Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Sunrise Shadows In Perspective

:iconlihimsidhe:
lihimsidhe Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Hello everyone. I'm working on some art and have encountered an issue with drawing shadows generated by a sunrise in proper perspective. I uploaded a very basic version here:

[link]

Now before you say, "Just Google it!" I found this link here:

[link]

The thing about that link is that it's so densely packed full of information I have a hard time understanding it. If someone can break it down for me that would be great AND/OR provide their own two cents that would be great.

You'll notice that there are two black circles with two white dots in the center. These are the light vanishing point and shadow vanishing point. The LVP is supposed to be in the center of the light source and the SVP is located on the horizon line directly below the LVP.

Specifically what I can't figure out is how long the shadows are supposed to be in this setup. I understand the connection to the SVP but how the SVP relates to other elements I'm not so sure.

Depending on the help I get I will turn this into a blog post. Let me know if you'd like to be credited for the help you provide.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

@Pyrochan-dolls: The sun is large. Yes. However, even if the sun was sized normally I still don't know the rules. What I do know is whether large or normal I still have the Light Vanishing Point in place. How the LVP interacts with other unknown perspective elements is what I'm after.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional General Artist
it's all a straight line. Light travels in straight lines from the source to the edge of the object to the floor or wall it's casting a shadow on.
@Pyrochan-dolls: I had a feeling that the shadows would run clear of the page. When I was 100% winging it I was drawing the shadows contained entirely on the page. It's then I recalled plenty of sunrises and sunsets where my shadow would be cast along the ground for dozens of feet.

Your picture is a great example showing the problem I'm trying to solve. However, it's still unclear how long the total shadow needs to be as well as the individual parts of the shadow. For example how would it be properly determined where to start drawing the lowest branch on the tree shadow? There is a method I just don't know it.
were it my picture I would draw the lines on there.

The thing you've made difficult for yourself is having such a large sun. As in the photo the sun isn't actually that big. So you're going to have to take some artistic license and just make it up.

and I know this is a tree but see how the shadow just gets bigger, much bigger than the tree itself, and comes right off the page because the photographer is stood in it.
I forgot to add that I realize that this is a curved perspective but if we can establish what works for a non curved perspective I can adequately 'wing it'. Also there is a third VP all the way to the left. It's a measuring point but I don't think we need to worry about that for right now.
Well if we think of the viewer as a camera lens

Because your figure is actually in the middle of the light source you would still be in the shadow as the camera lens, so the shadow would actually continue off the page. If you drew a straight line that connected the vanishing point to the feet and just carried it running on, the bit that's running on is the shadow right til it falls offf the page.
Add a Comment: