December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Portfolio - Help Please!

:iconfuru101:
furu101 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
Hello there :3

So anyways, I've applied for Bachelor of Fine Arts at several schools which require portfolios. Can anyone give me advice/tips/examples/ideas? Also, do you know if photo references count as plagiarism? Please help!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmew-sumomo:
Mew-Sumomo Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I believe using photo references is okay as long as it is not directly copied from a photograph, especially one that is widely known and/or protected by a copyright law. After all, schools would like to see you use those references constructively; there's a difference between using it as a reference and straight up copying.

You'll probably have to look at each school's portfolio requirements to see if they demand anything specific (especially if the school has a hometest; the Parsons Challenge, RISD pencil test and the Cooper Union hometest are a few examples of this), but for the most part the portfolio should be 12-20 examples of your best work, preferably no earlier than your junior year of high school. You don't have to submit work that's specific to your major; schools would rather see what you're capable of. Include work that shows that you're versatile in a variety of media and styles.=, and that you have a thorough understanding of the elements and principles of design. Academic work is a plus, and should ideally represent a large section of the portfolio (such as figure drawings/paintings, still life, sculpture, photography and other studies). Try to steer clear of submitting any cartoon or anime/manga style work since art departments, for the most part, loathe seeing it in student portfolios each year. It is okay to submit stylistic illustration-type work but it is best to be kept at a minimum aside from academic work.

My portfolio had 20 pieces, and of that 20 about 13 of them were life studies. The rest was a mixture of drawing, painting, photography, one digital art piece and one linoleum print piece.

Let me know if you have any other questions. =P
I'll try to stay away from anime as much as possible, or perhaps lean more towards semi realism for some of them, as well as realism and such. Thank you for your help!
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
Photo reference does not equal plagiarism.

As for portfolio generally what a school wants to see is your willingness to learn and openness to teaching. Which means if you provide a portfolio full of one style and one medium you will come across as "well I already know what I want so why bother coming here" instead a range of work you've done for school/college, with some personal work too. Different media, different subject matter, perhaps a couple of more rough sketches...
Thanks a lot :)
Add a Comment: