket07 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have these Steadler pencils that my friend gave me. They're erasable, and I really like them XD They bled easily and they hardly ever break. I've used mine soooo many times and their still about as tall as when I got them. The colours are pretty nice too, even though I only have a set of 12, but you can blend them to make different shades. It says Noris Club on the package, so I don't know if that's what their called or what =P It's made by Steadler though.
I know the ones :)
:iconorangefuss:
ORANGEFUSS Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student General Artist
I've been using Faber Castell for quite sometime nao (4 years?). /lol

Either the Classic Colours or the Watercolour ones are great!
And hey its not that expensive when you compare it with other brands.

Oooh, Prismacolour ain't good? ; v ;
/wasabouttobuyaboxof24

Oh well good luck on your Brand hunt! c:
I don't like the Prismacolour Scholar pencils. I can't say anything about the other Prisma ones :P
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Unfortunately student-grade pencils tend to be crap and artist-grade pencils tend to be expensive. If you don't want to buy Prismacolor, which are $30 (on sale) for a set of 36 at Dick Blick I can't see you shelling out $55 for 36 Faber-Castell Polychromos or Derwent Studio pencils. So whatever people are going to recommend, it's either going to be much like what you're already using, or out of your price range.

If you're serious about working in pencil crayon, my recommendation is to obsessively look for deals on 48- or 72-colour sets of the really good artist-grade brands. You may be able to find a nice set for super-cheap someday and they'll last you for a long time.
:iconschnee-fee:
Schnee-Fee Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Filmographer
I have both Prismacolors and FaberCastell in their full set (Polychromos in the case of FaberCastell)

I personally like FaberCastell most because there's more ways to do things with them, are easier to erase if you make a mistake and you can blend with your finger on the fly, since they're oil based.
would you be able to elaborate on the "there's more ways to do things with them" please :)?
:iconschnee-fee:
Schnee-Fee Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Filmographer
You know the usual Put the pencil on paper and that's it method? Try using graphite, water color, and hell, even alcohol with them. Color combos like that make drastic changes to the image. It's really cool.
Add a Comment: