Closed to new replies
December 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 52

anybody else hate DA as much as me?

:iconnewhumandevotion:
NewHumanDevotion Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student General Artist
You think you're talented, you think you can draw then you come on here and are totally proved wrong...

I love this site but it hurts sometimes to feel your not as good as any one else...

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Please read the Forum Posting Guidelines before posting as this does not encourage discussion and should be in your journal. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
:iconkhirate:
Khirate Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you hated it, you wouldn't be here.
Also, feeling pathetic about your art is no way to improve.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
First off, this doesn't belong here, it belongs in complaints.

Second, nobody is forcing you to be here.

And third, realizing your art isn't amazing is the first step to getting better.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,
All that matters is that you practice so you will be better tomorrow than you are today.
:iconharkins:
harkins Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
There's really two ways to react to it. You either get totally discouraged or motivated to get better. I've experienced both feelings to be honest, but as I've gotten older I guess it's more motivation than anything.

It pains me to say, but it's a very competitive business, so it's either step it up or get trampled on. I'll try the former for a while lol.

Latest work:

:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
It's a shame you spent the time adding your thumbnails in reply to this post. The OP deactivated their account lol. But thanks for sharing anyway!
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
I've seen the exact same set of thumbnails in another post. He must be copying and pasting them from somewhere.
:iconnatsumoka:
natsumoka Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Account deactivated.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
That was a bit of an overreaction.... lol
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Digital Artist
I guess she couldn't handle seeing people with better art than her. :iconjackiechanface1plz::iconjackiechanface2plz:
:iconnoodleboxtv:
NoodleboxTV Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Filmographer
Or found a site that better. :X Like Cghub, Imagefx, and Pixiv.
Ooh, I'll investigate those sites, I've never heard of them. :)
Unless you're fluent at Japanese, I wouldn't say Pixiv is better. And I prefer conceptart over cghub. Dunno about imagefx though.

dA is like the place to hug some popularity, while you learn and improve at conceptart/cghub
Conceptart feels too academic and they hate anime compare to CGHub. Pixiv has english and it's not too bad, the interface of browsing IS WAY friendlier compare Deviantart, making it way easier to navigate, and it doesn't spam the same image over and over again when you're viewing the next page like deviantart does.
Ah, I didn't notice the anime hate in conceptart. I prefer conceptart because it seems more lively.

I agree with the interface of Pixiv. I also like how they always seem to be hosting some kind of contest. I don't use it often though cause it feels as though no one speaks English there.
Yes, I have heard of concept art (Because of a troll who used to have a conceptart account) I've been meaning to investigate because they seem to give really good critiques there, which I've found lacking at DA.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
A warning about Conceptart.org- if you ever have any problems you're out of luck. Their site support is nonexistant. I had massive problems twice while making accounts (over a period of a couple years, since I walked away the first time and didn't go back until someone convinced me to try it again), I'd get login info and stuff but have issues with posting or whatever, try to contact help, and never hear back. The first time I tried repeatedly for three months before giving up, the second time when it started screwing up I walked. I did finally get an account last year, but the limits on portfolio size and requirements to make thumbnails and stuff is just to much of a pain for me to mess with.
Hmm, sounds annoying. Thanks for the heads up, I'll investigate.
Yeah, they do give good critiques. I've got about 4 or 5 in a topic I posted after just a day.
:eager: Ooh, sounds good. Deviantart is very good for making friends, but not so much for hardcore critique. Is it mainly for concept art though, or regular illustration too?
Yeah, people post illustrations there, and 3D too.
(1 Reply)
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Don't get competitive. Everyone who does anything has someone better than them out there. Even if they are the top of their field right now, everyone coming up wants to be better than them, and whatever they were doing that was "wow" is overshadowed.

But nope, does not bother me that other's are better than I am. If I want to get as good as someone else, I admire their style, take inspiration from their work, and work on my skills. This can take years, but it can be fun years, if you are focused on what you are doing, rather than how much better someone else is.
You're not the best artist on da and you're not the worst either. Neither am i. Sitting around feeling sorry for itself and complaining you arent as good as professional artists who draw for hours every day for years isn't going to achieve anything. Be proud of the skill you have and be thankful you have access to this resource that allows you to share your art and learn from talented artists for free . Practice your art, learn new things and make friends.
hahahahahahaha skill???? what skill?????
Your attitude is pathetic. Have fun at your pity party, mate. Nobody has time for this. If you really think you suck that much, go and improve rather than crying about "poor little me isn't good at art."
:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Feeling sorry for yourself doesn't get you anywhere in life. You need to keep practicing to get to where you want to be. None of the people here on DA became good artists over night, it takes years of patient practice, and also the help of others in the form of well written critique to improve. There are people out there willing to help you improve your art. Remember that there is always someone out there that's worse than you.
who is willing to help/
:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My suggestion would be to find a good critique group or two to submit your art to. There will be people there willing to offer you tips on improving. Some may come across as harsh, but they mean well. Also post your art in the thumbshare forum and ask specifically for tips to aid improvement.
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Only one person can be the best, and one person can be the worst, and even that is open to opinion. The rest of us can be content to keep improving and find our niche.

Where are you looking on DeviantART. The art in the popular section represents the TINY percentage of art on this site that tons of people like. The art that gets submitted to groups represents artists who are dedicated enough to not only keep submitting art, but keep submitting it to groups. If you want to feel better about your art, browse "newest", but I'd recommend focusing on more positive things instead like working at your art or connecting with people on the site.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I've learned it's a safe bet to assume that there's countless thousand of people everywhere better at X than I am. Of course! There's 6 billion people on the planet.

But if I liked bicycling, I wouldn't give up on it because I wasn't Lance Armstrong. I'd just keep riding that bike to the best of my ability.

Hobbies aren't contests.
true but a piece of art is just lines on the page... why can't i do the same
:iconblackroseangel89:
blackroseangel89 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Photographer
Art is not just lines on a page. The quality of a drawing for example is (mostly) determined by layers, Amount of pressure applied and fine tuning details. You have to train your eye and hand to work these three things out properly. Same as a weightlifter has to work his muscles, a singer has to work their muscles etc.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
shininginthedarkness Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
The same reason I can't type War and Peace by closing my eyes and going
SIOjpsofjgpodjfoaeisrjpoaweuirsoijdfaseoipjdSDf
:iconerspears:
erspears Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional
If you can't accept the fact that you're not, nor will you ever be, the best at something, then you're not cut out for art. There is nothing to be gained by feeling sorry for yourself.

It's good that you recognize that your work isn't as good as you thought it was. Now get to work and get better.
i dont want to be the best! just hate feeling like the worst...... quietly average would be fine
Dude, you clearly can't read. IF YOU WANT YOUR WORK TO BE BETTER, STOP FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF AND GET TO WORK. This whole "wahh, I'm not talented, seeing people make better work than me makes me sad" thing you're doing is pathetic. There is no point to it. It's counterproductive.
all well and good saying that but its not easy getting past it
You massive pussy.
I kind of hate DA, it's just that there are sites better than DA but they are really underrated. And DA owns monopoly and are spoiled by magazines supporting them, I'm not sure why there any competitive sites against DA. The only competitive site is Pixiv because I really the enhance 'tag' system but they are in East. So far Pixiv, CGHub, and ImagineFX are the only real places worth to go.
i did not know they existed.... thank you very much!!
:iconblackroseangel89:
blackroseangel89 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Photographer
Improvement is a never ending journey. Even the master artists are looking ahead. To me, I see art that is better then mine as a challenge and something to aspire to. It would be pretty boring to be as good as you'll ever be, don't you think?
:icondaker777da:
Daker777DA Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There are PROFESSIONAL people here, and think like this, people are here because they like art or because they are artists, so a lot of people here will be good with art, but the people that is not good with art you donīt notice them, or they are not here, every good drawer is here, you are talented if you can have the level the people have here
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
It all depends on my own personal self confidence.

I have a great network on dA, and it doesn't matter I'm not the best artist ever but I'm getting better all the time.

What makes dA worth it for me is the people I meet and talk to via the forums and through my Art. The community and the range of work is fantastic. If I didn't have dA I'd still be painting and drawing but if I didn't have dA I'd be all the poorer in friends.
ah well you are lucky to have the network then
Networking starts simply by talking. And I like talking. :P
i wouldn't even know where to start... socially inept in reality too...
the forums is a good place :D And simply commenting on journals and artworks with something useful to say not just "nice" will get you a nice comment back. Any time anyone says anything on my work I comment back nicely and sometimes you get a good conversation going.

I watch a lot of the community volunteers as well so I get involved in events they run too. Generally be nice and people are nice back :D
will bear it in mind :)
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Then don't think about trying to look good and do what you can.
i don't think its about trying to look good....

more about feeling shit about your self
Add a Comment: