Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Bad Beginnings, Any Tips?

:iconinvaderkimmy:
InvaderKimmy Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm really bad at having my art out there... :blush: I know I'm not an amazing artist, but I like to think I'm pretty good... I also understand it takes time for people to notice your art... But when weeks, months go by and one of my best pictures has only 5 views, something must be wrong with me! :iconcriesplz:

No, this is not a desperate act of being an attention whore... :iconfacepalmplz:

I'm just looking for some kind tips from a generous deviant to help me get started (not new; deviant for almost 2 years) :iconbegplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpsychoticking:
PsychoticKing Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Submitting your art and posting on the forums is a great way for somone to check out your work, offering art trades and commissions will do so too. But patience and practice is the key. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. :)
InvaderKimmy Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I will remember that last line and take it to the heart :heart:
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,
Being popular on deviant art gets you approximately nothing. Working to develop your skills can lead to a career in art and maybe that is a better goal.

However, identifying any goal (getting popular on DA) and achieving it, is a skill building exercise and that can be somewhat useful I think...
How to be more popular on DA: [link]
Wow! Thanks for the great link :D
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ah. Short and simple. Practice and Promote your art. Mostly practice.
Mkay thank you ^.^
:iconmiasmic-mind:
miasmic-mind Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
i hardly get any views either. think you just gotta promote.
InvaderKimmy Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mhm :nod:
:iconharbige12:
Harbige12 Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I feel the same way, brother. Try making friends. They are most likely willing to see and praise the drawings you post.
Thanks ^-^
:iconzeirai:
Zeirai Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I feel where you're coming from! 6 years here, counting my old account, and I haven't had much luck. I can't offer you anything solid, but I can tell you what SEEMS to work best.

Sometimes you've gotta give in to what the public likes, it's a pessimistic way to think, but I've found that the only sure way to get attention is to draw things that people can recognize immediately. Cute stuff like chibis and anime, fanart, things other people can relate to.
Lots of people will key in, say... 'Kingdom Hearts'. There is a massive kingdom hearts fanbase that will be searching all over for just that. People will follow you if they like what they see. Now say you submitted your OC named Jimmyjang from Yongdong or something. How are people going to see you?

Another thing is resources. People are constantly looking for them. Things like tutorials, bases, that sort of stuff. My warning though---going into resources might have people looking at you for that stuff only. It's annoying to have some tutorial you made 5 years ago in 2 minutes get more recognition than your actual art.

Post in all sorts of groups: (try not to post your art into those 'accept all art constantly' groups). You don't want to post in a group that submits 400 pieces a day. You do want to post in a REGULATED group---one that accepts around 1-2 piece a week from it's members so the group doesn't get spammed.

Use the thumbshare forums, and comment/follow people who don't have as much attention. You'll have a better chance getting them to like you too, especially if you share common interests! I'm sure the Welcome Forum can get you lots of friends, they are very nice people over there :)

(also, gaiaonline is a good way to get your art out there. you can take requests and hand out freebies whilst promoting yourself ;))
Thank you very much for the advice :hug:
:icondawnflower8:
dawnflower8 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Student General Artist
I have basically no fans and views... I know how u feel
Yeah :( we just gotta hang on ^^;
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
There's definitely nothing wrong with you dear but you need to consider that deviantart is huge and most of the people here are artists themselves trying to get attention for their own art so it can be quite difficult to get views in your art. I have been in dA for around 6yrs and only recently I started getting more attention, even though it's not a lot, it's still more than a few years back.

Submitting to groups helps but you need to submit to a lot of groups actually; also post often, I have noticed artists that post more and more often get more views and followers, I think posting at least once per week would be a good idea. Another important thing is to keep practicising and improving your art, most people don't like a gallery that shows zero improvement over a long period of time and the better your art is the more likely people are to be interested in watching you and finally, be active on the site, the more active you are the better, comment on peoples art (try to comment on art that doesn't have many comments), fave, watch deviants you like, post on thumbshare forum, etc.

Good luck! :love:
InvaderKimmy Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks a ton :heart:
:iconametystical:
Ametystical Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
1. Keep practicing and improving your art.

2. Submit with a certain frequency. It's better to submit 1 art each 14 days than submit 5 pieces in a day then stay a whole month without submit anything. But try to post at least 1 art per week or so (the more active the better). When submitting your art try to write the more key words you can.

3. Submit your art to as many groups as you can (better the popular ones).

4. Leave comments (prefer commenting on not so popular works 'cause the popular artists don't use to reply). When you think you've commented enough, then comment more xD. My tip is that you try to write constructive comments instead the "oh, it's cool" ones, in order to get noticed. But don't forget to be polite (some people are really sensitive and can get offended easily). You can point out what you like and what you dislike and end up with a compliment. Or just let them know what you like, it's up to you.

5. Participate in forums giving interesting opinions, post thumbs of your art in the thumb share forum and create forum threads to get noticed.

6. Participate in group's contests and official contests.

7. Do memes, people love memes!

8. Do some fanart.

I'm new here, but this have helped me. I some of my watchers met me from threads I've replied, art I've commented, memes I've done and so forth.

Hope this helps. :)
Oh it does you have no idea how much I appreciate it :heart:
:iconametystical:
Ametystical Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
Here are my tips. :love:

Step 1: Make art worth noticing. Look at your gallery from the perspective of a random and ask yourself would you watch yourself or comment on your art. Learn new things and improve your skills
Step 2: Put it where people can see it. You could try groups (I haven't had much success with visual art groups, but maybe I haven't found the right ones) or the Thumbshare forum. Comment and critique exchanges on the Thumbshare are good because you can learn what people like about your art and if they have suggestions of things to improve. You could even start your own thread in there.
Step 3: Make friends! This is super important. Comment on art that you like (Lots of people complain they get no comments, but they never comment on others' art) talk to people, ask them questions. Watch people that you like. Find cool people in the forum, talk to them about art. Go to Projects and do some art trades.
Thank you very much I appreciate the advice and am taking every bit of it :D
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012   Digital Artist
Good luck! :love:
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
Maybe you're just not terribly active to get any attention to your page :shrug: You get what you give to this site. Comment on more work, comment on forum threads, join groups/clubs to get your work some more exposure, and just be active around the site :nod: As the saying goes: the squeaky wheel gets the grease ;P
Okay thank you so much :meow: It's really great to know there are still good mannered people on the internet who's purpose isn't solely to troll >.<
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy being an ass sometimes :lol: But only for recreational purposes. I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to do so all the time :XD:
Ah :P
A lot of people just goof about the forums, so don't take them too seriously :D
Haha okay :D
:iconfrekkle:
Frekkle Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Submit your art to a lot of groups usually seems to do the trick. Also, try to get out there and critique other people's stuff or comment on anything you favorite. Some people like to return the favor! :)
:iconthanksplz:

That's wonderful advice :D
:iconfieldweeble:
Fieldweeble Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Digital Artist
Yeah, nothing is wrong with you. I think it's better to have views / comments / favorites from people that are actually interested in your art. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you do some especially compelling stuff that you're super proud of, the thumbshare forum seems pretty good for sharing. Also just being a general forum mongler seems to help :P
Thank you very much :D
Add a Comment: