December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Uploading copy-drawings ?

:iconooninayumeoo:
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As i explain on my journal : [link]

i am wondering wether to upload some of my drawings, made by copying others drawings . I KNOW it is some kind of use of others work. I just love them and want to show them.

What do you think i should do ? Is it bad to upload them ?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
If you have copied a fairly famous piece of art, no problem, fairly common practice, just list the original you copied. This place is pretty thick with "girl with pearl earring" and a bajillion things that are inspired by "starry night"

If it is a modern artist, who is not museum quality work, say your favorite anime/manga artist, then you should probably have the artists permission, and should at least have a link to the original in your description.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thanks for the advice!!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
It's perfectly OK to do that for practice, but they don't belong in your gallery. It violates copyright and the terms of service, both of which can get your reported (and if you do it enough banned).

If you really, really feel the need to put them up, they belong in your scraps and you need to credit the original artists. 'I don't know who they are' is not an excuse.
all right ^^ thanks for advices
:iconorangeboombox:
orangeboombox Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
If you have trouble finding the original artist to credit or ask them for permission to post your copy, there is a way to 'photo search' on Google, and it's called the 'reverse image search'. You can upload the original image (or even your copied one, because I'm sure they look alike if they are indeed copied like you say) or paste the URL of the image. This will show you the locations of said photo online.
wow ^^ thanks for the help :D
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Digital Artist
A lot of artists won't like you to do that. Some are okay with it. I think it would seem pretty disrespectful to upload them expecially if you don't have the names.

This sort of thing is good for your own practice, but not so good to post. Try out the techniques you learned from copying by testing them out referencing a stock photo and then you can upload that. :D
yep thanks
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional General Artist
If you ever want to post studies and copies it is imperative you remember the original artist, either note it in the file name, or on paper or otherwise. It is just plain rude and disrespectful that you liked someones image enough to copy it to learn from it, but you didn't give enough of a hoot about the artist to remember their name.

Things like copies are the kind of thing that perhaps goes in an art blog where you're sharing sketches and WIPs, so long as proper credit is given and you make it very clear you were copying for learning purposes.

However if you were copying from stock photography, for example, which is a resource which is shared with the community on the payment of linking back, this CAN be posted as an art piece because the copyright holder gives you permission by making their work a resource. (so long as you obey their rules)
yeah i understand that it is too complicated to post them
but about "you didn't give enough of a hoot about the artist to remember their name. " ..... i think you are over reacting...

when i made most of this drawings, deviant art was just a source of wonderful drawings and as i liked to draw i just took some to practice...

BUT I UNDERSTANd now that i must not upload them ...
Add a Comment: