Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

is this bad?

:iconangelfiregirl123:
angelfiregirl123 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
now I don't use bases at all but sometimes I ask permission to outline(trace) a original base just to get the shape of the base.

The Original base was free to use is that a bad thing?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnaomibomb:
NaomiBomb Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
In my opinion, maybe try draw from life rather than bases. Bases are flat and won't give you a sense of depth or proportion, so try draw from life more than bases.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think the whole bases thing is a weird thing to begin with. Poses aren't copyrighted at all, so why couldn't you copy a pose from a base?
:iconlilithali:
Lilithali Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Its perfectly fine, as long as the person who owns that base or picture is ok with you using it. Everyone is different and how you learn to draw can be very different than the way other people did. I myself started out the same way, tracing/using bases. I believe it helped me learn how to shape things and it was excellent practice.
:iconbergholtz:
Bergholtz Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
But if you are tracing the base you are using the base. I thought that was the whole point of bases?
angelfiregirl123 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
yes I know but I don't draw on top of them. I trace the base just to get the figure I am drawing well right now
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
As an original basemaker, I provide my resources for people to do what they like with them, tracing them blowing them up whatever, however I just ask that if you used it in any way shape or form you link back to me as your resource. Pretty much all basemakers ask the same thing. :D
ok thanks
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Legally you're not doing anything bad, since you're asking permission, but artistically tracing it harmful since the only thing you're learning is how to become dependent on tracing. 
yes I agree I wont trace often
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Also, if you only use bases when attempting difficult poses you'll never learn how to draw difficult poses. Be aware of that.

Also grammar. :stare:
Add a Comment: