Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

As a traditional artist....

:iconmy-road-to-awe:
My-Road-To-Awe Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
... how do you feel about the increasing popularity of digital art?

Do you feel any pressure to start getting into digital art?

I recently invested in a tablet(the bamboo splash, which was an investment for a poor college student)for a class I had to take and am actually enjoying more than I thought I would.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondannyovt:
dannyovt Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
About 2 months ago I decided to begin using digital art out need. Currently I am facing financial difficulties that are making it difficult for me to acquire art materials. Traditional art requires a lot of trial and error which equals investing in materials. Digital art cuts downs on cost considerably compared to traditional art.

Digital art comes with its own sets of challenges though. Digital art allows for more freedom that won't transalate to "oops I just wasted all my titanium white!" or "I am down to half my white colored pencil already :(".

Anyways what I currently doing is drawing the basic designs on paper, scanning it and then coloring/modifying it with digital tools. Its been a lot of fun so far. Traditional will always feel more personal though and that is what I love about it.
:iconpuppeteer-for-kings:
puppeteer-for-kings Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm currently studying Graphic Design, I find that about 90% of the other students (who are illustratively inclined) tend to use digital methods. I find that using traditional techniques in my work actually gives me a bit of an edge - it makes my work stand out! I've had a few of the other students come up to me and ask me how I've created my work, which I find strange. It seems that many creative people these days are progressing from sketching straight to digital painting or vector work, without learning the traditional techniques. My teachers encourage us to experiment with traditional techniques - just not many of the students do, it seems.
I do feel a bit of pressure to work digitally though; it seems we need to be competent in it if we expect to get work. I sometimes have the urge to create things digitally, but I much prefer painting with real paints. So there is pressure there to improve my digital skills.
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
I started digital this january and I have never been able to truly grasp it. I'm mostly traditional, digital art for me is just rough sketching, drafting, and doodling for fun.

I haven't really been pressured to switch completely. :)

However I am not quite fond of the increasing popularity. :stare: Digital art is great! But hey, there's beautiful traditional work that is under appreciated.
:iconant1-her0-project:
Ant1-Her0-Project Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I used to look down on it, because I have little interest in learning the medium myself, but over the past year, I've seen some beautiful work by very talented people, and now recognize it as just another medium. I actually look forward to the day I collaborate with a talented digital artist.
:iconsmilkey:
smilkey Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I want to get into digital art because it doesn't waste as much resources as traditional art does. Digital art is getting more and more famous because we are entering a more technology-based phase, and traditional art is left somewhat under appreciated because of its inconveniences.
:icondarthaislin:
DarthAislin Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I think digital art is more popular due to it being easier to get started in. A beginner coloring in Photoshop can sometimes do a better job than a beginner using prismacolors. So once you build your initial base in a certain media, a lot of people like to stick to it.
Myself, I started traditionally, but began to use digital due to money restrictions. I couldn't afford to keep buying prismacolors, and copics, or new sketchbooks. So I just waited some time, purchased a tablet, and started going from there.
I didn't feel any pressure from others, only pressure from my own financial limits I've always experienced.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think the increasing popularity of digital art is interesting. I've never really gotten into it though because I like how it feels to physically draw. The movement keeps me thinking. Sometimes, I've felt some pressure to get into digital art because of the popularity and the fact that knowing art programs is mostly required in the art world now. That being said, I don't depend on art as a source of income, so really . . . digital art is more of an interest and not a need.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I do both traditional and digital work, and I certainly wouldn't drop one for the other :) I love working with pencils, pens and markers, but I love the ease of digital coloring (and certainly more cost effective than constantly having to buy supplies) :giggle:
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional General Artist
Firstly, 'digital art' is just another medium. The same as acrylic to oils.

You could have said "what do you feel about the increasing popularity of screen prints?" for all it mattered.

What does actually matter is how you present whatever it is that you do. If you do digital art and have a physical portfolio and get really crap print outs, no matter how good your picture was on screen the print will be crap so your art will be crap.

The same works in reverse for traditional art being presented on a digital platform (such as deviantart). If you have the best painting in the world ever, but take a crappy cell phone photo, people aren't going to pay any attention to it.

In the end what matters is not what material you choose to make it with, rather what you actually choose to make, and that people are able to appreciate it on the place you choose to share it.
My-Road-To-Awe Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You're right, digital art is just another medium, but it's usually the desired medium for games or movies or comics.
My questions are geared mainly towards people who wish to make money in the field of art, and digital art is in really high demand. For me as a student I'm feeling the pressure. I love drawing and painting and I'll never give that up, but I do wonder if I should also include an emphasis in digital art because it would make finding work easier.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional General Artist
actually comics are still drawn and inked by hand, they are coloured digitally.

Movies and games use concept art, which is all about the person and the idea and how the idea will work for their product. Digital is used because it can be quicker and cheaper depending on the artist, but there are practitioners using acrylics and oils and markers and pencils working in games and animation and films.

Most commercial art, that is illustration, graphic design, concept art, etc has NOT rejected traditional, more that it is a fusion between the two, using what traditional does best paired with what digital does best. Mixed Media Art. Best of all worlds.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Personally, I do not hand color. I have never liked to hand color. Period. I can probably count the number of traditional pieces I've done in color.

But I love color. Which is why I do it digitally. And, for ease, the rest is usually done digitally, too, but I still do alot of work traditionally, it just doesn't get posted.

Digital art is just using different tools. It's the technology of the time.

Think about it- way back when, if you wanted to paint you had to go out, crush some berries or whatever, mix them up, come back and use the cave wall- and if you wanted to show anybody, you had to take them back there.

Then imagine someone from 100 years ago showing up in the same place with 50 bottles of paint, multiple brushes, canvas- not only are all the tools right there, but you can also carry it around and show to people-

Digital art is just the next step using technology. It doesn't mean that people will stop doing it the way they used to. Because art isn't just about the product, and there will always be people who need to have traditional materials to do art, because that's what speaks to them.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I go to an art school. Most the painters I know don't give a damn as long as you aren't an advertising student.
:iconslategreen:
slategreen Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Digital isn't just a trend, it has become an industry standard for those interested in freelancing and professional commercial art careers. It's more of a requirement these days--at least send your finished work via email or on a CD.

Personally I go back and forth between the two--sometimes I'll do my sketches digitally, just do some abstract compositional shapes in photoshop, that kind of thing, then go back to drawing on paper or canvas. Or I might scan in a bunch of painted textures and collage them around in photoshop. That kind of thing. I really like both, actually, but I don't want to be forced to do only one or the other. And I hate being stuck at a computer all day.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Saying digital is just a trend is like saying acrylics are just a trend. :lol:
slategreen Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
And people still paint in oils.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Indeed, a new medium is just another new thing; the popularity of older mediums rarely drops. :nod:
slategreen Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Well.... it depends. Acrylics replaced casein, which was the illustrator and designer's medium of choice for its fast drying time prior to the invention of acrylic emulsion. Oils replaced egg tempera, the major panel painting medium in the 14th c., to the point where it was obsolete until it experienced modest revivals in the past two centuries. Hardly anybody revives casein because it's so inconvenient, and it doesn't have the glamor of, say, illuminated manuscript techniques or Botticelli's egg tempera, which have experienced modest popularity... but only in recent times.

I think there's more freedom for variety at present, and it's variety that will keep old ideas and mediums coming back. And the internet probably helps in the revival of obscure old stuff, anyway. It's still meaningful.
Different eras all have a medium that was most prominent but that doesn't mean it was the only art form that existed. It's just what was popular or most desired at that time. Because we're surrounded with all this technology I do think that digital art is becoming the trend.
That's how I feel. For my project I took my drawings, scanned them in and then added some collage elements and colored in some things. Mixing the 2 was very rewarding for me.
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am mostly a traditional artist but I do a mix depending on the kind of drawing I am aiming to do (portrait vs comic art). My hesitation is that if I do digital I am using a mouse. Because I am doing this as a hobby I haven't yet committed to buying a tablet, but I am very tempted.

I don't really think one art form is better than another. However, its easier to correct for errors or to change something that you don't like in photoshop than it is on paper, bristol, canvas etc. Usually corrections leave marks on traditional surfaces, but not necessarily in digital.
The tablet I got was only about $75 I think. It's pretty basic but perfect for all the things I want. The only difference I've seen with the smaller tablets is the more expensive ones come with different software, but they all work the same. I already had photoshop so I didn't bother paying extra for something with programs that do the same thing.
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hmmm...that gives me something to think about.:meditation:
:iconw01fg4ng:
w01fg4ng Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
In my opinion, traditional art and digital art are very different things, I think traditional art takes more skill to do, not saying that digital art is not a skill, but I'm not very keen on it. Digital art can be amazing but generally, I'm not into it.
That's how I felt about it before I started playing around with it. Now I have the same feelings I have towards it that I do towards photography. Anyone can do it, but you can definitely who has real talent and who is just messing around, and I can really appreciate those with talent.
:iconw01fg4ng:
w01fg4ng Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That's a fair point, there's definitely some with talent
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
What has digital art to do with traditional art? You wouldn't draw using traditional mediums textures for games, movies, commercials and everything that needs to be printed or digitally presented in some form or another. And a real painting will always be more worthy to hang on your wall than some printout.
yes, but I feel the pressure because art is going to be my job. look at all the things that you just mentioned and think of how popular those things are. In my opinion it's easier to find work and be successful if you do digital art because of the high demand.
Paintings do look nicer and you know they'll be originals, but a lot of people don't want to pay for them.
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Do you think that more people would buy a painting at the time when Michelangelo lived? I would say - no. In fact many more people today would buy a painting today than back then. People at least in the developed countries are much better off now than 100 years ago and would consume more art than ever in history. But if you want job security you should work for an industry. So my last point solves your problem practically :D
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
I really like digital art to look at but as far as changing from traditional to digital goes, I don't think I will and I don't feel any pressure to do so.
I have done a couple of digital pieces in the past and to be honest I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy doing traditional, maybe because I don't have a tablet?, but who knows, I just didn't enjoy the process or the results. :shrug:
It might change once you get a tablet, I think they're lots of fun. But I agree, I find more pleasure completing a drawing than I did when I completed my digital piece.
:iconshaunmichaeljones:
ShaunMichaelJones Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012   Traditional Artist
Digital art only seems to be popular here because a lot of people want to be concept artists or Japanese cartoonists. Digital art also seems to be the preffered choice for illustrators these days as well. To be perfectly honest i have tried for years to get into digital art but i dont enjoy it the way i do with real paints. Traditional art can be very forgiving whereas digital art requires you to be precise with every mark you make. I dont plan on giving up on my brushes anytime soon.
I don't either, and for people like us who have already invested money into buying the brushes and paints and pencils and all the other supplies needed, I don't think we'll ever truly give up on traditional.
:icontooliepanna:
tooliepanna Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I got my first tablet several months ago and tried several times. Yes, as you say, you can enjoy it a lot, more even than you thought... but (yup, there's always a but :)) I always have this feeling that there's always moment I start missing traditional tools so much... I mean - digital art is cool, I saw many really amazing works but tradiotional art is closer to the "art' word for me.... :)
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional General Artist
I've started very recently as well into digital art. I've been doing traditional (graphite, colored pencils and oil pastels) for 10 years and I started digital a month ago.

I enrolled in graphic design school because I did feel the pressure. I felt no ill will towards digital, I've been admiring digital work for sometime now, I just preferred doing traditional. When I was wrapping up my semester studying photography I had to choose a new route for the next year. I decided to go with graphic design. I came to the realization that I would have to start studying graphic design if I wanted any practical future. I've been studying for a while and got my tablet a month ago. I really enjoy it. I still love graphite (I am working on a graphite piece right now) but I do really enjoy the tablet. I love the vibrancy and options. I like the learning and tweaking of all of the tools/filters/brushes. I have four paintings and 2 photomanipulations now. Not bad for a month lol.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
When all the computers in the world explode it won't change how I do my work.
My-Road-To-Awe Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
haha so you future proofed your artwork.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I was half joking, but yeah I guess I have.
Add a Comment: