Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Anatomy Help: Working with the "Hey Baby" Pose!!!

:iconruuku-kabe:
Ruuku-Kabe Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Alright, so I'm not posting this because I haven't been practicing anatomy or because I suck at it. I'm posting this cause I'm working on a conceptual pose for one of my characters, and honestly I'm having a hard time making look like I want to. It's for a manga I'm working on, and I want to go ahead and start getting the style engrained in my head with this character so the character conceptualization/creation process won't be as much of a drag out as it is with this guy.

The link to the current progress is here in my stash:
[link]

I won't proclaim to be awesome at anatomy (and ignore the crappy placeholder hand), but I'm decent enough that I can create characters that look better than most. Not being cocky, just sayin. ^_^
My issues with this particular character is that I'll get the lines and anatomy right... but then this 16 year old, lanky freerunner from Kyoto whose very motto is "Stay light, stay quick!" Looks like freakin Broly. I'd like some advice on the best way to 'simplify" the anatomy of a character, so as to make them more stylized, I guess you could say.
And also I'm having a hard time aligning the center of his chest... not really sure why. It's never been an issue before.
The rest of it will fall into place I feel once I have some more of his form pinned down.

So, advice on simplifying the anatomy and aligning the chest center would be AWESOME!!! Yes, I know, I'm a newbie, and some of you may say "Just study your frikin anatomy more ya *bleepity bleepity bleep-bleep-bleep...". But as you can see I'm getting the general form down, so it's only minor things that I'm having trouble with.

Thanks in advance for anyone who gives me advice! ^_^

P.S. Also, once you look at the WIP, if you know of any images/tutorials/references that could help me with that finger point hand pose, PLEASE send it my way!!! I'm using my hand for reference atm but it just isn't working. So help with that would be awesome too! Thanks! XD

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Oh, by the way. I just found out about this. Luis Escobar has been a storyboard artist for the Simpsons for a long time. Now he's opened a free online drawing class: [link]

It starts from level Zero, the basics of the basics.
Ruuku-Kabe Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Wow! Sounds interesting!!! I'll give it a look! ^_^
:iconartfromnike:
artfromnike Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
If you're looking for anatomical simplicity, there's a book that might work for you. And it's cheap, because it's paperback and it's from 1962, lol. It's called "Drawing the Head and Figure" by Jack Hamm.

You can find this book at your local Barnes and Noble, but it's cheaper online. The most expensive one I saw online was a little over $10, and I found one as cheap as $5. There are also PDFs for it.

You said you wanted advice on aligning the chest. Well, that's basically how this book teaches you. For every single body part, there's a measurement tool. For example, it shows you where the mouth goes by aligning its corners with a part of the eyes. It teaches you basic body shapes by drawing line-drawn scales. He uses circles, diamonds and other shapes to mark where certain bodily features go. And there's a bit of text next to all the pictures explaining how to do it. This makes it ideal for visual and auditory learners, because they can either look at the pictures, read how to do it, or both. It also shows you specifics on individual parts that people often have trouble with, like the hands, feet, face, hair, etc. And it teaches you how to draw different ages, from children to adults to the elderly. And it's all done very simplistically.

As long as you don't mind 50s style women's hair-dos, this book is fantastic. Oh yeah, and he has another book called "Cartooning the Head and Figure." This might work better for you since you're doing a manga. But I haven't seen that particular book myself. Anyway, "Drawing the Head and Figure" made it really simple to learn, and his tricks for remembering scales and measurement were really great.
Thank you!!! I'll definitely give that a look. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll see if I can find both. I don't want to limit myself to 'just' simple manga bodies, so a detailed knowledge of anatomy and how to draw it will be a big help!!!

Thank you very much! I'll let ya know how my search goes! ^_^
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Block out the chest first then and build from that. Just sketching the outlines won't really give you a lot of control over the volumes itself since you are literally just drawing the edges. This could help you shape the body as you want a lot easier since you aren't guessing as much where things should be based on a stick figure frame. The finished lines is just the end product.
Gotcha. I guess when I tried doing simpler anatomy I kind of got carried away with "simplicity". Thanks, I'll try that out!
And as far as reference for the hand, I'm still stuck on how to do that. Lol. My hand is kind of jacked up from a car crash so I can't do that position without crammping up. :/
Add a Comment: