Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46

New tablet...what do now?

:icondraumstafur:
draumstafur Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Till now I've been working with a mouse and I dare say I'm efficient at it...but my lovely boyfriend got me a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet for Christmas :love:.

I am super duper excited, but also apprehensive and nervous because it's something new I need to learn how to master.

Tablet users, what have been your experiences with your tablet? Tips and tricks? Exercises to master that pesky eye-hand coordination? Stories?
Any help, please? :noes:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
ZOOM IN TO YOUR WORK.

Particularly if you are in Photoshop, zoom in until you can see some pixels so you have control. If you work with it zoomed out at 100% or 50% its like drawing 10 feet or 3 metres away from your work.
draumstafur Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i am getting addicted to zooming :lol: more control over everything. thank you! <3
:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You're welcome!
:iconminustwoseventhree:
minustwoseventhree Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
Some people say don't use the mouse, but personally I find it really hard to use a tablet for anything other than drawing.
Just warm up by doing a few loose sketches first. Doing that helps you find out whereabouts things are and gets you used to pen pressure. Afterwards, try practicing smooth lines and using different pressures.
i don't find it that hard, but it just seems off to browse stuff with anything other than a mouse...

thank you :hug:
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
well, if you are really good traditionally drawing then it's very easy to get familiar with the tablet, took me just half an hour to get familiar with mine, after that it's just practicing, getting tips and learning tablet related functions of the software you're using.

a couple of tips:
*before you actually start working on something (I mean, while you're still playing around) make sure to check the settings and tweak them until the tablet feeling matches your liking
*try messing around, ask, and read about the software you are using to learn how to use tablet functions, like changing brush types, sizes, whether it has pressure sensitivity, flow sensitivity, direction and texture.
draumstafur Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I'd say I'm pretty decent traditionally :D I can't wait to post finished stuff now, I've already started working on a couple of pieces.

Thank you, I'll do what you said ASAP :P
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
you're welcome! glad I could help :aww:
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
Have you unplugged your mouse yet? If you didn't do it. Use your tablet for everything - no more mouse ever again :)
(except if you're gaming I guess - I suppose it would be difficult to play certain games with a tablet, but I don't know)
draumstafur Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I still like my mouse and use it for browsing and the like xD I'll use the tablet just for drawing
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
There's a reason why I'm telling you this ;) you asked for advice, so there's my advice. The more you use the tablet, the faster you'll get comfortable drawing with it.
Teehee, to get good eye hand coordination, right? :giggle: Thank you :hug:
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Use it as if it is a pen.
Get to know the software you use, and master it.
Practice a lot.

It'll take some time to get the hang of it, but it'll be worthwhile :D
Adobe Photoshop is nice to work in, but it seems for line arts my tablet likes Sai more...'s steadier, I guess.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
SAI has a better stabilzer, indeed :)
:iconmythicsonofgod:
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Great advice!
:iconhiyoi:
hiyoi Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Just fool around a experiment!
It looks like you've pretty much already got the hang of it, so just keep going! Onward!
ONWARDDDDD!
:iconqmdqwd:
qmdqwd Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Best advice anyone can give you is..practice! The more you play with it the better you'll become, good luck and have fun!
I'm currently derping around in the drawplz forums and on tegaki e to have some fun and practice at the same time xD
:iconqmdqwd:
qmdqwd Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
photoshop5 it’s good for us~
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
the hardest thing to learn is to look at the screen and not at your hand (since there's nothing there). It a learning curve, but I was able to pick it up in a couple weeks.
I got it in the first two hours or so. It's easy once I figured it out xD I was lucky to have seen people work with tablets before in yt videos so I had an inkling of what I had to do.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
that's good
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
They're fuuuuuuuuun, aren't they? xD

As someone said, just become familiar with the programs for now. Doodle, scribble, experiment with pen pressure to find out what you can do with ease and what is more difficult. There are many little tips and tricks that will make photoshop easier, so I suggest either purchasing an official guide, or spend some time browsing through online tutorials.
Thank you <3 I'll register my product at the official site to get the official software package bundle
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Digital Artist
Tips:
If you want to draw a straight line, hold down shift and draw. I spent a year putting a ruler on my tablet before someone told me. -_-
Try using loose, fast strokes. It will look smoother.
Also, learn photoshop shortcuts for things like the eyedropper, brush size and eraser. It will make it faster to paint.
You can also draw a 45 degree line the same way :lol:

The shortcuts are my salvation xD They've been incredibly useful when working with a mouse
:iconeldingagunman:
EldingaGunman Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Lol, I spent years using microsoft paint to create straight lines, and then used screenshots to get it into photoshop xD Ah, the good old days :)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Digital Artist
hahaha! :D
:iconkingofsouls:
Kingofsouls Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Tablets are fun to me: It just feels natural and takes some time to get used to. You might need Inkscape if you hand draw the lines to make them nice and smooth.
I think that for nice and smooth lines you just need bigger zoom :lol:
:iconkingofsouls:
Kingofsouls Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
That's true, but Inkscape is still a valid option.
:iconjackeavesart:
JackEavesArt Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi! I love my wacom tablet - you will never want to go back to a mouse, trust me :)
Though it can take bit of time to get used to it, i remember taking forever - i just used my pen and sketchbook for a while instead - but it's best to just keep drawing and using it and you'll get the hang of it.

As far as setting it up and everything you need to know, check this tutorial out by deviant Fox-Orian: [link] and also this one: [link]

Goodluck :D
I've gotten accustomed to it in an hour or so, it's very fun. I'm derping around in the drawplz forum to get the hang of it

Thanks for the links :hug:
:iconjackeavesart:
JackEavesArt Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
That's good! Glad you got used to it so quickly :)
And it's no worries, he makes lots of great tutorials. :)
i should check the rest of them out, then :giggle:
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just doodle and scribble a bit for the first 2 days. Then you'll gradually get used to it. :)
It's soo fun till now, I'm like a kid with a new toy xD
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Best advice anyone can give you is..practice! The more you play with it the better you'll become, good luck and have fun!
Thank you <3 I'll certainly enjoy it
:iconartizzi:
Artizzi Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
For me it's really just practice, perseverance and practice. I think it depends on what kind of things you want to paint. What program are you planning to use to draw in?
Adobe Photoshop - i think i'll use the tablet just for line arts and sketches and very fine detail colouring, and still use my mouse for general colouring and shading.
I use CS3. All I can say really is practice. Props for mouse drawing though, I could never do that!
Like any other tool, the mouse just needs getting used to :3 It's a misunderstood unappreciated little thing
I guess so, I don't think I have the patience with it though haha! :)
Add a Comment: