Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

Underwhelming

:icondtkinetic:
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think it's safe to say that all artists go here, regardless of skill-level, age, student vs professional etc.

That moment when you think you got a wonderful idea in your head, and you apply the concept and your knowledge of skill to the paper, and ultimately it just falls short of that wonderful idea and doesn't translate well from your head. It happens when I'm writing all the time :worry:
So, what do you do when you find your work is underwhelming or what do you think is the cause? (It may not always be skill level)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsareth1337:
Sareth1337 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah, I know that feeling all the time...
I've got a pretty active and picture-filled and based mind, but everytime I try to bring it down it looks... well 'underwhelming' to put it charitivly...
(argh, fingers why don't you match the lines on paper with the ones in my head >.<)
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lol, glad we're on the same page :handshake:
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Not really, not anymore at least. When it comes to architectural things I can usually do anything I want, as long as I have enough time (a few months perhaps?) and patience. The amount that the finished product falls a little short is sometimes the part of it that makes it fun- I don't believe in reproducing photographs, so I consider the effects that clearly make it a drawing and not a photo are an important feature of a drawing. If I was just creating a photo with nothing different from the reference, then why I am I wasting all this time? Why not just print the photo on a piece of paper and be done with it?
I don't believe in "skill level" either. If I really want to draw a certain thing, like a realistic portrait of a real person- well some more practice and I'd probably be able to do it. But I don't want to. It's not what I find enjoyable and not what I want to express. Part of me also believes the children who waste their time on stupid cartoons could also draw a decent portrait- with the right teaching and patience and practice. The choice not to is theirs.
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That was well said, and it brought some different angles to the conversation. I like your viewpoints on the topic :nod:
:iconjay-jay3:
Jay-Jay3 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I suppose it depends on how focused I am on the idea in question. If I'm tossing around an idea, or a thought, and it doesn't come out
right on paper, then I keep trying again until it somewhat resembles what I'm picturing in my head. If it's something I really want to
do well on, and it fails...I normally just give up and move on to another idea or thought. It's probably not the most productive way
to do things, but that's been my method ever since I picked up a pencil.
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, if it works for you, I'm not going to be against it =)
I will have to admit, if the idea isn't clear or something that doesn't readily excite me or motivate me, I'd probably disregard it, because it probably won't be one of my best works.

On the other hand, if it did, and it still didn't turn out right...if I had the time/patience I would redo/restart or come back after I've improved.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I stopped trying to imagine the specific appearance of things a while ago for this exact reason. now I just imagine the feeling it gives off and I try to meet it halfway with my work.
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's one way to go :nod:
:iconwhomax:
WhoMax Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This happens all the time, usually I will just give up and try again another day. I think, most of the time, it is because I rush into it too quickly because I am eager to transfer the idea to paper/canvas.
Yeah, walking away from it for a bit does give the idea time to refresh and develop a little better :nod:
:iconbonniemarie:
Bonniemarie Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Traditional Artist
Oh this happens with me all the time! I find that once I have a brilliant idea in my head then do it on paper and it turns out a bit crappy I'm actually sick of the idea by that point. SO i just take a deep breath and move onto something else.
But at the same time everyone else who views my work reacts to it really well and usually loves it, so that kinda makes me feel better. However if they had seen the idea in my head they might not be so impressed with the finished piece.. haha!

To be fair though sometimes I'll do a piece of work and I'll think wow thats pretty rad if I do say so myself! It just goes both ways.

To give you advice I'd say whatever you do, and however you feel about it afterwards, no matter what, just keep going, not many people are creative and brave enough to translate their ideas into something 'real'. Just keep going!
I'm glad you can relate. :nod: And yes, now that you mention it I pretty much have similar experience with reactions of showing my work to other people too.

And that is encouraging advice, I'll tell you now I'll stick with it and keep going =)
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I'm nearly always underwhelmed, except by sketches I had no expectation for anyway.
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I hear you there :nod:
:iconmiasmic-mind:
miasmic-mind Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
usually when i get to a point where i feel something isn't finished and i just don't know what to do, i'll stop for the day and pick back up on it later and then i'm usually ok. i'll also show what i have so far to artist friends and see if they have any advice/critiques.
I agree, it's always good to take a break and get second opinions. =)
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I think it's safe to say that everybody goes there occasionally. I'm sure there's lots of people who look at a picture of a delicious meal in a cookbook, spend a bunch of time cooking and then pull out something that doesn't look, smell or taste anything like they imagined. Or they imagine impressing someone at the next party with a trick they're learning only to have it fail miserably. In fact I think disappointment is something that happens frequently to everybody and you should deal with artistic disappointment much the same way as you deal with a burnt Thanksgiving turkey. If you eventually want to succeed then you try to figure out what went wrong so you can avoid it next time, and if you don't care if you ever succeed then you throw it in the trash and pretend the whole thing never happened.
Lol, I gotta like and relate to those comparisons :nod:
Plenty of other examples I could probably think up myself :XD:
Thanks for the input, it gives me insight.
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I have a creeping suspicion that that "underwhelmed" feeling is universal. I know I usually feel like I've fallen short of my idea. I see all the bits that could've been done better.

I've had to seriously adjust my attitude & my behavior toward my art. My first question- does it suck? If not, consider leaving it alone. I've come back to drawings I thought weren't so great that a few months later I'm less critical of. My second question- what'll it take to fix it? Hopefully, you'll know when to stop. Third question- Am I finished? And if the answer is yes- step away from the drawing/painting. I know I've fixed a few drawings to death. While I may not feel like doing a victory dance when something's finished, if I can feel at least fairly satisfied...that's gotta be good enough (the feeling, not necessarily the drawing :})

Sometimes though, you just have to admit to yourself that somewhere you made a bad decision & your drawing just ain't cutting it. Figure out where you went wrong- don't do it again.
That's pretty nice criteria and like your method of thinking, you came off very with a very composed and realistic approach :thumbsup: :nod:
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
And imagining things better than you could implement them might not be that bad actually, on the contrary if you can do exactly what you imagine, it might mean that either you lack imagination or that you are stale. Not so good, eh :D
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The only thing you could do is either to try harder (before that you should try to analyze what went wrong and why) or give up what you do altogether. ;) Yeah, it is that simple! Try harder or find yourself another business.
Definitely not giving it up :no:
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Then good luck!
Thanks =D
:iconmorebud:
Morebud Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
It's usually because of my skill level so I hit the books.
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Study hard! :XD:
:iconhawkbit:
Hawkbit Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Practice on thatīs the main thing.
You can also look for advice...find new ways to learn find out where you have to imnprove...and so on. And drawing should always be fun. Donīt start hating you art.
When you do what you think is best itīs fine although there are some mistakes. Eberyone does them ^^
Sounds like good advice to me :nod:
:iconhawkbit:
Hawkbit Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I hope so ;) Good luck to you. ^^
:iconpaulcellx:
Paulcellx Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I remember that someone told me that "What you put on paper will never be what you had in mind. So be prepared for everything.". I get mentally ready for that. But indeed i save all those ideas when i get the apropiate skill!
I hear you :nod:
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Accept that it was a bad drawing and move on. Ideas are only one thing though, the rest is process where the idea actually becomes something and often something entirely different than the idea that sparked it.
I can relate to that :nod:
:iconwyntry:
Wyntry Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I look at it like a computer repair technician. (That being what I got my degree in. Lol.) If there is some problem usually connecting the image in your mind to the paper you see, then you probably need to find some inspiration and wirelessly apply your idea through a different path. Whether it is a different media, pose, expression, or altering the whole entire idea and not posting anything until you are sure it is decent enough to do so. It's a pain in the butt, but you get your ideas eventually on paper. Just takes time.
That's quite an interesting analogy :XD: But it does make a good amount of sense. Maybe there are just adjustments to be made :nod:
:iconwyntry:
Wyntry Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Maybe. I hope it helps.
It does, thank you :nod:
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What you just described is the most annoying thing in the world! What I normally do, is carry out with the idea anyway. Sometimes, I practice it a bit and mess around with it some, until it looks similar to the original idea or is acceptable on its own. I think for me, what I put down on paper becomes underwhelming because of my skill level, my expectations of what it is going to look like, and because sometimes...I think ideas just get lost in translation in general when they go from mind to paper.
Yeah, sometimes carrying forward does bring about good progress :nod:
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think so, it has helped me out some. At times though it can totally backfire and the picture still comes out underwhelming. xD
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
I stopped thinking of ideas in my head a long time ago. Because it never ever comes out right on paper.

So when I even get a whisp of an idea, I start drawing it with thumbnails and sketches, and instead of thinking in my head "the dress could look like this" I draw it down as I'm imagining it, so you can tell immediately if it looks good or not, and if it doesn't what you have to change to make it better.

If you can't see it on paper/screen/wherever you draw, then you're going to struggle with it when it comes to putting it down.
Well, believe it or not, it's a technique that I already do.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional General Artist
It might be just my personality or whatever but I just don't get that attached to ideas in my head, so I don't get disappointed by work when I get it drawn out. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't I just assess why it doesn't do it again and again until it works.

Simple things like if the drawing isn't working well when I do it in pencil, the faces are crappy or something, one of two things, the design isn't right, so the character will never look right, or I'm using the wrong medium so try something else. Like I should be using blocks of colour instead of coloured in lineart. Or real paint instead of digital.

There's always a solution to every visual problem.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In my case, it goes for drawing, and it's certainly lack of skills.
I just get into the corner of my room, cry until satisfied, get up and try again. The only way to get rid of lack of skills is practice anyway ~__~
Wow, that sounds...so sad =(

A little too dramatic actually, pick yourself up! :XD:
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lol XD
I like to dramatize things, just for the fun of it. Don't worry, I'm not really crying. I'm just terribly frustrated at times =P
Add a Comment: