Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

Hey people you don't know me.

:icontsukuart:
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student Filmographer
I am supposedly an artist but you know I want to makes myself popular. Whats popular now and if I jump on the bandwagon would that be selling out? Is it like morally wrong or something. i really don't know.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconronnyskoth:
RonnySkoth Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
I've noticed that eyes have become quite popular nowadays
Tsukuart Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
Eyes have always been popular. I don't think they'll ever stop being amazing.
:iconkingofsouls:
Kingofsouls Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Art is an expression and extension of you. Draw what you want, not just what will get views, faves, and comments. Trust me.
What if I want to draw but don't have any ideas. If I don't draw I'll get rusty for when I actually have ideas.
Ryman: Dressing up ANYONE as ME is always a great idea!

Jokes aside, just start thinking and the thoughts will lead you to ideas. One of these trains lad to my idea that the Aztec calendar was a warning of an alien invasion so the one scientist guy who figured it out built a robot girl to fight them.

See? Scour the internet, start thinking, play games: anything that gets you thinking.
Um kay
Okay, not the greatest example, but the point is to just start thinking. One thing leads to another.
:iconinguyen95:
iNguyen95 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
All of my art is Fan-art. I just do it for fun and i genuinely enjoy it. :D
Coolio
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
You are not going to become popular overnight just because you do fanart from popular shows, don't even waste your time with that, lots of people are doing what's popular already and not all of them are popular. Better work on improving your art.
:iconjuelleann:
juelleann Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
:iconsaluteplz:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
:highfive:
I'm mostly just curious about what's popular. I'm not looking to be popular from fanart. Fanart is just a means to an end. The end being having better skills.
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
That's not what it looks like from your OP but whatever, you can see on the front page what's popular; good luck.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Hopping on the bandwagon actually doesn't help if you're just a bad artist to begin with.
I'm not a bad artist I just don't draw enough
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student General Artist
Ehhhh..........I wouldnt recommend that. If you like the popular stuff, please go ahead, but dont draw stuff you dont take interest in just for the sake of popularity.
I'm interested in lots of things. I never thought about drawing them though.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The question is: are you willing to give up your own artistic freedom in order to do what is popular?
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
this.

(also, your signature... you misquoted Nietzsche. Had to say it. sorry.)
I'll probably just use it as inspiration unless it perfectly lines up with my ideals. Like I hate twilight because the sentence structure sucks and it has sucky descriptions and the movie wasn't great either.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't think it's morally wrong. I like drawing fan art and my own art. However, if you draw fan art for views and not because you like something . . . it will be harder to keep up with it and it won't be the same. It will lack heart.
That's why I want to know a few. Theres sure to be a least one that I'm either already a fan of or will become a fan of.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ah that makes sense. Well you could always draw things like Pokemon, which is always in style it seems.
:iconxephalia:
Xephalia Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Uhhh. I don't recommend you do too much fanart. If you do it not so willingly, you won't be doing it with spirit and it wouldn't really be too satisfying to you who's making the art. Sure some is fine to get so viewers and bring population but not too much- do what you want as a priority.
I don't know what I want to do so that's why I even considered this.
:iconrookieowl:
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've always draw fan-art because I like it not because it's mainstream or not or because it will make me popular or not.
Do you did it just for fun or do you have a goal
:iconrookieowl:
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
At the start it was just for fun but now I'm thinking on doing it for improvement, when I have improved enough I may go on original stuff, but that may take a long time, I have plenty of it anyway.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
There's no art police, you can do whatever you want. :) If your aim is popularity, then I guess fanart is a way to do it. And yeah, not everyone draws fanart to try and get popular.

You may want to pick something that you are interested in. Because if you hate ponies, but are drawing ponies to please pony fans, then it's going to get old real fast. And there's No guarantee the pony fans are going to look at your other art.
I love ponies. Pinkie Pie forever
:icondraze:
draze Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Traditional Artist
^

Also, in response to some of the more casual answers, no. not everyone does it at one time or another.
I didn't think so. Unless you're a comercial artist then it's kinda obvious it's going to go in that direction one time or another.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
"I am supposedly an artist but you know I want to makes myself popular. Whats popular now and if I jump on the bandwagon would that be selling out? Is it like morally wrong or something. i really don't know."

Depends on whether you genuinely like the bandwagon or not. Drawing popular things is like being friends with a popular guy. It makes a big difference whether you hang out with someone popular because you like them or because you are desperately hoping their friends will talk to you. The first is all right. The second is pathetic. And if you have to ask what's popular, it doesn't sound like you're going to draw it because you like it.
I asked that because I like a lot of things but I can't decide what to draw strange for an artist I know but meh
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student General Artist
What's popular now: Anime (normally the cell-shaded professional kind) boobies, My Little Pony, Pokemon, RotG(Rise of the Guardians), Hetalia, bishies, cute and colorful stuff.

It would be selling out technically, but everyone does it at some point for attention. My advice is, do what you want. Even if you sell out,(most of the times it's a bad thing) it doesn't really matter in the long run as long as you put your heart into it and bring original stuff to the table while you're at it. ;)
I had a sudden urge to make a parody but didn't know what to make it of. Which is kinda wierd since I usually dislike parodies.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student General Artist
Meh... it doesn't matter really. Only do it if you feel like it. =P
I think I'll make one of the holiday thing. Seems easy enough
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student General Artist
Yep!

Oh, and the "everyone jumps off the bandwagon" thing was my bad. :XD: Ignore that. :shifty:
:iconbaranamtara:
Baranamtara Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
... Don't do it.
If you ever feel like changing, then people will leave you... Well, if it's really only about fanart... XDDD
But adding a little bit of fanart in between your original works, then it might be fine~~
Just don't stick to one thing... Fanart can help you get started, but don't rely on it.
I had an urge to do something mainstream don't know why. Maybe cause I haven't been drawing much. My skills leave much to be desired since I stopped so I'm hoping this will help me relearn.
Baranamtara Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Doing fanart can be a good basis. A lot of peopel started like that... XD
You can look through the styles you like and adapt them... add them, play with them... XDDD
I tend to do that sometimes... ^0^
If it worked for artist I love then why not for me, right?
Baranamtara Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Haha... True. ^^
Just don't let it be hte only thing you do~~ ^o^
Add a Comment: