Closed to new replies
December 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

From manga to cartoon?

:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, I guess this might be counting as another 'style' thread, IDK, I know what my natural style is, and frankly, I hate it, I wish I could change it easily.

I'm one of those artists who like(d) to draw manga/anime characters, yaddayadda, but now I'm branching off of that, I've been continuing to learn and practice realistic anatomy(all traditional, none shown in my gallery... in fact, I have nothing new in my gallery really), which in all honesty is not helping me get out of my stupid natural style, which is all realistically proportioned, yet still managing to look manga(the faces mainly).

I want to be able to draw in a more stylised cartoon, possibly Disney way, maybe still looking somewhat realistic and whatnot, but I love styles like this: [link]
[link]
and this: [link]

(yes, both are from Tangled)

I just don't know how to break away from realistic manga sort of look. :stare: It's not very attractive, my art. Any tips possibly on how to be able to break away from what I've "learned" from anime/manga, so I can slowly pull myself into Disney-esque/"mature" cartoon style?

I know I need to keep studying realism(have only worked really on tackling the male body structure, not seriously worked on studying the female body structure yet), but I can't seem to shake out of that terrible manga habit!! :iconeewplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconknoire:
Knoire Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had the same problem. I spent the last 3 years of my life only drawing anime and refusing to try out any other art style. I would recommend trying other styles, not necessarily to completely adopt that style, but to get a feel for something unfamiliar. What I do to discover a personal art style is to choose your favorite artists and take a little piece of their style, and make all those pieces into your own style. For example, I like this artist's coloring technique, and that artist's way of drawing eyes, and I simply take what I like from different styles to create my own.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Aye, that's a good idea. One, I actually hear people do quite often, actually. =3

I'm actually going in the direction I want to with my art I think, but I'm going to keep practicing. I'm sure it will take me quite some time to find 'the style' though.
:iconmemyone:
memyone Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
There are artists like :iconphobs: and :iconyuralock: who have really good styles that you might like. I say keep practicing and keep studying the Disney style.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks! I'll check them out later!
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Digital Artist
Itīs all cartoon styles. Not even that, just a very limited sampling of cartoon styles. Don't worry about it. Do what you want, there is no right or wrong way as long as it looks good. It's always important to keep studying the fundamentals I think.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm just working on getting looser, fluid poses, more movement to them, working to have less trouble drawing full body people moving(thanks posemaniac random pose generator for practice!) and sketching here and there in a different sort of style. I'll get there eventually. *phew*
:iconbrownez-koekoez:
Brownez-Koekoez Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I guess I'm on the same stage too >3< At least I want to have a more fluid one.
Agred!
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
LOL I don't do manga. ^^; (I can't draw those huge eyes o_o)
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Y'know... I'm starting to even wonder the majour differences between manga and cartoon(I know there are, it's just hard to stick a finger on it..)
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Filmographer
If you really want to branch out into cartoon drawing, I'd suggest using this cartoon drawing course: [link]. It's completely free and you'll learn a lot about the key parts to cartoon drawing (solid construction, line of action, silhouettes, etc.) If you can learn how to draw cartoons the traditional way you'll be able to branch out into other sorts of cartoon styles.

It would also help if you do some studies of other cartoonists to understand the mechanics behind their drawings.
Here's a list of cartoonists and illustrators you'd benefit from studying:

Fred Moore, Carl Barks, Grim Natwick, Howie Post, Dan Gordon, Floyd Gottfredson, Bill Tytla, Harvey Kurtzman, Milt Stein, Owen Fitzgerald, Walt Kelly, Chuck Jones, Hank Ketcham, Ub Iwerks, Ward Kimball, Albert Hurter, Dick Briefer, Gustaf Tenggren, TS Sullivant, Erich Sokol, Kay Nielsen, Katie Rice, Marc Davis, and Dan Gormley.
Thanks!
Here's my first attempt at doing a more cartoon style rather than an anime style:

I just finished it, did it pretty quickly, but I figured I should do some digital practice... so here he is. =/

Not please yet, but I'm still practicing/experiment/working. (and I don't expect it to get to where I want it overnight. xD)
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012   Digital Artist
I was kind of the same as you. I used to draw manga only, but then developed my own style which is kind of disneyish. The disneyism wasn't intentional, I just have a lot of Disney picture books around and would look at them to see how they drew eyes and mouths etc. The way I did it was just practicing realism from photos, but I guess you could try copying Disney and seeing If that helps you break out of the anime shovel-face.
Yeah, my stupid styyle is like, realistic and manga combined, but not in a pretty way.

Actually, what I've been doing for a couple hours or so now is just spending time on posemaniacs and drawing the poses off the random pose generator(in the realistic way they're shown on the site), and it's a load of fun! Helpful too, to first get my drawing style loosened up, but still practicing realistically drawn humans. When I decide I've had enough of this, I'm going to try to draw some of the other poses in the sort of 'disney' way. Your style's nice, BTW! =)

So far I have 3 9"x13" front and back pieces of paper covered in posemaniac poses. xD Really helpful studies. Loosening up is probably my biggest problem.(That and drawing women that look like women).

But it'll definitely take a lot to morph my style into what I want, and it's definitely hard to get from manga to cartoon. =/

I mean, there's nothing wrong with manga, it's just that I don't want to be 'just another crappy manga/anime artist' on deviantart. xD
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012   Digital Artist
Cheers. :aww:

Yep, I reckon you've got the right idea with practicing. :D So just carry on like that.
:icongoodjob-plz:
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student General Artist
Hmm... that's a great question.

What I did was mimic other styles, or at least look at other cartoon styles, try to see what they exaggerate, and apply it to my style if it's something I like. =P
That's a good idea!!

Right now I'm just filling up the fronts and backs of pages with posemaniac poses. X,X So much practice, so much fun! (Seriously, I'm having a blast drawing these realistic poses)

Plus, this is really helping me learn how to draw quick, loose, good looking(more or less) poses!
After this I'll spend some time browsing dA and look at people's art, find what I like, and try to apply it and see if it's what I want!

My goal: Loose cartoons, possibly realistically proportioned, and NOT anime/manga!
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
Lol... that's great! Although I don't use posemaniacs because I find the poses boring... I think my anatomy kinda caught on after a while. I just use references now. Sometimes if I can't think of a pose, I pose myself, or I just... guess. :XD:

True, true. We all learn differently. :nod:

I have someone you'd might want to look at. Their style inspired me a bit, lol: [link] [link]

I'm a sucker for quirky, dynamic cartoon styles. :XD: I want mine to look like that.
Aye, it's just something to practice. xD

That style's not too bad, but this is actually what I'm more going for(this artist's style is just asdafdhjkf <3<3) :[link]
Oh that style is just wow. D: I'm jelly.
I know, right? Their art made me almost cry from the sheer beauty of it. T,T
DX

I wish I could steal styles. :I
xD I wish I could just have a style I liked
(1 Reply)
:iconpeytonjune:
PeytonJune Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
That's great that you are studying realism, and want to brach out and break the manga curse! XD

If you want to develop a Disney-ish style, focus on exaggerating features, in an attractive, or cute way.

I don't suggest directly copying anything, but studying WHAT is exaggerated, and what isn't in the styles you admire can help.

(I mainly draw in a semi-cartoonish style as well)
That manga curse is painful. T,T

I found that the Disney artist whose style I really like is Glen Keane. For me, I think the best way to learn how to draw that sort of style(not directly since it's still not 100% what I want for my book characters), is to copy his drawings(not trace, but look at his drawings and redraw them) so that way I can break them down, see how they work, and build them back up. Then I can gradually try to change it I think to how I want it to look. :iconkillitwithfireplz::iconmangaplz:
I guess the title's somewhat misleading now that I see it again...

I meant you know... japanese cartoon to western/american cartoon. or...something. xD
Add a Comment: