December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 44

Community Input Wanted - General Art Related Forum Stickies

:iconastralseed:
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
Hello all,
The Volunteer team is looking to revise some of the stickies in the forums and we'd love your input!

Since the General Art Related Forum often has users asking how they can get more exposure to their art we'd like to cover that in a sticky for people. So how do you gain exposure on deviantART? Do you have any tips or tricks that we can add to the list? What would you suggest to a new user who wanted more exposure? We appreciate any input you can give on this topic.

As mentioned above we are looking to update the stickies and our current sticky for this forum doesn't necessarily leave much to go by. Are there any things in particular you'd like to see changed in the main sticky (Forum Posting Guidelines) for the Art Related General Forum? All input on this is also greatly appreciated and will help shape the future sticky.

We look forward to hearing what you all have to say on these matters.
:blowkiss:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
You Should make a stickie with tutorials for people. A lot of people ask "how do i do this? any good tutorials out there?...i know finding tutorials can be hard especially good ones. But i think if you have a stickie where... you can over time, add all the helpful tutorials to it, i think most people are after those. maybe break it down to different sections and have PERSPECTIVE,INKING,PAINTING,AIRBRUSHING the list can go on and on but i think having videos organized into different categories, that they can easily look through and find.
It would be a lot of work for that stickie but i think in the end that will help people out a ton. a gerneral art forum tutorial stickie.

Also maybe put this in there also......have a list of art related drawing books for people to get. to help them improve, figure drawing, gestures, ect.
:icontheblackbullets:
TheBlackBullets Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Defiantly a critque sticky.
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
:thumbsup:
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
What about a sticky for:
"I'm working on a project and I'd like you to click this link and tell me what you think of it."
I see those topics a lot.
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Professional General Artist
Thanks for your input :)
:iconcrickatoo:
Crickatoo Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
So how do you gain exposure on deviantART?

:bulletblue: Share uploaded deviations on other social networking sites such as Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter etc.
:bulletblue: Participate in, or host contests!
:bulletblue: Use the search to find other artists that have similar tastes, talk to them, make friends! :D It goes a long way and can help you improve your artwork a lot :D
:bulletblue: Participate in groups
:bulletblue: The Thumbshare forum!
:bulletblue: Always do your best, and strive to improve.
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Professional General Artist
Great tips, thanks for sharing!
:iconebonsong:
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Coolness. I like stickies that help new folks out.

My tip would be for a new member wanting some longer-term exposure is to treat others kindly and help with advice and/or time when you can. People do remember kindness and may give a friendly point to you in a journal/comment one day.
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
Great tip, thank you for your input!
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Yessss at last it's being considered!
Yay for notes and bless the others :')
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
:D
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Thank you! :huggle:
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
:hug:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
:heart:
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Interface Designer
I'm in favour of Critique thread, and exposure related thread too :nod: I'd love to help writing that too, I've written a few guides on that topic in the past too ^^
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
:thumbsup: awesome thank you!
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I second monthly critique.
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional General Artist
:highfive:
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Digital Artist
I second monthly critique sticky! :la:
:#1:
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I definitely agree with the "How to get exposure" sticky. That's probably one of the most commonly-asked questions on the forums.
:nod: that is what we were thinking as well.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
ALL THE THUMBSHARE.

Also, make sure to provide a positive impression--if you start off by making a thread in the wrong place and you keep doing it, people are not going to be inclined to view your work favorably.
I think the people who do that repeatedly are not the norm though.
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I don't think so.
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
Yeah, me either D:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:ohnoes:
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Professional General Artist
:noes:
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Guidelines for Forums>Art Related>General:

:bulletred: Any threads started here should encourage art related discussions. Non art topics can be posted in Forums>Deviantart>Deviants
:bulletred: Please read and become familiar with the general forum rules before posting. FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?
:bulletred: For promoting or requesting feedback on your own submissions, please use the Deviation Thumbshare Forum instead.
:bulletred: If you have questions about using this website or reporting problems, please read this: [link]

I agree with the idea of an artists block sticky!
and how do you gain exposure
Art software suggestions should probably be a sticky in the software forum
should I get a digital tablet? could be a sticky in hardware
also maybe solutions to common tablet problems
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional General Artist
I would say not "software" or "hardware" forum, but "Digital art". The majority of such questions ends up there.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
Just to be a little bit of a devils advocate, do you think that a lot of people asking the questions about software and tablets would think to look in the software and hardware forum? Seeing as how many people seem to not be able to read the rules anyway. (/cynical)
Hopefully at least some folks will look at the section headings and choose the right sections. Otherwise we might as well just have one section with everything in it.

I think they'll probably be helpful wherever they end up, but it might be best to put the software stickies in Software, the hardware stickies in Hardware etc.. just to minimize the amount of clutter in General.
I thought of that too, but if they wont read it there I imagine they may not read it if it was stickied in another forum either.
It's not that I hate asking questions, it's just that I personally find that sometimes obvious questions are better researched yourself.

Or in my case if you don't know what programs to use and have had no previous interest in digital art what are you getting a tablet for? I already was a digital art creator before I got my tablet to make the process easier... it's expensive if you just have it then go "well what do I do with it..." but that's a personal opinion and I would always help someone with a query XD
How can I improve? is another frequently asked question
I have several journal entries and quotes from various DA members on that topic:

How can I become a better artist: [link]
How to improve image composition: [link]
My drawings are slanted, angled, crooked or skewed: [link]
Thank you, this is very helpful!
to add to becca, perhaps a post about digital art programs. There are almost daily threads on "I just got a tablet now what do I draw with" and so a thread for talking about "Get GIMP/Sai/Photoshop or Inkscape/Illustrator etc"
I wonder if that may be more useful in the digital art forum?
yes perhaps. I just brought it up here because I see it in general, and it is information they want so I don't mind answering several times.

Or maybe we should have a sticky that is titled.

"Do you have a question or query for the forum?"

And inside the post it says

"Have you googled it first?"

Because a lot of the answers are obvious if you google first. But I think that would be mean XD
I agree, that those things get posted here quite a bit. It was even something I believe I brought up to ^3wyl when we spoke about revamping the sticky for this Forum, so I really do wonder if it's something that should be here in the sticky or just over in the digital art forum?

Perhaps a type of commonly asked questions with links to the answers might be useful?
Perhaps it needs to be a sticky in both? Since some people go to digital art and some come here.
:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Writer
Didn't mean to hit "add comment! yet! I was going to say, we've got quite a few stickies in the literature forum, some of which may be useful to copy across (i.e. change writers block to artists block) and maybe set up a monthly critique thread? The critique thread especially works really well and has been running now for over a year!
I'll be sure to look into those! And I really love the idea of monthly critique threads so that's definitely something worth looking into as well.
:iconbeccalicious:
Beccalicious Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Writer
(psst- just make sure before you do create any stickies, you run them past Danie (was Pete) to confirm before posting!)
Add a Comment: