Closed to new replies
December 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 99

asbergers artists

:iconkingofsouls:
Kingofsouls Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
My greatest badge of honor in life is my Aspergers Syndrome. At first, i thought that because of it, I was "that one kid who's different" growing up in my small K-8 school. But looking back I realize that my Aspergers was both greatest strength and greatest flaw.

Anyone here on DA have Aspergers? How do you see your art fellow Aspies?

For me, I view the character in my art not as lines nor characters but as people in their own worlds. I simply tell their stories (although it's a lot of fun making them!!!)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarwalmilk:
Narwalmilk Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
I see my characters in exactly the same way. :nod:
I just have so many stories for them that I think about a lot, but barely ever write down or draw out because I just can't find the words, or there's too much to illustrate... They're like people in their own worlds, sort of.
& I've never been formally diagnosed because I get too nervous at the doctors to properly talk about anything but I'm about 90% sure I have Aspergers. I don't really know, but I fulfill the DSM IVTR requirements for a diagnosis, anyway.
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
Holy crud I have the same problems when it comes to my characters, really. :grump:
Narwalmilk Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
It's so annoying isn't it?
You think of all these amazing stories but then when you go to put it down it's just a bit overwhelming... I mean, how can they live up to your minds expectations, really?
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student General Artist
Yep it is!

And I really can't comprehend how some people are able to work on one story at a time so well! :crying:
Narwalmilk Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
I know! I'd just get so confused and start adding in random details from the other stories, hehe.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
Lol. Agreed.
:iconbarnowlgurl23:
barnowlgurl23 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a little bit of asbergers myself and it doesn't really effect me
:icondabrandonsphere:
DaBrandonSphere Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have Asperger's too, which explains the obsessive tendencies reflected in my artwork.
:iconcapturedjoe:
CapturedJoe Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Ha, one could say that about me as well.
:iconeev11:
eev11 Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I don't have aspergers but I am "intellectually gifted", this for me brought more problems than advantages, I have been bullied and because of that I changed schools constantly causing me to not have any friends.. I think drawing in class might've been a way of avoiding communicating with other students, since I always had my schoolwork and tests finished first in class I needed something else to spend my time and that was drawing.

Now I am so glad that I don't have to attend school any more and since a few years I have become a bit more serious about making art.. :)
:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I had this same problem.
eev11 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Well at least we got something out if it right? :)

More life experience and a passion!
And learning how to ignore people.
eev11 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I still don't got that one down.. :P
It takes a little time to master that one.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
I have Aspergers but I don't see why it would mean anything, I don't really consider myself an artist. :shrug:
I barely even recognize myself as an autistic anymore. It just doesn't cross my mind, I feel like I'm just some weird girl.
:iconthestudierofthearts:
Thestudierofthearts Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
[link] here group for people on the spectrum.
Kingofsouls Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Thanks!
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012   Digital Artist
I'm on the spectrum but I can't say that I see what is it that makes people take pride in it. People seem to have a tendency to take pride in a lot of things that seems to separate themselves from others anyway. I guess that's just a weird facet of human nature.

Right now with my art, I seem to look at it as something to show my understanding. I seem to be the sort of person who is not so concerned with finding my own style but focusing on techniques and such to better get what I want. I seem to create my own style(s) doing so anyways.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well said :thumbsup:
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
there's no such thing as asperger's.

[link]
:iconhazeldazel:
hazeldazel Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh, that's right. My sister told us about it a few weeks ago.
Kingofsouls Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
No, I'm pretty sure I have Asperger's Syndrome. Had it my entire life.
that isn't a real syndrome. it doesn't exist.

google it.
I know what you are trying to do and I refuse to feed the trolls. Go somewhere else.
mental health professionals agree that it doesn't exist. you are not a valiant aspergers knight, you are a confused little person vainly attempting to finding meaning in nothing.
I asked you once. Go away.
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
why don't you just stop replying to me?
Becuase I can.
(1 Reply)
:iconcapturedjoe:
CapturedJoe Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
That isn't very nice...
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
the hell does "nice" have to do with it? he's living in a fantasy world that isn't supported by reality. that's a tragedy.
Here's a challenge for ya: Live most of you life knowing you have Aspergers Syndrome. Live most of your live knowing that you are the one kid who is different than everyone else. The one kid who is looked at as the oddball, the weird kid, the kid who's special. Try living with somethign that has your brain process think "throwing a fit" is a god idea.. Then try telling me that Aspergers isn't real. Try telling me that I lived in a fantasy world, were my actions affected everyone, and was punsihed for them.

I am the one who is living in reality, not you. Leave this topic now.
(2 Replies)
Unfortunately, it's true :no: My sister told us about it when we were going on holiday.
It's just a bunch of scientists being scientists. Ignore them.
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
they're *psychologists, and the only reason you thought it existed in the first place was because of a psychologist. it astounds me that you seem to know absolutely nothing about the very thing you're totally convinced that you have.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012   Digital Artist
They are the very scientists and professionals who gave you the very label of 'Aspergers' to take pride in.
hazeldazel Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I suspected as much. That'a like saying Prunebelly Syndrome isn't real, whether it be classifyable as a Syndrome or midline defect.
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
Hello. non-Aspie artist here.

I have a friend who does have Asperger's, though. And he's also an artist.

Cool guy, but he seems to think it's limiting him way more than it actually is. (despite being slightly awkward, he is able to function in social situations, but he's convinced he is 'disabled'.)

Maybe i'm just being an insensitive prick, but he seems fine.

(also, he likes DBZ. A LOT.)
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No offense or anything, but I honestly don't see how having Asperger's significantly affects your art. Plus you shouldn't take it for granted. That never ends well.
I'm not taking for granted.
Good for you! Never take anything for granted, that's how I raised myself. ...well, technically speaking mum and dad raised me ...with help from Nanny occasionally, but that's besides the point.
*thumbs up*
hazeldazel Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:l
:iconribbedebie:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Student General Artist
I have Aspergers too, but I don't go around making a big deal out of it or blaming my (dis)abilities on it.
Neither do I, but I do view it as the reason why I look at things a bit differently.
:iconunpredictabloo:
Unpredictabloo Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Doesn't everyone look at everything differently? Nobody is the same, regardless of whether or not they have an official disorder to tag onto their differences.
I tended to go against the norm.
So did I, and I have no syndrome. I had a friend (or frienemy, whatever you may call it... someone I spent a large portion of my time around and knew well but wasn't always necessarily close to) with aspergers, as well as other friends with various mental, emotional, and physical disorders, all very, very different people with similar aspirations and interests. After spending a few years with them and with other 'normal' people who had just as many problems and aspirations in their lives I've come to realise that everybody, no matter what they were born with or weren't born with, views the world differently and can be just as creative as anyone else, given the chance. If you didn't have aspergers, you would not be defaulted to an average way of thinking.
It's a bit different when you're the one who has it, but you do make a good point.
How is it different, then? Yes, aspies tend to have great trouble in social situations -- I've read a couple books on it, and it's rather interesting. But in my opinion it's not the brain you're born with or the troubles you come across in life, but what you do with yourself to overcome those obstacles that counts. Everyone has troubles to overcome. I also believe that everyone is gifted to do something with their life: some people are born for the creative arts, some are brilliant at math, some are just happy to live a simple life of sweeping floors. It's not the aspergers that you have to be proud of, but whatever gifts of yours you discover along the way, and how you work to perfect them.
Add a Comment: