Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Is it possible to mix charcoal, pencil and color pencil?

:iconincueye:
Incueye Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
I am drawing Joker from the Dark Knight. I'm shading it with a pencil but I wanted to make the drawing stand out by coloring the background with charcoal and using charcoal to darken some of the dark shades.

As for the color pencil, I wanted to just color the lips red.

I just don't know if that's a good idea to mix media like that.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmssharra:
MsSharra Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
OOo~ I can't wait to see the picture! o u o

I would suggest trying it out on scratch paper first because art is in the eye of the beholder.
Incueye Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
I can't wait to finish it. I'm trying to add every detail to the drawing from the photo. It's time-consuming, but once I'm done it'll be worth it!
MsSharra Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
OMG! Then I am even more excited to see it!
I love doing detail in pictures.
So i bet your picture will be fantastic.
Incueye Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
I finally finish the artwork, I will upload it soon.

I just need to put a board around it, but I'm too afraid to do that. The drawing is for my art class. It's the final project. Even though it's smaller than what the teacher want. >.>;;
MsSharra Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
YAY! i can't wait!
Ha ha ha, lucky.
I have an art class right now, but the teacher quite so it's no stop subs and no art at all! Q n Q
I am really looking forward to your art though!
Lol, it's all right if it's smaller.
It will be awesome!
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012   General Artist
Charcoal may looks strange applied with pencil because it will have a very different texture and colour quality. It is matte, whereas graphite is shiny.

There is nothing to stop you trying, though. Make a test sheet and see for yourself how they interact and whether you think it looks weird.

One thing is that you may want to apply the charcoal last, as you may have trouble applying coloured pencil over charcoal.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Student General Artist
Charcoal is not a good idea to mix with graphite if your making an intial sketch. They tend to shine through (unless you want it that way). Wax pencils like color pencils, not sure.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
try it and see.
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I had to do a couple of projects for my Drawing II class with charcoal and colored pencil, it came out amazing! I say go for it, charcoal and colored pencil look great together. As for adding graphite, I say go for that too! Here's a piece I did a year ago, I used both pencil and charcoal to do it. Good luck!

[link]
Incueye Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
That looks really neat! The background is super black! I want my background to be super black like that. O:
I'll try it out on a piece of scrap paper. I never mixed media like this before, so this will be the first. That's if I like how the pencil and charcoal mix together.
Add a Comment: