Closed to new replies
December 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Tell me about erasers, please :)

:iconzingam:
Zingam Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
OK. I know what a kneaded eraser is and what it is used for (but if you have a secret about its use, please, share it).

How about natural rubber vs vinyl erasers? I always thought that vinyl erasers are crap. But in a book about drawing the author recommends the vinyl eraser. Is it any good at all?

Are the automatic eraser pens any worth. They are so overpriced around here.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, techniques etc. about erasers - please share. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzingam:
Zingam Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I personally don't see any difference between Faber Castel 18812 PVC-FREE :D and their 7041-20 Natural Rubber Eraser.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Dec 9, 2012  Student General Artist
Three good types of erasers: white, kneeded, and if you can afford it, electric eraser. Mono, pentel (the erasers can be mostly found at japanese stores and perhaps some art stores), kneeded can be anywhere, and electric is only online or some japanese stores.

Eletric is good because it does the rubbing for you.

Pink eraser are only good depending on the paper, because pink tends to smear more then the others.
:iconw1nterra1nst0rm:
w1nterra1nst0rm Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
automatic eraser pens: totally worth it if your going super detailed!

eraser preference: I prefer to use both those white high-polymer erasers
and kneaded erasers because they damage your paper less

[link]

[link]

hope this is helpful :)
:iconyusakujon3:
YusakuJon3 Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
These are what I use:
  • Prismacolor kneader rubber.  Used mostly for graphite pencil work, especially since I switched for softer grades (2B/HB).  The technique is to sketch lightly, then add heavier strokes for the final stage of the drawing, erasing the lighter strokes.  The advantage here is being able to shape the eraser to suit the area you're working on.

• Faber-Castell vinyl plugs for eraser "pens" and electric erasers.  Used primarily for getting rid of those excess pencil strokes which remain after the ink has dried fully.  (I rarely do this, though, as I use a lightbox setup where I ink a sheet of Bristol board laid over the pencil drawing.)
:iconlaurenhiya21:
laurenhiya21 Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I honestly don't really know the difference between rubber and vinyl, but right now I only use the Factis OV12 "soap" eraser (looks like this: [link]) and it erases nearly everything and lasts for a very long time (even with a lot of use).
It's pretty fairly priced in my area as well... (oh and I think it's a rubber eraser...)
:iconmystic-serat:
It depends on what you're doing. I use both. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Vinyl erasers, when they're old can leave streaks and can never come off the paper no matter how many times you go over it, the same can be said for rubber ones. However, rubber ones can pick up more (depending on the paper) than vinyl. I wouldn't stick with just one type because someone said so. Get one of each and try what's best for you. Erasers are usually used to clean up errors, they're drawing tools too.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Dec 6, 2012   Digital Artist
I use a Steadtler or a Faber Castell rubber. Just the rectangular type. I use it for fixing mistakes, I've never used a rubber for shading or making highlights. A trick is to clean it on a spare sheet of paper so it rubs out cleaner without smudging. I use the sharp corners on the unused end for fixing tiny mistakes in hard to reach places. :D
:iconopiumtraum:
I use a bunch of different erasers. I like the Staedler white vinyl (Mars Plastic)eraser as my general go to eraser. I use a semi-crappy Sakura battery-powered eraser for certain effects, and I rely super heavily on Faber Castel "perfection" erasers (essentially ink erasers with bristles on the end). I use it to create lights/highlights in airbrushed areas, & to deal with stubborn graphite erasing issues. I've found you can sometimes get a half decent color pencil erasure by lifting as much pigment as you can w/ a kneaded eraser, then go into it with the Staedler vinyl...unless you've already gone heavy- then it's time to test your skills with an xacto knife/razor blade...always fun having to resort to them...

word of warning with the Staedler...sometimes pigment sticks to it...you go to erase something & get a greasy smear instead...so rub it on a spare piece of paper first, just to be sure.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Dec 6, 2012  Professional General Artist
I have 3 erasers I primarily use.

1. The kneaded, for obvious reasons. It is not only meant for erasing details, it's also an essential tool for creating realistic highlights.
2. When I am erasing a larger eara I like the gummy eraser. It erases well and cleanly.
3. An eraser pen. I use to erase very small details.
:iconblue-like-the-sky:
Blue-like-the-Sky Dec 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Atm I'm using erasers by FaberCastell on kneaded eraser and the simple white ones (which I am actually hoarding because I love them). I use the kneaded eraser mainly when I want to erase only smal parts or only get the lines to be lighter. The other one erases fantastically without destroying the paper to much :D but isn't much good for details.
Add a Comment: