Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 54

Overrated artists

:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
I have to admit that, while I love Vincent Van Gogh, I think his art is overrated. I was never a fan of Picasso's work, and Dave Stevens created some pretty pictures, but with questionable/boring subject matter. And while we're on comic book artwork, I'd love to say that Mike Mignola's style grows tiring, quickly. What artists do you think are overrated?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpianocanival:
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
Damien Hirst for the win of overrated art. As I admit he can provoke a lot of negative emotions (in my subjective point of view) in such a strong way, I can't understand why would anyone (except for a snob) would buy any of his works or why he should deserve as much attention as he has. I simply can't understand it.

However, I disagree on Van Gogh, His paintings are awesome, simply put. However, I could not care less about his life. IMHO.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
Van Gogh was a very influential painter, that is why he's famous. You can be a good painter and never become famous because plainly no one likes your works. That happened to Van Gogh. So the only reason I dislike Van Gogh is people use him as an example of the average painter's salary.

Ai Weiwei I feel is an overrated artist. I like a few of his pieces, I respect him, I think he can say whatever he likes on Twitter, but people only know him outside of people who frequent art circles because he got fucking arrested. I have met so many people who asked me about him and I have to ask back can they name one piece of art work he did or describe his body of work without using the word 'controversial' because they just read that in a newspaper article.
:iconbergholtz:
Bergholtz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
I went to see one of his installations in Berlin a few years ago, it was pretty amazing. Many pieces of art can't be fully appreciated unless you see it in person.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I agree with that. And again, I like a few of his works, I'm planning to see some this summer in Toronto when one of his shows come around, but sometimes you just meet people who know utterly nothing about him other than he got arrested and champion him despite not knowing anything about his body of work.
:iconbergholtz:
Bergholtz Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
I'm sure, That sort of thing is not a problem that is confined to artists though. We got a similar thing going on here in Sweden with an artist named Lars Wilks. His artistic merits are questionable but he has become very controversial and a bit of a symbol for various groups with a far greater meaning than his actual art.
:iconnosf3:
nosf3 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
so, how much have you even seen works by Van Gogh and Picasso?
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
OH WOW LOOK AT THAT! YOU HAVE AN OPINION

GOOD THING YOU SHARED IT WITH US.
:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Ooookkaaayyyy.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you're basically just scribbling down whatever random opinion floats to the top of your head and acting like it's some sort of wise assessment of the art world. it's not - it's a bunch of trite nonsense that means nothing to anyone else besides you, just like everyone else's opinion.

you don't need to share this kind of stuff. nobody actually cares. the people replying to your thread are just repeating the same thing you did - they're not actually interested in your opinion, and you're not interested in theirs. give it up, dude.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Professional General Artist
:iconclapplz:

Man, keep up the good work.
Add a Comment: