Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Why every wants to charge for their art?

:iconmythicsonofgod:
MYTHICSONOFGOD Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
First I want to be clear that I am not talking about professional/semi-professional/full time artist that as professionals have every right to charge for their hard/time consuming work , nor I am saying that people don't have the right to earn money for their hard work.

But I wonder why so many amateurs (like me), like to charge for their art and are unwilling to do even the simplest of doodles or even a comment without some kind of profit.

I thought art (not pro art,that is) was to have fun and and to express your self, to show others the inner of your soul, something you love so much you would do even for free in other words a passion.

When I draw for someone else it makes me very happy even if it is an awful doodle.

I am not criticizing or anything I am just wondering why love for art and for others is taking a back sit to the love of profits.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcnids:
Cnids Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Because if I'm not being compensated for my time, I'd rather be doing something I enjoy.
thank you for sharing your opinion
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Also, art supplies cost money, so it probably helps to pay some bills for that.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Think about the artist alley. They are not all professionals, but they do it anyway, because its fun, enjoyable, and it pays.

And actually amateur means your not paid, where as a profession is where you are paid.
thank you for sharing your opinion :). Your posts are always helpful
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
"I am not criticizing or anything I am just wondering why love for art and for others is taking a back sit to the love of profits."

Just because I love doing something doesn't mean I want to give it away to everybody who asks. I love knitting, too. But even though I have a passion for knitting and I use it as self-expression and all that stuff you said, it doesn't mean I want to give random people several hours of my life and $30 of my yarn.

"When I draw for someone else it makes me very happy even if it is an awful doodle."

You happen to enjoy this specific mix of altruism and ego validation. It doesn't follow that everybody else has to enjoy the same thing.
It's ok I was just curious I a not seeking to change minds or judge, thank you for sharing your opinion.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
before I went pro, if someone asked me out of the blue to do something for them and had nothing I wanted in return then I would ask for compensation of payment. I'm not going to draw some strangers character because they told me they like my work.

However I think a lot of people are desperate for commissions because of a few reasons.
a) having your own ideas is hard, drawing what people tell you is fairly easy on the brain process. And can be fun.
b) the validation. I know when I was younger all my favourite artists did commissions so I used to think that if I commissioned it would mean I was a good artist.
c) the popularity. People seem to love people who do commissions. And if you price them cheap in points more people will flock to your page and go "omg 5 point commissions" (40 cents guys 40 cents, even babysitting pays more than that) erby making you seem popular.
d) a genuine desire to become a professional artist.
It's ok I was just curious I am not seeking to change minds or judge, thank you for sharing your opinion I learned a lot for sure.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
Tbh I spent a long long time just drawing for myself. If I did draw for other people it was like a gift or because I wanted to.

Way back when I used to participate in non dA forums, and you kind of make a fake currency on those every time you posted and I used to do sort of commissions for the fake currency, that was always fun. I just spent the fake currency on things other people were selling.

It's a case of whatever it is, if there's a market for it you can sell. And people wanted to spend fake currency on my work so I sold it. But it wasn't all that great at the time.

For real money I think some people jump into commissioning a bit too early for the 'wrong reasons' or saying "I really need the cash and I don't want a saturday job." Well tbh if you're art's not good and you don't already have a commissioning market you're better off with the saturday job if the cash is what you're in it for. If you 'need the cash' but do points commissions (which can only be spent on the dA store) then you obviously don't really need the cash and are kind of guilting people into commissioning you...
Add a Comment: