Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Can anyone show me some basic guidelines for what should be in a Comicker's portfolio?

:iconangelicdirt:
AngelicDirt Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Whether or not it needs still-life/life drawing? How many pages of layout? How many pages of character design? Whether or not you should mix a lettering portfolio with an inking portfolio...

Things like that.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjustsomedude86:
justsomedude86 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
Echoing what weremole said, if you want a comic portfolio you have to be placing actual comics into your piece. If you're looking to do covers, you need to be putting in covers. If you're doing sequential pages, you need to be putting in sequential pages. One or two pages of character design/painting/figure drawing is good and fine and all, but do not load up your portfolio with 20 pages of pin up art if you're trying to apply to do sequential pages. Most portfolios you should aim for 15-20 spreads of your best work and ONLY put in your best work. Your portfolio is judged on your worse piece, not how many pages you can put in it.

Normally for comics, I would put in 3 short stories (3-6 pages give or take) with different types of storytelling. This doesn't mean three fight scenes or three "I'm staring at you for 5 pages and then kiss you during the last panel" stories either, show that you're comfortable telling a story.

And for your lettering/inking portfolio...use your best judgement on that. I would say make two different portfolios geared for lettering and inking, where you can reuse a lot of spreads for each portfolio.
AngelicDirt Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
This is exactly what I was looking for. (You wouldn't believe how general and round-about some sites are on all this... @_@)

Thank you very much. :3
:iconjustsomedude86:
justsomedude86 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yeah that took me a long time to learn too about making a comic portfolio for the same reason as you said, because nobody ever posts anything online what to include!

If you need more help or to help decide what to place in a portfolio, send me a message and maybe we can work through that, I'm curious to see some of your comic work :)
AngelicDirt Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks again. I'll keep in touch. ^^;
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Comics, comics, comics and comics. Anyone interested want to see your storytelling chops since that is what the actual work is about. A combined lettering and inking portfolio with different folders could work.
AngelicDirt Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Okay, I see. Thank you. :3
Add a Comment: