Closed to new replies
December 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

How do you know? (commissions)

:iconariesmouse410:
AriesMouse410 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
How do you know when you're ready to really take on commissions? To really work at getting clients, and to advertise your art to actually try to make money off it?

I've been thinking about this a while. I'd like to do commissions, but I don't believe my art is up to par, when paired against all the amazing/better artists out there. I'm sure a lot of it comes down to personal opinion. I've seen a lot of people with commissions open that I, personally, would never buy from(personal taste and opinion, blahblah).

Is there ever really a way to tell? Is it worth it to just take the chance, and see what happens?

And beyond that, how should a person even begin figuring out where to place prices. Again, it's hard to charge say, $10 for something, when you know someone could get something better from someone else for the same price. Perhaps I'm being too critical about it.

For those that do have commissions open, and actually get clients regularly, what made you decide it was the right time to start doing them when you first started? How did you go about the process?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconodomi2:
Odomi2 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
There´s only one way to know...
Maybe you are not ready to work professionally yet, but you never know what people want. There might be a lot of people interested in a commission from you. Letting them know that you do them makes it easier for them to ask.
AriesMouse410 Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
True. I think I'm going to finally throw my hat into the commission ring.
:iconfieryennigma:
FieryEnnigma Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm at this point myself. I'd say go for it and just start advertising. Sadly though, I can't help with prices. I'm trying to find a good place to ask people what they think would be reasonable actually. Best way to find out is from possible future customers.
AriesMouse410 Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I figured for prices I'd start lowish, and see how that goes, or just discuss it with people, staying with in a certain range, since some art requires more than others. Two different people could ask for a lineart commission, but one could be far more complexe than another.
:iconfieryennigma:
FieryEnnigma Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Makes sense. It's just where to start that's trouble, cuz you don't wanna end up selling yourself short or anything.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
You're going about it the wrong way.

You are ready to take commissions when you start getting them. Put out adds. Respond to adds. Try to get work.

If you can get it, then you are good enough.
AriesMouse410 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
I like that line of thinking, but I lack the confidence to follow through with it.

Thank you though. I might try this, and see what happens. All else fails, nothing happens, and I just end up with free time. Oh shucky-darn.

I think I get too caught up in details. I just figured things would be more organized and professional. I need to remember this is art, which is usually relaxed and sort of free living, in a way. <rambles>

Thank you very much for the reply. :D <3
:iconmagicsteve314:
Magicsteve314 Featured By Owner Dec 15, 2012
I've been thinking about this for quite a while now, not about art specifically, but the same principals still apply. You don't have to be the best artist to get commissions. As with any type of online business(using that term loosely), you have to get your product out to as many places as possible. Facebook, twitter, your livestreams and Youtube are all good places to start. Put your DA account in your pics and do your best to make sure all those different accounts have the same name, unified "Branding" is very important. You need to find a customer base and make sure your art is easy to find. Your work has improved dramatically since I've known you, we both know it isn't perfect, but it is easily good enough to warrant some commissions, you just need to get yourself out there in as many places as possible.
AriesMouse410 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Thank you so much. This is an interesting, and insanely helpful take on it. You're right, it is about getting out there and finding customers. I think I'm just too self-conscious to take that step. I've done some things, FB page, DA account, unified name on them both.

I might give it a try, get a twitter(donotwant), update and tweak my tumblr.
:iconmagicsteve314:
Magicsteve314 Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
I would highly recommend Twitter, it has become a great way to get news, and a really convenient way for people to talk to each other, and if you have those live stream videos saved someplace, posting them to Youtube could be both a good way to get your stuff out there, and maybe even a source of ad revenue if you can qualify to be a Youtube partner. Same can be done with live streams, but I'm not very familiar with how that works.
Add a Comment: