Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 38

As a traditional artist....

:iconmy-road-to-awe:
My-Road-To-Awe Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
... how do you feel about the increasing popularity of digital art?

Do you feel any pressure to start getting into digital art?

I recently invested in a tablet(the bamboo splash, which was an investment for a poor college student)for a class I had to take and am actually enjoying more than I thought I would.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondannyovt:
About 2 months ago I decided to begin using digital art out need. Currently I am facing financial difficulties that are making it difficult for me to acquire art materials. Traditional art requires a lot of trial and error which equals investing in materials. Digital art cuts downs on cost considerably compared to traditional art.

Digital art comes with its own sets of challenges though. Digital art allows for more freedom that won't transalate to "oops I just wasted all my titanium white!" or "I am down to half my white colored pencil already :(".

Anyways what I currently doing is drawing the basic designs on paper, scanning it and then coloring/modifying it with digital tools. Its been a lot of fun so far. Traditional will always feel more personal though and that is what I love about it.
:iconpuppeteer-for-kings:
puppeteer-for-kings Dec 2, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm currently studying Graphic Design, I find that about 90% of the other students (who are illustratively inclined) tend to use digital methods. I find that using traditional techniques in my work actually gives me a bit of an edge - it makes my work stand out! I've had a few of the other students come up to me and ask me how I've created my work, which I find strange. It seems that many creative people these days are progressing from sketching straight to digital painting or vector work, without learning the traditional techniques. My teachers encourage us to experiment with traditional techniques - just not many of the students do, it seems.
I do feel a bit of pressure to work digitally though; it seems we need to be competent in it if we expect to get work. I sometimes have the urge to create things digitally, but I much prefer painting with real paints. So there is pressure there to improve my digital skills.
:iconsky-c:
Sky-C Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
I started digital this january and I have never been able to truly grasp it. I'm mostly traditional, digital art for me is just rough sketching, drafting, and doodling for fun.

I haven't really been pressured to switch completely. :)

However I am not quite fond of the increasing popularity. :stare: Digital art is great! But hey, there's beautiful traditional work that is under appreciated.
:iconant1-her0-project:
Ant1-Her0-Project Dec 2, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I used to look down on it, because I have little interest in learning the medium myself, but over the past year, I've seen some beautiful work by very talented people, and now recognize it as just another medium. I actually look forward to the day I collaborate with a talented digital artist.
:iconsmilkey:
smilkey Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I want to get into digital art because it doesn't waste as much resources as traditional art does. Digital art is getting more and more famous because we are entering a more technology-based phase, and traditional art is left somewhat under appreciated because of its inconveniences.
:icondarthaislin:
DarthAislin Dec 1, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I think digital art is more popular due to it being easier to get started in. A beginner coloring in Photoshop can sometimes do a better job than a beginner using prismacolors. So once you build your initial base in a certain media, a lot of people like to stick to it.
Myself, I started traditionally, but began to use digital due to money restrictions. I couldn't afford to keep buying prismacolors, and copics, or new sketchbooks. So I just waited some time, purchased a tablet, and started going from there.
I didn't feel any pressure from others, only pressure from my own financial limits I've always experienced.
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think the increasing popularity of digital art is interesting. I've never really gotten into it though because I like how it feels to physically draw. The movement keeps me thinking. Sometimes, I've felt some pressure to get into digital art because of the popularity and the fact that knowing art programs is mostly required in the art world now. That being said, I don't depend on art as a source of income, so really . . . digital art is more of an interest and not a need.
:iconkizziesama:
I do both traditional and digital work, and I certainly wouldn't drop one for the other :) I love working with pencils, pens and markers, but I love the ease of digital coloring (and certainly more cost effective than constantly having to buy supplies) :giggle:
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Dec 1, 2012  Professional General Artist
Firstly, 'digital art' is just another medium. The same as acrylic to oils.

You could have said "what do you feel about the increasing popularity of screen prints?" for all it mattered.

What does actually matter is how you present whatever it is that you do. If you do digital art and have a physical portfolio and get really crap print outs, no matter how good your picture was on screen the print will be crap so your art will be crap.

The same works in reverse for traditional art being presented on a digital platform (such as deviantart). If you have the best painting in the world ever, but take a crappy cell phone photo, people aren't going to pay any attention to it.

In the end what matters is not what material you choose to make it with, rather what you actually choose to make, and that people are able to appreciate it on the place you choose to share it.
:iconmy-road-to-awe:
My-Road-To-Awe Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You're right, digital art is just another medium, but it's usually the desired medium for games or movies or comics.
My questions are geared mainly towards people who wish to make money in the field of art, and digital art is in really high demand. For me as a student I'm feeling the pressure. I love drawing and painting and I'll never give that up, but I do wonder if I should also include an emphasis in digital art because it would make finding work easier.
Add a Comment: