Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

What are fair commission prices?

:iconajthepirate:
AjthePirate Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was wondering, what would fair commission prices be if I were to do anthro commissions? I would love some input from other people on what exactly they think is fair.

Examples: [link] [link] [link]

Line Art Anthro Prices:
Full colored anthro prices:

I'd love it if you could help me out. Thank you. <3

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconriptiderebel:
RiptideRebel Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
you must make them pay 10000000000000000000000000000$ lawl
AjthePirate Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay, are you going to buy the first commission from me then? (meany face Ryan :P) Xd
:iconstormslegacy:
Stormslegacy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
The way I price mine is: how long do they take me to do X what I want to make per hour. When I was just starting out I paid myself $10/hr. I promoted commissions that on average took me about 3 hours, so I charged around $30.

I found that as I got better I got faster, meaning my rate of pay naturally went up. Now on average for those same commissions I make $12-15 per hour.

If you find that you cannot sell art for under minimum wage then instead of slaving away for very low rates of pay I strongly recommend researching ways to make your art better and more appealing--there are thousands of tutorials and books on drawing available. I don't recommend looking around at similar work and charging the same because so many people undercharge and that's how you end up burning out, that and maybe you don't work at the same rate they do.
AjthePirate Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I see, I don't think my art is good enough people would want to pay 30 dollars for it. (I understand what you're saying though and I know I could set the price range diffrent than you did.) Another problem is I get distracted easily so I'd have trouble keeping track of how long I actually worked on the drawing. So I'm not sure if I could take that route.

Another thing I don't like is that I'd rather tell them up front what the price range could be because they might not have the money they need to pay me with. Also I'd rather have them pay before so they don't just take the art and don't pay.

Also I'm leaning more in the points direction since I've never taken commissions before. Also I'm going towards points since my dad is thinking about setting me up a Paypal in the future. I'm wanting the points so I can get a Premium Membership.

I have tons of books and stuff, but all the books I can find are more detailed and intricate than I'm ready to do at the moment. I often will find references and stuff to glance at if needed and such, I've been working on improving my art a lot lately. Another reason I'm starting commission's is so I can get a new tablet since the one I have sucks, I've used my best friends tablet before and the art quality was a lot better since it has sensitivity and stuff like that.

Thank you for the input. <3
:iconstormslegacy:
Stormslegacy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
With this route you should go in knowing on average how long things take. Getting distracted shouldn't stop you from being able to time yourself a couple times and seeing what your average is. I don't change it per commission, some take a little longer, some a little shorter but I know that for most badges say, I take about 2 hours of work. There will always be outliers but for every long badge there's a short one. If all of them are longer, well then clearly my average is off.
Hmm...I see. I'll try it maybe.

Thank you once again.
:iconeitvys200:
Eitvys200 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Up to 1 dollar not more. :nuu:
M'kay thanks for the feed back.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
What do other people of a similar skill level charge?
If you want to charge higher do you reasonably think people would pay it? If so charge it.
AjthePirate Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've never really opened commissions before. Most of the people I watch are super amazing, so I'm not really Watching anyone of the same skill level as me. So that's why I'm not to sure.
Add a Comment: