Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 25, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Does Anyone Out There Ever Feel Trapped While They Draw?

:iconmisschibichild:
MissChibiChild Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
For me, when I draw, it's a time for me to think. But so much has been happening in my life that when I draw, the bad things keep dogging me. I think about my mistakes and what spawned from them. Regret. Drawing is how I stay happy. I feel happy when I see the finished product, but while I'm making it, I just. . It makes me want to rush through everything so I can stop thinking. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever experienced this? How did you get through it? I almost don't want to spend more than ten minutes at a time drawing anymore. . . Please help.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I can't say I have this problem, whenever I'm working on something I can't get my mind off it, I'm constantly thinking on composition, lighting, shadows, shape, volume etc...etc...

in fact, drawing for me it's a way to escape from real life, because I get sucked into my painting, :icontearplz:
:iconladyfern:
ladyfern Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I have this problem too and I can definitely tell when the thoughts start creeping in. My art really tenses up. I wish I could just turn my stupid brain off!

I usually have some kind of music on and it's been helping. At first, I only listened to classical music so I wouldn't focus on the words but it was too easy to tune out. Now I have a mixture of music constantly playing - rock, jazz, soundtracks, anything and everything I can get my hands on. I've noticed that headphones work better than a stereo. Headphones get the music right in my head and sometimes, if the thoughts won't quit, I turn the music up until I can feel it.

I also take a break as soon as I feel tense or rushed and work on something loose, like doodling. I've also noticed that sometimes, when I'm working and my brain wanders, I need a harder subject, something that makes me constantly check the reference picture and I literally have to talk to myself, asking, "Is this shape right? More curve? More shading? More texture? Less highlight?" That gets my brain working on something other than the crud of life or whatever.

Hope that helps some. Keep your art as your safe haven and defend it with all that you've got. It's very precious.
:iconclaralieu:
claralieu Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
There's a saying from writer Dorothy Parker: “I hate writing, I love having written.” I feel the same way about drawing sometimes. You might be interested in this journal entry I wrote which offers tips for artists: [link]
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Try this:
[link]
:iconnoctudelic:
Noctudelic Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student General Artist
Just talk to friends when you're drawing :) Use skype, teamspeak or just the phone. Or you could sit next to your family members.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012   Digital Artist
Can't say I have, I love drawing. :P umm, maybe try to think about the drawing rather than other things?
Add a Comment: