December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

Helping oil paint dry

:icontrollgirl:
TrollGirl Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Hey guys,
Would it be ok to put a painting with a thin layer of oil paint to dry in front of a fan?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongenny-raskin:
Genny-Raskin Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Good question, and good answers. :)
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Galkyd or Liquin Original will help your paints dry to the touch more quickly, but oils don't dry through normal evaporation, so remember that putting one in front of a fan won't help much ;)
:iconolvium:
Olvium Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012   Traditional Artist
I am as well suggest you to use Liquine medium as many wrote. You have liquine original or liquine details by W&N, they both are great. I use liquine original, it has yellow-brown color (has no effect on the oil tones) and a jelly structure and it is very nice and easy to use.

When you paint you have to mix 1/3 or 1/4 of liquine on 2/3 or 3/4 of oil paint on your palette. When I use it, almost all of the oil is dry after 3-4 days - which is nice.

But remember that all the advantage of oils is what they do not dry fast, therefore the painting results are of better quality because you can mix the paints right on the canvas.
:iconjoeyv7:
joeyv7 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I've used Liquin and a fan to speed drying. The fan helped . . . a bit :shrug: As far as mediums go, I'd be inclined to try the Japan dryer mentioned below. Liquin was nice but kinda *meh* on drying quickly.
:iconrachaelm5:
rachaelm5 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
All I can say is that it is this very problem which chased me away from oil paints when I was in college. "I want to take it home to show my mommy TODAY, Professor!" Yeah, that doesn't work. Hence the colored pencils. I'm very impressed with other folks' suggestions, though, and I'm glad you have so many skilled artists who can offer good advice!
TrollGirl Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Incidentally i'm painting something for my mommy who's awesome and deserves some classically done art. Alas, i'm an impatient bastard...
Genny-Raskin Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
But the patience will eventually totally worth the effort. ;)
Is that a birthday present?
TrollGirl Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
The whole "delayed gratification" idea is intolerably christian.
Yep, it is.
Genny-Raskin Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Why do you give the credit to Christianity only? What about Buddhism as a religion? Or about few philosophies of martial arts? Like Thai Chi, and practices such as yoga, meditation... And so on and so forth...

Cool. :)
TrollGirl Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Because the christianity has perfected the idea of suffering needlessly before getting something you want and could get much earlier.
Add a Comment: