Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

As my Advanced Artist...Should you know your limitations or Be limited by NOTHING?

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
How did my advanced artists get to their point in ability? I know my therapist said that I am not aware of my limitations. That was really humbling. Before she informed me I was the type that think I could do anything if I spent time doing it. Still do to a certain extent. But i think in art, me being aware of my limitations in the past few years has helped me accentuate my strengths. What do you think? When one thinks they are limited by nothing are they more ambitious? Even more, whats the point of knowing your limitations? Isn't that self-sabotaging? IDK, tell me what you think!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
You're traveling. You look on a map & you're at point A. You'd like to get to point B. I think art's a journey. I don't think it's so much about limitations as much as it's about knowing where you are. Artist's (well, except for the occasional prodigy) aren't born great. They develop. If I think my drawings suffer because my figure drawing skills are weak, I'd work on my figure drawing skills. If I'm in a rut- how do I get out of it?
My personal reality, as far as art's concerned, isn't about limitations...honestly....never thought about art in those terms...just if I'm dissatisfied with something, what can I do to make it better? I try to employ something new into my art as often as I can. It can be a tiny new something- a new brand of color pencil, try a different solvent, explore different imagery, explore the hell out of current imagery (how far can I take it?), try different mark making, go back to something that failed before but maybe I can approach it differently.
So, limitations. I'm going to say there are none. But you still have to figure out how to get from point A. to point B. If you're thinking I'll never be able to do that (oh, shit, this is going to sound like Yoda), then you're right. You never will be able to that- but it's that thought that's the limitation. If you try something once & give up. That's you're limitation.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's scientifically proven that people that think they're able to overcome limitations (whatever they might be at that point) are more often improving themselves than people that think their current skillset is fine.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I like to be aware of my limitations. It gives me a goal to work to and past.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Everyone has limitations, and as you said yourself, you have one too. But to an extent they can be overcome. It was going all philosophical and I was really liking your text, until I saw the thumb. 
Really humbling.
But keep behaving and you might as well be the salmon that makes it. :pat:

Show ImagesI almost care by `phoenixleo
lol....you got jokes.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Just keep swimming! \o\    

:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Please do not feed the the troll who believes he is past the Sturgeon's Law.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012   Digital Artist
Why are you asking, neither of these things applies to you.
You neither know what what your limits are, nor do you create in a fashion that is unbound by limitations.
why am i asking?

so i won't end up painting shit like this...

and honestly i know exactly what my limitations are and i work to improve. We ALL have limitations. So you are right I am bound by my limitations. If i wasn't i would be God. I never say i am perfect. I am just critical. Theres a difference...

nuff said.
:iconodomi2:
Odomi2 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Could you please stop messing with other peopleīs work?
Itīs annoying, childlish and pointless...
Add a Comment: