Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Drawing hair random enough

:iconintel-4004:
intel-4004 Dec 9, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I'm having a problem about drawing manga hair. Every time I try to draw hair, it will never be natural. The hairs are in like a pattern...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
try doing a bunch of quick practice sketches of heads and hair, in different styles and blowing in different directions. sketches allow you to relax more and not overthink the placement of every strand of hair. if you overthink and draw hair too slowly, it might come out in a way that looks to stiff and controlled.

sometimes you have to draw a strand or section of hair that's flying in a different direction than the rest of the hair, or sticking out from the head more. if you do that right, the hair looks less stiff.

another thing you might want to try with some hairstyles is having some bigger/thicker sections of hair, together with some thin pieces of hair that float upward more.

always consider the weight of the hair, (long hair being more weighty than short hair) and also how loosely or stiff/tight it is styled. (that affects how much the wind/gravity affects it)

one last tip: be careful not to unnaturally curve the hair. (if it's straight) this is hard to get right -__- but try not to curve it too much or in the wrong place because then it just looks forced and bent instead of a gentle curve. although sometimes, hair curves are exaggerated for artistic effect... (actually, so are weights of hair. sometimes long hair is drawn as if it's really lightweight)

anyway here are some good hair pics <333

intel-4004 Dec 11, 2012  Student Interface Designer
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
you're welcome ^__^
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Well... one tip to drawing hair is to draw where the hair grows.. if that makes any sense.

Maybe look up references of real people to see how you can do it.
I'll try that
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Aight. :)
:iconw1nterra1nst0rm:
w1nterra1nst0rm Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
manga is all about sharp, yet "flowy" lines

I recommend finding a simple hairstyle that you like and just keep drawing it until you like what you see, then move on to more complicated ones doing the same thing

hope you found this helpful :)
intel-4004 Dec 9, 2012  Student Interface Designer
um...that sound a bit boring...guess I really need to force myself now
:iconw1nterra1nst0rm:
w1nterra1nst0rm Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
yeah:/ it is kinda boring...but it's so cool because when you're done it seems like all of a sudden you turned into a pro:)
ya, it happens to me when I finally knew how to draw shape in the way I want to.
Add a Comment: