Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Tutorials?

:iconxerili:
Xerili Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Hello! I'm fairly new to the community and I'm here to improve on my art :)
at the moment I'm reading (and practicing!) Vilppu :)

I'd like my end art to look like disney's style or Harry Potter's :)
Any tutorials you can recommend? (for disney faces/child proportions, etc)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

thanks everyone, especially for the links as well.
I'm sure your words will help me make good art :)
:iconrizhnir:
Rizhnir Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
As everyone else says, draw from photos and real life before stepping into the Disney style.

With that said, it's not a tutorial, but here's a link to a local DA artist who uses Disney's style, whose art is beyond amazing: [link]
:iconstormslegacy:
Stormslegacy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
I have a lot of good links to the basics in my journal: [link]
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012   Digital Artist
You start by avoiding tutorials, especially generic step by steps that will probably only teach you bad habits. Tutorials don't teach you anatomy which cartoons are ultimately based off of, or psychology that teaches you how far you can stretch and distort anatomy to have a decent looking, memorable character. Tutorials don't even teach you how to train your eye for proportions that can let you draw realistically, and IMO, probably the same eye needed to consistently draw cartoons consistently (I think)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
The thing about Disney and what not, those artists learned from the bottom up. You start out with still life. And work your way up.

Once you understand how things look, act, and translate to paper from the real world, you can take that and simplify it into cartoon style.

But if you don't have the basics, you're never actually going to be 'good'.
i understand, i've been drawing chibi desu all my life so i do have a warped sense of anatomy.

i just really don't know "how" to start, "what" to go by.. but i do know i have to start from scratch. what scratch is.. any recommendations? I'm thinking spheres and cubes etc.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Try here for some ideas: [link]
oh? that does sound like a good plan. i do know that my anatomy is bad XD I wonder though, if there's a simpler way of learning.. the one i'm reading is kinda complex >.>
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
The good books will be complex.

It will be difficult in the beggining.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Check out everything that you can get your hands on, don't just rely on one book or approach. Don't expect miracles, though, it takes a long time and a lot of practice to learn this stuff. If you could read a couple tutorials and be good, everybody in the world would be able to draw.

There's a bunch of theory to learn in cartooning. Look for books for animators, even if you're never going to do a lot of animation you will be using all the same principles, you just won't be making the character move.

"the one i'm reading is kinda complex"

Well, you have the rest of your life to figure it out and understand it.
Add a Comment: