Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 120

What's the deal with My pony, chibi art and Anime???

:iconsparatik:
SPARATIK Dec 10, 2012   Digital Artist
I'm just wondering... what's up with that? What is it exactly that makes it cool? I can't put my finger around it. For me, growing up, we had ninja turtle... power rangers, ren and stimpy. Then later Pokemon came along... now my pony. I just don't get what's cool about it. Someone let me know what i'm missing out on please.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I guess it has to do with childhood memory's.
I used to watch a lot of anime as a child, made manga style drawings with friends, and traded pokemon with almost the whole neighborhood.
Although that time is long gone already, I still have warm memory's from that time, and I can't come to hate that anime style -- even though I realize a lot of it is badly drawn.

As for the pony's... I never understood quite understood that. I hated them already as a child XD
:iconalicexofxdarkland:
AliceXofXdarkland Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i don't get it either, but people are strange and do strange things. but at least these fandom trends aren't hurting anyone even if i do kind of wish it would go away. :P
:iconzakaz92:
zakaz92 Dec 19, 2012   General Artist
Ya know Rick I think i understand what your asking or rather understand why your asking it because I have the same feelings about that cartoon "the Regular show" my nephews love it me I also grew up on TMNT Power rangers Ren and Stimpy I think the best way I found to answer these types of questions myself was simply that its something you relate to. Like for example I LOVE FIGHTING I mean Adore it and if i never had a passion for art trust me id be in the MMA lol or Boxing so power rangers and TMNT was badass to be because I felt i could relate to it and on the other hand I love Comedy which Ren And Stimpy did for me shit was boss lol, so i guess in little kids eyes tho i really only know girls that love MLP so i guess they love its "cuteness" or whatever idk Now anime that i love too certain ones tho like DBZ, Neon Genisis, Cowboy bebop, Fists of the North star merely due to the amount of ass kicking and the art styles are impressive to me so thats my take on it. As for Chibi art........ Meh idk I see it as baby form art like them making everyone a baby maybe i miss the concept of it but some can make cool chibi art idk great topic tho.

Ps . ITS MORPHING TIME!!! hands down most single badass quote of all time lol
SPARATIK Dec 22, 2012   Digital Artist
lol i just never liked cute when i was a kid. that was usually left for the girls.
:iconzakaz92:
zakaz92 Dec 24, 2012   General Artist
trust me Man i know what you mean lol
SPARATIK Dec 19, 2012   Digital Artist
this thread was not meant to be offensive by the way. i just have a hard time understanding the cool factor in all these new things. im not saying my little pony is stupid or anything. i just don't get it. i might of arrived at this as i was looking up some of the top art on this site. i've found some amazing artwork and amazing artists with almost no recognition. then i see, in my very honest opinion, some horrible mlp art with amazing hits. this doesn't really worry me because i know what employers hiring artists look for... but i just don't get it. lol
:iconsonrie-mucho:
Sonrie-mucho Dec 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I used to watch shows like Johnny Bravo, Ren and Stimpy, and Spongebob becausimagery make me laugh; MLP just isn't my cup of tea, which is fine.
:iconsonrie-mucho:
Sonrie-mucho Dec 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Typo *because they
:iconpemamendez:
PemaMendez Dec 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Americans (well, most people around the world, but mainly Americans [perhaps because of the media]) tend to ridicule stuff to make it "laugh subject" of everyone, therefore, stuff becomes trendy, loved and "cool".

examples: Justin Bieber, Gangnam Style, "One does not simply..."

ridiculing Bieber just made his fans stronger and more numerous, Gangnam Style became worldwide and most watched YT video, and I don't think Psy was aiming for that much exposure (Ive been k-pop fan for over 3 years and never heard a Psy song before Gangnam style, just saying), and "one does not simply..."? now I can't watch LOTR without laughing in that scene :D

but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong

having said that, I don't understand "my little pony"'s fame either, maybe we missed something[?], some mayor revolution that ocurred in the internet that brought "My Little Pony" to fame (maybe in 9gag, or reddit?, idk & idc)

Chibis? well, we owe that to Japanese designers and mangakas, they turned their characters into "childy, petite, chubby and cute" in order to reach a certain group of people (girls[?] kids [?]) and sell more :D.

and Anime. well, anime has been a trend since a long time ago, mostly because there were some good ones that brought people to love Japanese animation (ex: Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon etc...)
:iconalicewonder32:
I grew up in the 80s. My little pony was around then, as was Care Bears and other feel good shows. I think what is happening, at least with some adult artists who draw them in adult contexts, is they are using artistic freedom to express the hybridizing of their childhood innocence with natural hormone driven sexual urges, using them as an art form to express the changes from child to adult.

I personally am not a fan of that kind of Manga / Hentai. I like to leave my innocent childhood in my past. But I also like to allow others to have artistic freedom to express things the way they want to, the way they enjoy, even if it isn't my cup of tea.
Add a Comment: