Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 307

Arrogance

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As a regular member here, and on several other art forums, I've always wondered why those really good/talented artists often come appear to be such cold and arrogant personalities. Does this really relate to skill level, or were they that way to begin with (and was this maybe the key to their success)? Is it because they know they're better than you are, and they look down on the less talented? Or do they just haven't got the time to bother with every single one of their fans, and is that the reason they appear so cold and distant?

And (to prevent flaming) no... I'm not saying all talented people are arrogant. I just happen to see a lot of talented people that are, and I wondered why.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthetaoofchaos:
thetaoofchaos Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   Writer
I don't really notice a correlation . Speaking solely about the literature community, i have definitely seen cases where really great writers barely interact with "fans" of their work.  But they still have friends with which they are conversant. I've also seen writers who are talented and very magnanimous with most everyone who interacts with them.  I think the social behavior of an artist really resembles everyday life in some respects.  Sometimes you're withdrawn, sometimes you are extroverted, and often, you just arbitrarily decide when to be engaging and when to hand out the cold shoulder . whether talent or popularity come into play, I'm not sure I've seen enough evidence either way to come to a solid conclusion.
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
If the cold/arrogant thing is passive, it might just be that they're socially awkward.

If they're actively arrogant (*cough* ~illastrat *cough*), then they're insecure, and are trying to make themselves feel better by tearing others apart.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Heh, Illastrat is probably one of the worst examples of arrogant people, though it's pretty obvious that he's insecure about himself and just trying to hide it by acting up that way.

I must say... I haven't seen people that bad before ^^
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My guess would be lack of time. Think of it this way, if artist is popular he has lots of wanted and unwanted attention, lots of people who want to commission and also those who are looking to steal their works for example. They get lots of feedback too which is physically impossible to manage. And there are always "iconoclastic" deviants out there, namely people who are looking to pull down some monuments by complaining about what they don't see eye to eye with an artist: style, theme, etc. It can be very draining if you pay way too much attention to what every single commenter says especially if what they say is based on their opinion not with factual things.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmm... I guess there's some truth in your words :)
:iconzummerfish:
zummerfish Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
anyway your works are good enough so I don't see you having such issues with other artists, especially since you have potential to become a fantastic artist yourself <3
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hah... thanks a lot. That's quite flattering ^^

But aside from that... being good as an artist doesn't always mean you're treated the right way. Same goes for having potential. Some people just like to bash on those that have either skills or potential... because they see them as concurrence.
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Some artists are arrogant for sure, some are very busy, and some are merely socially awkward. I saw this first hand when I took a graphic design course. Alot of very pretentious people (mostly the instructors), but most students were just kindof awkward but cool once you got to know them. It seems the most talented ones were the most awkward actually.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I always thought it came down to activity/ popularity. I noticed as my own account gained more attention I was hard pressed to really respond to every single fave, watch or llama notice and to the point where I started cutting down on responses to replies from things to my profile page or comments on art, journals etc. Sure I could probably squeeze in more time to reply to it all but I want to do other things outside of DA like work, time with my boyfriend, friends, gaming, making more art etc. I don't know and I hope it doesn't come off as arrogant, but for artists who have over a 1,000 active watchers, I can't blame them for being selective with their responses, if they do respond at all.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I perfectly understand that having 1000+ watchers leaves you unable to reply on every single comment. I don't mind that at all. But I am bothered by those that are downward impolite towards other people, just because their art is better than yours :/
:icongrasschamp:
Grasschamp Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I believe that some people are right when they say that people of these kinds of skills are only cold because they are busy, but not all great artists are cold. I may not be a good as they are, but I get the attention they do just by trying my best and I have people I enjoy not only talking to, but those who like what I do.

It also comes down to whether you open up to others to learn more or not, which may also be a case to why so many brilliant artists have bad personalities with the viewers.
:iconjulessilvan:
JulesSilvan Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013   Traditional Artist
Some people prefer their work to get the attention and have minimal social interaction. Or they could be busy, they may have far too many comments to reply to, they might be shy or just don't know what to say, and a small amount may just be arseholes. There are lots of reasons.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Student Writer
I don't think that is per se neccessary or so... Some extremely good artists are the nicest people you'll ever meet, and there are people who come off as arrogant but aren't good artists at all.

Personally, I think it has a lot more to do with jealousy. If an artist who's much better than you makes a slippery remark, it's easier to demote it to "arrogance". When actually, you're just a little jeaulous of his/her abilities.

And then there's something I don't think you should confuse: actual skill and popularity are two very different things. Someone can become popular because they're a very nice person who gives away lots of lamas and writes interesting blogs. While an exceptionally good artist might be too involved with the creation of his own art that he/she doesn't care about popularity. Would you call such a person arrogant? I don't know... I just think that you can't put all people in the same cathegory...
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Would that make it a compliment if you're considered arrogant, because people envy your skills? =P
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Writer
:XD: Well, if you're only considered arrogant because they envy your skills, then probably yes. But really, you can never know for sure why you are considered arrogant. There can be many different reasons that lead to one perceived "image" of you...
:iconinrydanmaku:
InryDanmaku Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
How about some people only look at their own work. I know a few people who never look at their friends work but act like they are the next picasso while their own art is much more amateuristic. If I want to be humbled I just look at deviantart for five minutes ;) So many artists who are a thousend times better than me.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well... I actually rarely know those.
It's pretty much impossible NOT to look at other people's work on a website like DA. Although there are some that still think their work is better than others, although it isn't.
:iconpriscillaw:
PriscillaW Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
The arrogant artists who I find are either frauds or just extremely insecure.
lol XD
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Arrogance is an overinflated sense of your self-worth, where confidence is knowing exactly where you stand. But these days it seems artists are expected to be self-deprecating about their art.

Honestly, I think part of the reason a few artists might come off a little cold is...well, have you ever had a non-artist or beginning artist try to be buddy-buddy with you just to get free art? I'm nowhere near that popular, and I've had it happen quite a bit(they're usually pretty thankless about it too). I can spot them pretty easily, so I still try to make friends with all sorts of people...but some artists don't have the social skills or time to do that and just try to stick with people of their skill level, especially if they're here for critique rather than making friends.

Sure, there CAN be arrogant artists, but that's a human trait, not an artistic one. I've seen 40 year old people drawing manga on lined paper thinking they could rival Tezuka.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well... I don't bother about artists that seem 'cold' or 'distant'. I can imagine if one gets 100+ replies a day, he doesn't have time to answer all of them. However, I do think it's a problem when people like that tell others to quit art because they're untalented (And yes, I've seen so. I've even been told so).

I too have seen many people that only buddy with me to get free art, premium memberships, or whatever. And I don't even consider myself a popular DA member, in that kind of sense. I just chose to ignore people like that, like I do with people irl that are only friendly with me because of skills or money that I posses. Why bother answering people you don't want to spend time on?
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Student General Artist
Ah 'talent'. All the popular artists I know don't believe in talent as anything more than a collection of predispositions(visual thinkers aren't always artists, but a lot of artists are visual thinkers for instance).

I think part of the problem is if someone sees a good artist, they expect them to be a good person. Putting someone on a pedestal might make the fact that they're an asshole even more prominent than if they weren't.

I agree not to waste time on leeches, in fact I've very little patience for that type of person in general. They are the type that likes to paint an artist as arrogant if they don't get what they want...which becomes a problem if people actually listen to them.
I wish I had the luxery not to believe in talent. But I still see people that get better with less work than I do, so I guess there's some kind of talent that at least makes it easier to learn stuff like that.

About expecting people to be good persons. I never expect people's personality to match with their skill level, of whatsoever. But you're eager to hope such a person is nice, because you might somehow learn from them, if they're nice =P
:iconmemmil:
Memmil Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Everyone isn't here to talk with people. They might me busy, I quess. They don't have time or interest to respond to every comment. :/
:iconsarosna:
Sarosna Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I understand what you mean. I've played MMOs in the past and I've been active on several forums. But I'm not the type of person who jabbers on and on forever to random people. I just started doing my art so I'm still pretty bad but several people have faved my works and I always thank them. Even with a little "Ty for the fav!" but I still thank them. However I don't go on an uber friendly mode and start faving everything of theirs and putting up a Friend Watch. I don't work like that. If I am approached by someone through an interesting conversation then sure, I don't mind being their friend and communicating with them. It's just so incredibly rare. I feel more comfortable with forums because the conversations aren't 1on1 personal.

I hated 1on1 convos with randoms in MMOs too. Whenever you come online, tired from work, there's this super duper social person whispering you the second you see your character on the screen with stuff like "Hey wanna do dungeons for fun? xD" and when you say you're gonna go offline after 2 dungeons they're like "You go already? Nooo! I don't have anyone to play with!". It's not that it's a bad thing necessarily...were just not all like that.

Now imagine being a very popular DA artist with thousands of watchers spamming your pics full of "I love it!" comments. You come online and you have like 100 feedback messages. Hell, the most popular artists propably have a million times more. I, personally, would be a bit distressed by that and I surely wouldn't start hand holding everyone who posted a comment. There's ever so much a human being can do. So I guess a lot of artists are just busy.

But as long as there are human beings there is also arrogance. But the thing I've noticed with arrogant artists is that they're usually just insecure or then just overly popular compared to their skill level. Having skimmed through a lot of Ginga fanart, I've seen this a lot among the more younger artists.
Memmil Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Very true! :)
Makes me wonder why they join a community in the first place, when they don't want to talk to anyone.
It's the same as going to a party without the intention of talking to anyone. Nearly impossible, and socially awkward XD
They're here to promote their artwork and make people interested, I think.
Most advertisement is done by communication anyway.
That's the sole reason social media has become so immensely popular as advertisement medium in the last few years.

Promoting on the internet, without communication, is so web 1.0.
Ok, maybe they just want to be visible to public, but not communicate with it.
:icongalvanaut:
Galvanaut Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I dunno, you seem like a pretty good natured artist with a high skill level to me. Guess it just depends on where you look maybe?
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well... thanks for that... I guess ^^
:icongalvanaut:
Galvanaut Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah I mean, if I had your skills...brbrbrbrhrhfhfhghgrr! If you get my drift.
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's hard to really answer a question like that, since it all has to do with how the person handles their popularity, skill level, etc. I've seen people improve in amazing ways, get noticed, and still keep their humble personalities. On the flip side, I've seen people improve in amazing ways, get noticed, let their egos get inflated to impossible means, develop a bad case of USI, and become absolute trash. Not only in personality but also, specifically here on deviantart, the artist uses their popularity as a excuse to become lazy. And oh so slowly you start to see their work dwindle into nothing.
There are also those who act like their work is flawless, and will pounce tooth and nail if you even SLIGHTLY point out something may be wrong.

Some artists have a valid excuse for little interaction. I know a lot of people who use this site to park their art simply to show it to other people in RL. They start off not being in the online community, and they never really become a part of it.
There are also the people who start off early here, score jobs and commissions and become so busy they simply can't answer every single user.
Though there are definitely those who look down on people with less skill and only acknowledge the users who are fit for their standards.
When dealing with people there is no way to really explain why they do the things they do. It's just the way people are, in and out of the art world. You just have to learn tricks to know what kind of person you are dealing with.
:iconastralseed:
Astralseed Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
Very well said! I have to agree especially with "And oh so slowly you start to see their work dwindle into nothing." as I've seen it happen time and time again unfortunately.
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's a sad thing to see. But in the end it shows who's capable of handling a professional career in art and who isn't. In my opinion anyway.
I guess you're right on that last sentence. You never really know why people act the way they do.
I was just interested in other users' experience with this kind of thing, and their thoughts about it... probably from a more psychological kind of view.
:iconzazill:
Zazill Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Aaah, popularity, a gift and a curse
I guess you're right...
:iconhiyoi:
hiyoi Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
I think it has to do with popularity more than skill level. There was this one deviant and when I first found him he was pretty nice but recently he's gotten pretty popular and kind of arrogant and bitchy. But then he pretends to be all nice to get people on his side. There are few other deviants I know who are becoming like this, too. I know not everyone's like that but I've seen quite a few arrogant, rude popular folks as opposed to skilled ones(though the two often go hand in hand).

The really skilled artists I think just seem cold because they often don't have time to reply to comments and interact with their watchers.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This is actually quite sad... that popularity is causing people to become arrogant assholes :(
:iconhiyoi:
hiyoi Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
It is quite sad but but but they're still young and will probably grow out of it...hopefully.
And there are lots of other people who doesn't let popularity go to their heads so that's good.
:iconladycanis:
LadyCanis Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
A good artist is never satisfied with their work... that's what helps them evolve. If you think your art is fantastic then you will stagnate and probably never get anywhere as an artist. See, this is the problem with our generation. We think that with minimal effort and the occasional pat on the head, that the world owes them something other than a butt kicking. It's unfortunate that we have the likes of the cast of Jersey Shore and Justin Bieber-- rare exceptions to the rule, who sky-rocketed to fame and fortune with about as much talent as what my cat leaves in her litter box.

Take a look throughout history at the ones who have created true masterpieces. Most died destitute and dissatisfied. They were always reaching for improvement. While, yes, there are instances of arrogant personalities that thrived in the art world... but you are a far, far reach from the likes of Picasso or Henri Rousseau.

If you stopped your grandstanding put that effort into learning the techniques and rules of composition and colour, you might actually be worthwhile the bus fare to go to the local gallery for.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
While it's true that most good artists suffer from perfectionism, and that's (at least for some) the major drive to get better, I don't see why anybody should reflect this vision on another person, without getting asked to do so.
Unlike what you might think when you see my gallery, I have very high standards on what I think is good. But those are my standards, and I won't force anybody other than myself to live up this harsh idea of 'never being good enough', unless I'm specifically told to do so.

I realize very well that not all people are motivated the same way. Some of us are motivated by harsh comments, others by compliments. Acting the wrong way, can actually kill somebody's motivation. That's why I never do so.
:iconladycanis:
LadyCanis Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Oops... i meant that for illastrat. >.< I'm still getting used to this high-fangled google machine doo-dad stuff.
:iconkoui:
Koui Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012   General Artist
that's odd because the most arrogant artists I've run into are not the good ones, most of the good artists are pros who have better people skills than that and tend to be open when critiqued or even questioned about art in general

I think the problem is that they're really busy working and may not have time to comment on everything said to them, plus if they're popular there are hundreds of people just like you who are commenting on their work and asking for crit or advise. Imagine if you had 500+ comments every day on how awesome you are, I doubt you would be able to give them all a piece of your time XD
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So what defines the difference between 'the not-so-good and arrogant' ones and the 'truly skilled'. Because, to me, they both have amazing artwork.
Or is it just something that I fail to see because my own level of art isn't that high? T__T
:iconkoui:
Koui Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   General Artist
perhaps it's your own perceptions; what you define as good, may also reflect on your own goals. and usually you can sort of tell what kind of personality good artists have based on how they reply to people in general:

Good non-arrogant artists tend to be more strait forward with their stuff, making it clear that they are making art for either their page or a project and aren't focused on the audience entirely, they also have a collective of similar skilled friends and rarely speak to random people they don't know. Arrogant ones sound like the celebrity head of a [insert deviant]fanclub may reply to every comment and are fond of blocking anyone who gives "negative" feedback even if it's critique that they can use
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
my experience with artists. I find the good/talented artists to be mostly humble. I find those people to be way more open minded and cool to be around. Ive never run across an artist who did really great work and was a dick, they are mostly humble about it...They know their work is good so they dont need to hype themselves up and talk about how dope they are.

Bad artists that ive run across often tend to be more arrogant and have to explain why they are so great. They have to make up for their lack of art skills. I think maturity plays a huge part in attitudes and also how open minded the person is. I find they have a ton of excuses for things that they say they can do but dont apply to their work.

Good artists also know that attitude goes a long way. You have to sell yourself as an artist and people dont like assholes. You get a lot further being nice then being a dick. IN the end customers will not like you other artist will not like you, so id say your pretty effed lol

my 2 cents
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I wonder often why there are skill assholes that I perceive as talented, in the sense of pure skills. It might have to do with my own lack of skill there :/
Add a Comment: