Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Advice about selling commissions? Help please!

:iconluliyoyo:
luliyoyo Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Hello!

Well, I need some advice on selling commissions. Since March I've been working as a freelancer (for some people I met here on DA), but right now I finished a project and other commissioner has no more money until next year, so I'll have to wait until I collect those payments.

I need about ~100 USD to pay for Christmas shopping, and as they are things I already ordered, I need to raise that much money in a week or less. I was thinking that I could do cheap commissions here, but I need some advice first.

First of all, how much money would be 'cheap' without being a total waste of time (and without disrespecting other artists? Do you think I can raise the money? Since not much people buys here (that's what I am told), are there other sites outside of DA where I can promote myself? A pay-what-you-want method would be good here? Do you think that doing pixel art (little portraits, avatars, animations, etc...) is a good idea for selling here on DA?

Out of all of those questions, the first and the last ones are the most important to me. I regularly do pixel art and want to get better and at the same time raise the money I need. I don't know how much does people charge around here, so any advice will help me. Would you buy something like my avatar, with a simple animation (for, say $5)? Or would you prefer digital or traditional drawings?

I hope this is in the correct forum! (I don't think this goes in "help with life")

Thank you all in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconteknomax:
TeknoMaX Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
I feel SO g*damned guilty about this u___u
luliyoyo Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student General Artist
Don't Hun, I'm guilty here >_> PM me and tell me what you think about all this :)
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
IF you have had a TON of watchers (and this is watchers, important here) say that they would love to commission you, but can not afford to, you MIGHT get some money.

However, if you do $5 commissions, you will have to do 20 drawings, and have them delivered prior to Christmas to get the money by Christmas. That would give you 15 days to get 20 commissions done, is that realistic? What if some of them then say "I don't have the money, I will have the money after January 1" or something of that sort?

Finally, I don't think DA is the best place to get commissions, however I don't think you have the time to seek out and market to another area.

Is there someone who could loan you the money? Could you babysit neighbors kids for it (people are usually looking for sitters this time of year)

If you do not already have examples of your little portraits, avatars, animations etc in your gallery, they are not a good idea in this instance, as you would need to get several up at once.

Have you hit the job offered forum?

And finally, if you can do realistic portraits, get some pictures of babies, draw them, then hit your local daycare centers and see if they will let you put up a small flier that you do childrens portraits from photos, and they make a great Christmas gift, on sale now for only $50, hit your local grocery store with this as well. Might get lucky and only have to do 2 drawings for your money. Good time of year for something like that.
Great piece of advice there! Thank you!
I am pretty quick at doing this kind of drawings (avatars and such)... but oh well, if I don't try I won't know.
You are right about DA and that's what I was afraid of, but as you say it's the only place I have right now.
I'll hit the job offers forum again, maybe there's someone who wants what I do. And the IRL advice is good too (though in my city they don't buy much art), so I'll put that into work too.
Thank you again!
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i think it'll take a long time for you to get $100 from commissions. you're not at a "pro" skill level yet, and only the ones with those high skill levels get paid a lot in commissions. in the job offers forum, people want highly skilled artists. (that's why i never get any jobs *shot*)

and your art doesn't have the most consistent style because it is not a lot of pieces and they're done over such a long period of time- what i'm saying is that it would be better if you did a lot more art in 2012.

maybe you could sell icons but idk about $5. maybe $2 or $3. and you should draw several more icon examples. your avatar is cute <3 but you need to do more icons to show people. (the two you did in 2007 are way different and not cute like the current one) do examples of animation. i would recommend more glitter/sparkles/shine to your icons though <3 i think that will sell.

but sorry, $100 is a lot of money to raise in such a short amount of time. it's just not reasonable for you.
I didn't mean I want to sell just one or two artworks and earn the 100 USD. I have in fact done that, but now it's not the time. If, for example, I sold something like my av for ~5USD, I'd need to sell 20 of them to earn the money. It's not much for me, and I can do them in one week.
I feel a little insulted here, as I stated that I am actually working as a freelancer with my not-pro level (and that's why I can't post anything... commissioners have their rules), and I have got all my jobs from DA job forum. I know that's not a excuse, you are right that I don't upload much, but oh well, I prefer not to get into that right here 'cause it's a different issue.
I apreciate your words and thank you for them, but I really think that some things you said could be taken as insulting. Please take that as advice.
i know that you didn't mean selling one or two artworks and getting $100. i know you'd have to sell several to get the $100 and that's why i said it's not reasonable. that is a LOT to sell in a week to add up to that much money. you'd have to find that many people willing to buy from you, when there are tons of other artist they could buy from.

i didn't know you have gotten a lot of jobs from da forums. if that's the case why are you posting here? i thought you needed help getting money. i'm not even trying to insult you, i guess i just misunderstood you. do you have a hard time getting money, or not? i thought you did, and i know it's hard to sell stuff on da. so i thought you made a thread here,to ask for some help because you had a difficult time getting money. you only mentioned you did one project. i didn't know youv'e done several other projects.

well i don't know what all your commission work looks like that's not on da. but still, people are going to want to see examples of high-quality art if you want them to buy a commission. what you have in your gallery right now didn't impress me enough that i'd see you as an artist i'd want to BUY from, except maybe an icon and i wouldn't pay $5 for it. and how many other people would look at your art and think the same as me? maybe i'm not the only one. i'm saying that it can be hard to find people willing to buy.

here's where i'm coming from: i've never sold a commission before and mine are super cheap. yet, i work hard on my art and i improve over time. so i'm not trying to insult you, because i'm less successful than you so i'd be insulting myself.
I did get jobs, yes, but it'd be my first time making commissions like this (and very quick ones, given the time). I wanted advice on that since I don't have much time to test and make mistakes. The other times I commited to the commissioners and worked with them for 3 or more months.
And yeah, that's what I meant before... most of my work isn't here, and I know people want to see a portfolio to buy. Obviously I'll put up examples of the kind of art I'll be doing for commissions, it'd be foolish of me if I just said "look I want money, I don't have anything to show but trust me!".
Thank you again, and I wasn't trying to offend you neither. Just keep in mind that things like "it's not reasonable for you" could be misunderstood.
no i meant what i said. i really don't think you will be able to make anything close to $100, in just a week. unless you have other art that is better that what's in your gallery. based on your gallery alone, i don't think so. i think you should have already had those additional art examples up before you started this thread, so that we can have a better idea of what kind of art you wish to sell.

although even if that other art you have IS a lot better than what's in your gallery, long term projects pay more money, but smaller commissions clearly won't pay as much. so that's why i thought it was unreasonable. the thing is, there are so many great artists on da (and sorry but i don't know much about other sites to advertise on except maybe tumblr). you'd have to quickly find a bunch of people willing to buy from you. that's hard because there are many other great artists to buy from.

i think you should still try to sell drawing commissions and icon commissions, go in the job services forum and maybe thumbshare forum or submit art to several groups. i think you'll be able to make a little money but not a lot in a short amount of time.
So you don't get why I think you were being insulting. I know those things, I just wanted advice on how to sell. And I do have the examples.
Thank you again.
Add a Comment: