Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Any tips on using different types of Pencils?

:iconinguyen95:
iNguyen95 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I recently got a pencil set consisting of 2B, 3B, 4B, and 6B pencils. I've never actually gotten around or understood how and when to use each type and was hoping to see if any of you guys could help me out or give tips on how i should use them. Thanks guys and have a Merry Christmas! :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondoomberry83:
DoomBerry83 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Yeah, I have a bunch of different shading pencils as well that I got for a gift. I only ever use a 4H to sketch out something first, then trace it with a HB. I don't always do this, however, especially if I feel the 4H came out dark enough. I am in no way an expert on these matters, this is just what works for me.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
They're basically meant for shading. With a range of different pencils, you can shade all the way from very light grey to very dark black. Your gallery looks like it's all lineart, and having different pencil hardnessess doesn't do you much good for lineart. But now's a good time to give shading a try, since you have the supplies!

I would note that you have all dark, soft pencils, and no light hard pencils like a 2H. I personally don't like 2H at all, but it may be hard to shade very light areas without them.
:iconinguyen95:
iNguyen95 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely give it a whirl. ;P
Add a Comment: