Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 307

Arrogance

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As a regular member here, and on several other art forums, I've always wondered why those really good/talented artists often come appear to be such cold and arrogant personalities. Does this really relate to skill level, or were they that way to begin with (and was this maybe the key to their success)? Is it because they know they're better than you are, and they look down on the less talented? Or do they just haven't got the time to bother with every single one of their fans, and is that the reason they appear so cold and distant?

And (to prevent flaming) no... I'm not saying all talented people are arrogant. I just happen to see a lot of talented people that are, and I wondered why.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   Writer
I don't really notice a correlation . Speaking solely about the literature community, i have definitely seen cases where really great writers barely interact with "fans" of their work.  But they still have friends with which they are conversant. I've also seen writers who are talented and very magnanimous with most everyone who interacts with them.  I think the social behavior of an artist really resembles everyday life in some respects.  Sometimes you're withdrawn, sometimes you are extroverted, and often, you just arbitrarily decide when to be engaging and when to hand out the cold shoulder . whether talent or popularity come into play, I'm not sure I've seen enough evidence either way to come to a solid conclusion.
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
If the cold/arrogant thing is passive, it might just be that they're socially awkward.

If they're actively arrogant (*cough* ~illastrat *cough*), then they're insecure, and are trying to make themselves feel better by tearing others apart.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Heh, Illastrat is probably one of the worst examples of arrogant people, though it's pretty obvious that he's insecure about himself and just trying to hide it by acting up that way.

I must say... I haven't seen people that bad before ^^
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My guess would be lack of time. Think of it this way, if artist is popular he has lots of wanted and unwanted attention, lots of people who want to commission and also those who are looking to steal their works for example. They get lots of feedback too which is physically impossible to manage. And there are always "iconoclastic" deviants out there, namely people who are looking to pull down some monuments by complaining about what they don't see eye to eye with an artist: style, theme, etc. It can be very draining if you pay way too much attention to what every single commenter says especially if what they say is based on their opinion not with factual things.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmm... I guess there's some truth in your words :)
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
anyway your works are good enough so I don't see you having such issues with other artists, especially since you have potential to become a fantastic artist yourself <3
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hah... thanks a lot. That's quite flattering ^^

But aside from that... being good as an artist doesn't always mean you're treated the right way. Same goes for having potential. Some people just like to bash on those that have either skills or potential... because they see them as concurrence.
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Some artists are arrogant for sure, some are very busy, and some are merely socially awkward. I saw this first hand when I took a graphic design course. Alot of very pretentious people (mostly the instructors), but most students were just kindof awkward but cool once you got to know them. It seems the most talented ones were the most awkward actually.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I always thought it came down to activity/ popularity. I noticed as my own account gained more attention I was hard pressed to really respond to every single fave, watch or llama notice and to the point where I started cutting down on responses to replies from things to my profile page or comments on art, journals etc. Sure I could probably squeeze in more time to reply to it all but I want to do other things outside of DA like work, time with my boyfriend, friends, gaming, making more art etc. I don't know and I hope it doesn't come off as arrogant, but for artists who have over a 1,000 active watchers, I can't blame them for being selective with their responses, if they do respond at all.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I perfectly understand that having 1000+ watchers leaves you unable to reply on every single comment. I don't mind that at all. But I am bothered by those that are downward impolite towards other people, just because their art is better than yours :/
Add a Comment: