December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

Which Wacom tablet should I buy?

:iconsilver-moonnight:
Silver-MoonNight Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:wave:

I'm planning to get my own Wacom tablet but I don't know which one I should buy. I simply do drawing as hobby and I don't study in art college. So, it would be nice if you can recommend some for me, especially those who own one too! I have my own budget though, so buying Cintiq or Intuos is quite a no-no to me, unfortunately. But I would like to hear comparison between Cintiq, Intuos and Bamboo too I don't understand a thing that is written on the website anyway...
:paranoid:

I live in M'sia by the way. Recommendation to a place where I can get cheaper one would be great too! Heh.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsagestrike2:
SageStrike2 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a cintiq, and have never really had a problem with it. It's pretty expensive though, even if you get one used, like I did. Mine went for about $400
:iconnightpalm:
nightpalm Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Artist
ah, since im a reseller wacom itself, i tell you what the difference

Bamboo vs. Intuos4/5

Generally speaking, the Intuos tablets are Wacoms professional line, while the Bamboo line is more geared to home users. This doesnt mean that the Bamboo models are unfit for professional use. Ive used a Graphire, the precursor to the Bamboo, for lots of years without any problem.

Two key differences separate Intuos4 and Bamboo lines: performance and customization. Wacom Intuos4 models have better resolution and sensitivity, and can recognize the pen tilt angle, unlike the Bamboo. The Intuos can also be customized in more ways, with eight express key buttons and illuminated labels that can be mapped to application-specific profiles. For example, I have one of the tablet buttons mapped to the new tab command when Im browsing the internet.

On top of that, the professional line is better built and should last longer under intense usage.

Intuos4 advantages are:

* Better resolution5,080 lpi vs. 2,540 lpi.
* More pressure levels2048 vs. 1024.
* Intuos4 pens are tilt sensitive.
* Precision mode, unavailable on the Bamboo, lowers the pen sensitivity momentarily, making it easier to draw fine lines and detailed selections.
* More programmable express keys and more comprehensive customization options.
* Customizable illuminated displays for each express key.
* Slightly slimmer profile.
* Available in larger sizes.
* Optional wireless mouse support.

Intuos4 wired USB vs. wireless

In terms of functionality, both Bluetooth wireless and wired USB Intuos4 tablets are the same. The main external difference is that the wireless tablet has an internal battery that should be recharged periodically by plugging it into a USB port.

Performance wise, the two should be exactly the same when connected via USB, except that the wireless model doesnt support the optional Wacom mouse. When in wireless mode, Bluetooth will always have more latency and lag than a wired connection. Theres also the issue of freezing when switching between applications with specific tablet configurations. This was acknowledged by Wacom on their support forum and happens due to the limited bandwidth of the Bluetooth protocol. Every time an application with a customized tablet control profile is in the foreground, the computer has to send the tablet that specific configuration, and this takes a noticeable time over wireless. During this process, the tablet freezes for one or two seconds.

Most users would be totally satisfied with the wired model. It has better performance and easier configuration. If you are an illustrator and have the habit of drawing with your canvas on your lap, consider the wireless model. Its a safe bet, since the price difference between the two is only US$ 50 and you could always use it wired if youre not satisfied with the wireless performance.

Wacom Cintiq vs. Intuos

The Cintiq family combines a pressure sensitive tablet with a slim LCD display, enabling users to interact directly on the surface of the screen and in a much more natural way. There are three models available: the top of the line Cintiq 24HD, the 21.3" Cintiq 21UX and the 12.1" Cintiq 12WX. All three can be used as main or secondary displays. The 24HD and 21UX models have very high quality LCD panels and can be suitably calibrated for color critical use.

The smaller model is not so well reviewed. Some users complain of jittery cursor response near the screen edges and inadequate display performance and viewing angles, an indication of a TN LCD panel in use, which is not recommended for applications where color accuracy is indispensable. Based on this feedback, wed recommend the 12WX only as a secondary display.

Our recommendations

For photography, graphic design, web design, illustration, and video editing, up to 30" LCD size:
Wacom Intuos4 Medium , Wacom Intuos4 Large

For less demanding creative work, general usage, and web surfing, up to 24" display size:
Bamboo Create / bamboo fun medium pen n touch (CTH670 model).

For an illustrator dream setup:
Cintiq 24HD
:iconnightpalm:
nightpalm Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Student Artist
in my opinion it doesn't matter which wacom you'll buy
but i prefer intuos or cintiq for better pressure (but pressure is something you can set in the program).. in the end skill do the thing :D
just believe in your hands :icongreatjobplz:
:iconastrikos:
Astrikos Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012   General Artist
Intuos, or cinitiq if you're serious enough,
bamboo series are wonderful for starters. (they don't suffer in quality either)
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I had a Wacom Volito which lasted me quite a few years and I upgraded to a Wacom Bamboo and it does me just fine.
:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I bought a Bamboo Manga (similar to Bamboo Pen and Touch, just with a fancy name and box art) for $200 SG Dollars (bought it in Singapore). It's cheap (well, cheaper than Intuos and Cintiq), and does its job really well. Pressure sensitivity, responsiveness, smoothness, tablet texture, all are perfect.
Silver-MoonNight Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for the suggestion :nod:
:icondarkn2ght:
darkn2ght Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
i use bamboo wacom model CTH-460. not sure of the price, but should be round rm200-300:)...been using it for three years^^,
Silver-MoonNight Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I see! :la:
Where did you bought it though? If you still remember :D
:icondarkn2ght:
darkn2ght Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
low yatt should have them:)...sure i saw them there last i went there to get an mp3 player. mine was a prize, so dunno where it comes from, lol
Add a Comment: