Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Tablet question!

:iconpeytonjune:
I'm getting a tablet for Christmas, and I need to know what would be the best kind to get.

Preferably something less than three hundred dollars.

I've never used a tablet before, so I'd need something that's an easy transition from the traditional art I usually do.

And I need a painting program. I've been thinking about getting Sai. But how much is it?

(if this is the wrong forum I'm sorry!)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbluewyrm:
Someone's already suggested Wacom; I'd get a bamboo, they're quite affordable.
There's a company called monoprice that's worth looking into too, their stuff's been getting really good reviews and it's pretty cheap in comparison. Haven't tested those myself though, so I can't be sure.

Be forewarned: tablets are never an 'Easy transition' from traditional art. The hand/eye/screen coordination takes weeks to get used to, and you'll never have the same exactitude of coordination you get with traditional art. Use large image sizes and make frequent use of the zoom in/out tool; drawing zoomed out makes the tablet's line less precise.
:iconweremole:
weremole Dec 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
You'll get a good beginners graphics tablet for under a hundred. The Sai license cost $64. There isn't a Mac version of it however if that's what you are using. Any stylus is more analogous to traditional drawing since its pen like I think. You just have to get used with it and get used to look at the screen while drawing on the plate.

Graphics tablets with a screen and the kind of pressure sensitivity and stylus control that lends itself to drawing is still quite expensive.
Ohh, A mac is what I use.

Is there any other good programs besides Sai? Photoshop confuses me...
:iconweremole:
weremole Dec 8, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Photoshop is just versatile as hell. I like it a lot for absolutely everything besides linework. It depends on what you want and what you enjoy working with. Have you tried Sketchbook Pro?
:iconryonma:
Wacom tablet all the way :dance: Since you're a starter, I'd recommend Bamboo. It's a quite simple tablet but it's got all the pen capabilities you will need for painting, drawing, etc. And it's pretty cheap too. :D

Paint Tool SAI is very good for drawing manga, if that's what you're into. It's a Japanese software, but I think there's a free English version you can download somewhere. Just google Paint Tool SAI and you'll find it.

I hope this helped :D
I was checking out the Wacom website, but I wasn't sure what kind I would get. Thanks!
Add a Comment: