Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 36

11 tips for visual artists, what are your tips?

:iconclaralieu:
claralieu Dec 23, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I'm an art professor, and I thought some of you might enjoy my list of "11 tips for artists." [link] What do you think? What would you add?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlarkwingstudios:
LarkwingStudios Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Have fun, and don't be afraid to try things you're uncertain about. It's like puzzles, sometimes. Always try and exhaust all of your possible solutions-- if you have an idea for something that you think might work, do it, because oftentimes it'll turn out awesome. ;3
claralieu Dec 28, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Great tip!
:icontiereight:
tierEight Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Find inspiration.
I look at art before I start.
claralieu Dec 26, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Yes, that's definitely a good place to get yourself motivated and going on a project!
:iconfearcheck:
While you draw don't look too close your work, 'cause when you'll see it from distance it will be quite awful. True story.
claralieu Dec 26, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Isn't it amazing how different things look from far away? I would emphasize the importance of looking at the work from a distance at least every 15 minutes or so.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Look your work in a mirror, it's a very efficient way to find what is wrong in the picture =)
claralieu Dec 25, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I do that all the time, especially when I'm tired of looking at the work.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:nod: Same for me, this is one of the best trick I've learnt =)
:iconredmarlin:
My tip would be this: Take no shortcuts. The reason good art takes a lot of time is because people put a lot of effort into what they do. Whenever you do something, ask yourself, "what would a good artist do?" And after you answer, ask yourself, "okay, now what would a great artist do?"
Add a Comment: