Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

What do you feel makes an artist "good" and what makes an artist "bad"?

:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
What do you think makes someone an artist in your eyes? What separates "good art" from "bad art" in your opinion? I personally feel that it's the understanding and application of knowledge that makes someone a good artist. I personally feel that if you understand the principles of design and numerous concepts of art and then apply that knowledge into your work, you're a good artist in my eyes. What do you guys think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student General Artist
Usually you can tell how good the person is in their drawing or painting skills from far away. Thumbs are very important especially when you do concept art. Just also thinking the fine arts way, how does a painting catch your eye. Usually the painting from far away that has alot of it that is clear from far away is a really good too. Also that no one looks at a painting pixel by pixel or up close at first. You have to at least be a good illusionist in a way to trick the eye and brain. This is also why not every detail is important, because the brain can sometimes fill that in.

To also add that detail isn't important, edge quality is also important. Sharpness is a key to a good painting too, and having good contrast.

Immediately if you look at the thumb you can tell if the thing has good contrast, has a clear composition, etc.
Most of the time, Im a sucker for really good use of colors or its the concept.

Of course in the end, everyone just has different tastes and like/dislikes.
:iconmonochromaticmoose:
MonochromaticMoose Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Apparently their personal beliefs; according to the "non-favvers" who rant about not favving so-and-so's work, because "It's good art, but I hate him/her!" :p
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
It's really very subjective.

What I might consider "good" or "bad" art certainly isn't the same for other people looking at the same example that I am.  Perhaps it's the influence of the American and Japanese comics for me, but I usually consider an artist good when they can draw a human figure in motion against the background of a city street, and I can recognize that as a "real person" running towards me on a busy street with high-rise apartments and office buildings on both sides.
:iconcapilair:
Capilair Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I cant really define what bad and good art is because its something REALLY abstract. What i consider to be boring art however, are works that had no creative thinking put into them
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
a good artist is someone who works hard, practices often, is inspired by the world around them, has a creative mind, a unique style, and doesn't copy/trace/steal.

a bad artist is someone who doesn't do anything outside their comfort zone, is too lazy to practice often, has trouble coming up with ideas because they never notice the ideas that are all around them, they aren't creative and they don't get inspired very much, they don't have a unique style- their art just blends in with others and there's nothing special about it, and of course art thieves aren't just bad artists, they're not artists at all.

please notice that i said NOTHING about skill level. also notice that i said NOTHING about what type of art you do, like anime, realism, "fine art," etc. the type of art you do doesn't matter. skill level doesn't matter, you can have a skilled artist who has no creativity at all.
You have a very good definition of it.
I get what you mean. My first painting teacher told me something similar to your last comment. He told me that while you can be a very skilled artist, you may not have inspiration at all. However he told me that I have inspiration, but that I simply struggle with executing the medium. In the beginning, when I was starting to take drawing seriously I would trace images sometimes. However, now I mainly use reference photos to execute my ideas.
:iconhawkbit:
Hawkbit Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
So..a good artist is someone who makes me enjoy his works. His art should be interesting and has to have an individual style...I canīt tell you much about it art is a hobby for me and I put my heart into it. And I canīt tell you everytime why I enjoy an artwork and donīt enjoy another.
I think the way you behave in front of other artists is much more important then the skill. There are more then enough ones who do everything to get attention like writing senceless comments and such a stuff, there are people who steal others ideas or art people who feel more important then they are or people who use their art as a weapon to hurt others and on and on and on.
So...when you donīt have really good skills you can practice to get better but the way you behave decides.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Digital Artist
I would only consider an artist 'bad' if they're spreading around bad advice while not being able to learn themselves.
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Well, good artist, and good art are two different things to me, so I am only going to address good artist, which is all about attitude.

A good artist is looking for feedback, a does not blow up at negative feedback. A good artist is not trying to prove they are the best, most excellent, or biggest prodigy ever to hit the planet earth. A good artist applies new techniques to their art, and is looking for ways to stretch out of their comfort zone.

A good artist is not doing art for popularity. A good artist does not get upset when others are better than they are. A good artist does not get offended when others ask them questions about their art (this does not mean that they tell you everything you ask, just that you don't get offended that someone is asking)
Add a Comment: