Closed to new replies
December 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

From manga to cartoon?

:iconfluffpuffgerbil:
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So, I guess this might be counting as another 'style' thread, IDK, I know what my natural style is, and frankly, I hate it, I wish I could change it easily.

I'm one of those artists who like(d) to draw manga/anime characters, yaddayadda, but now I'm branching off of that, I've been continuing to learn and practice realistic anatomy(all traditional, none shown in my gallery... in fact, I have nothing new in my gallery really), which in all honesty is not helping me get out of my stupid natural style, which is all realistically proportioned, yet still managing to look manga(the faces mainly).

I want to be able to draw in a more stylised cartoon, possibly Disney way, maybe still looking somewhat realistic and whatnot, but I love styles like this: [link]
[link]
and this: [link]

(yes, both are from Tangled)

I just don't know how to break away from realistic manga sort of look. :stare: It's not very attractive, my art. Any tips possibly on how to be able to break away from what I've "learned" from anime/manga, so I can slowly pull myself into Disney-esque/"mature" cartoon style?

I know I need to keep studying realism(have only worked really on tackling the male body structure, not seriously worked on studying the female body structure yet), but I can't seem to shake out of that terrible manga habit!! :iconeewplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconknoire:
knoire Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I had the same problem. I spent the last 3 years of my life only drawing anime and refusing to try out any other art style. I would recommend trying other styles, not necessarily to completely adopt that style, but to get a feel for something unfamiliar. What I do to discover a personal art style is to choose your favorite artists and take a little piece of their style, and make all those pieces into your own style. For example, I like this artist's coloring technique, and that artist's way of drawing eyes, and I simply take what I like from different styles to create my own.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Aye, that's a good idea. One, I actually hear people do quite often, actually. =3

I'm actually going in the direction I want to with my art I think, but I'm going to keep practicing. I'm sure it will take me quite some time to find 'the style' though.
:iconmemyone:
memyone Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
There are artists like :iconphobs: and :iconyuralock: who have really good styles that you might like. I say keep practicing and keep studying the Disney style.
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks! I'll check them out later!
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Itīs all cartoon styles. Not even that, just a very limited sampling of cartoon styles. Don't worry about it. Do what you want, there is no right or wrong way as long as it looks good. It's always important to keep studying the fundamentals I think.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm just working on getting looser, fluid poses, more movement to them, working to have less trouble drawing full body people moving(thanks posemaniac random pose generator for practice!) and sketching here and there in a different sort of style. I'll get there eventually. *phew*
:iconbrownez-koekoez:
Brownez-Koekoez Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I guess I'm on the same stage too >3< At least I want to have a more fluid one.
Agred!
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
LOL I don't do manga. ^^; (I can't draw those huge eyes o_o)
fluffpuffgerbil Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Y'know... I'm starting to even wonder the majour differences between manga and cartoon(I know there are, it's just hard to stick a finger on it..)
Add a Comment: